Anyone play instruments? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Anyone play instruments?

I worried about the same thing, at one point in time.
I eventually took a music theory class in highschool, wherein I learned to seriously read sheet music (for the first time in my life) and the basic "rules" of composing music, which I enjoy immensely.
However; I haven't really applied anything I've learned to my writing or playing.
I honestly never even read sheet music that much.
Granted, it's not really something that is often used for my favored genres.

Theory wont necessarily make you a better musician.
But, it is interesting, and it certainly wont hurt to learn it.

Last edited:
I think we should make an INFJ Forum band. We can all meet in my basement and make some legit recordings.

I play guitar, bass, drums, saxophone, and some piano. Studied guitar and sax privately for 6 years and thought about going to college for music. Took theory and all that jazz, made the auditions, then decided not to go to school for music. All the rules about how music "is supposed to be", required practice, and yada yada yada didn't sit right with me. Music shouldn't be a chore and going to school for it turned it into a chore for me.

Instead I just play with my Ska band, do some mini tours, do some solo stuff (if anyone wants a link to download my stuff for free private message me), and occasionally jam with a jazz group in my area.

Sweet! Ska is good stuff.

I agree on the INFJ forum band.

Just me,

That sounds exactly like my issue. I bought a reading music book because frankly I'm sick of being inhibitted by that lack. It's like I'm all ear and no musical reading skills o_O

I'll give your posted link a whirl, though. I love challenging my ear (oh goody, just what I need)

Please do share with me when you can hear to play it so I can share in your joy!

I taught myself how to play guitar and piano. I'm way better at guitar though. I use to know how to read music, as I learned in middle school band class (I played the clarinet) but I'm out of practice.

I took violin lessons for awhile but hated it. I didn't like having someone tell me how to play. Heh, I was already too use to learning on my own.

I also play ukulele! It's extremely fun, cheers everyone in your vicinity up and sounds like pineapples. :mhula:

I took violin lessons for awhile but hated it. I didn't like having someone tell me how to play. Heh, I was already too use to learning on my own.

I don't like being told how to play either. Destroys the fun a bit and makes music seem more like a chore.

I don't like being told how to play either. Destroys the fun a bit and makes music seem more like a chore.
The exact reason why I decided not to pursue music in college even after my auditions.

I've been thinking of taking up a musical instrument but don't know which one would suit me. Any advice on how to select an instrument?

Find one you think has a nice sound, that makes you feel happy when you hold it, and that you think you can keep with long enough to actually learn it

Used to play clarinet, but stopped a few years ago. Now i can do piano and guitar by ear only, and i loooove to sing. (Not really an instrument.....)

Just leave me alone with my piano and I'll sing/write songs. No one is original nowdays. That's why I never joined a band. This has been the worst decade for music. (With 2 or 3 exceptions)

I think there is still plenty of good music being made
but it is rediculously hard to find...

And yeah, I'm not super big on people telling me how to do my art.

Well, I'm going to be brave and learn to read music...even in my late fifties.
Signing up this week. They can tell me what to do at the lessons and that is fine. What I do with it later will be my own form of art. Bought the first lesson books today for older learners. Never too old to start something new, I say.
:juggle:

If vocals count, I've done some vocals, a tiny bit of piano, and more clarinet/bass clarinet than is healthy.

Just leave me alone with my piano and I'll sing/write songs. No one is original nowdays. That's why I never joined a band. This has been the worst decade for music. (With 2 or 3 exceptions)
You don't have to be original; you have to have passion. If you have the passion I couldn't care less what you sound like because the dedication will set you apart from everyone else.

The best music isn't found on the radio or in the record store. It's with the kids.

I agree that everyone is becoming less original but there's still alot of really good songs out there. One thing that's annoyning me though is that the mainstreamers are turning to the alternative music and making it mainstream. I think alot of people tend to lose sight once they start making alot of money and become more famous. Plus music isn't as fun when it's played to death.

But yeah, I was really disappointed when learning the violin just became stressful. There is no just playing and enjoying your instrument when it comes to exams. It was getting to the point where I had to know the history of the composers of the pieces I was playing as well. And if I wanted to get into 6th grade I had to have my 3rd grade musicianship within 18 months and I hadn't even achieved my 1st. So I got my second grade musicianship and 5th grade practical and stopped at that.

Last edited:
Guitar & piano. I'm learning to play the didgeridoo at the moment, but I have to admit I'm not making a lot of progress with this one.:m025:

I've got a geetarr and a keyborrd. Although I don't play them that often =/

I make music on the computer though, a lot less practice is needed :D

I've got a few tunes up at youtube: http://youtube.com/drsolace
There's also some more at http://mulquin.net/songday

Guitar & piano. I'm learning to play the didgeridoo at the moment, but I have to admit I'm not making a lot of progress with this one.:m025:

Didgeridoos are awesome :)

They are! But I wish someone could teach me. The sound I get out of it.. well, I wouldn't exactly call it music :)

Does it happen to sound like the majestic winds of passing gas? I happened to notice that's about all I got from it.. :)