What's the longest you've gone without eating? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What's the longest you've gone without eating?

The longest I've gone is not having breakfast, and then not having anything until dinner time at 6pm. So from supper time one day until 6pm the next day ~ 20 hours.

If I don't have breakfast, then I don't usually feel very hungry during the day.

I don't like eating at lunchtime though. I like to relax after my meals, and its normal for me to feel tired and disinterested mid afternoon if I eat stuff at lunchtime.

Last edited:
I've voluntarily gone about a week without food; just water with 1/4 lemon juice. It started with a 48 hour fast to benefit something or other, and then I thought, Hey, I'm on a roll! Let's see how long I can hold out on this!

I was crankier than Mr. McCrankenstein, but after the fast, my skin and my hair were lustrous. I felt lighter and healthier too. Totally worth it. I just don't know if I'd be able to get around to doing it again.

Last edited:
I fast every single night. for around 5-12 hours depending. then I break fast in the morning :m122:

It's interesting to see that I'm apparently not alone in this... I was curious, and searched the internet, and now I'm here; reading all of your responses. I often either forget meals, or (more frequently) just feel too busy to get around to it. Often, I'm knee-deep in a problem of some sort and it seems like it'd compromise the integrity of the mission to stop to eat, like it would somehow distract me from finding the solution. It bothers me, though. It's weird, at work, I can be pretty insistent on keeping a solid schedule for lunch, and when I'm forced to deviate, it isn't a pretty sight. I often skip it of my own accord, though, and feel like absolute crap. I have metabolic issues, and I'm not supposed to fast *ever*, but even today, I've eaten only once during my waking hours so far, from 6:30 this morning to now, 10:30 PM. I was wondering, could this be a type specific trait? I'm suddenly reminded of Ghandi for some reason... Or maybe this behavior is some mild manifestation of OCD? Some strange form of self punitive behavior? I wonder the results of a poll on this would look like.

I went on a hunger strike as a kid when I REALLY didn't want to go camping. It didn't work but I stopped eating for 3 days anyhow

My step-mom was sick in the hospital for a year and half, and wasn't allowed to eat or drink the entire time. She got her nutrients through an IV. I'm not sure if this counts, but yeah. That's the longest time I've heard of.

related question: has anyone ever fasted for a long time, either for religious reasons or health reasons? i want to try it =p

The longest time I've went without eating would probably be like half a day. Sometimes I just forget meals and other times I just choose not to eat (Example, I ate something when i got home from school yesterday and my parents decided that I had already ate dinner when I only ate a snack, I was sleepy and decided to not get out of bed and cook dinner even though I was hungry.)

For health reasons, I've went a day without eating but that was for my wisdom teeth.

I didn't eat for a week about 5 months ago. It wasn't really a healthy thing to do.

I was anorexic in HS...It was nearly a year before anyone noticed that I never ate anything...I ate small meals at home because my parents made me...but I literally ate one bite of food...usually I spit it out.

I drank water and such too, but I never really ate anything...Arbys right after a while, you dont even notice hunger...

Now I forget to eat...all the time...it wont be till dinner time that I realize I havnt eaten that day.

I guess I'd be the exception to the INFJ rule then, 'cause I usually only stop eating when I remember not to eat. Which is rare.

The longest I've fasted as for about 6-7 days. I took liquids (whey protein) but that was it. Some people would say 'that's not a legit' fast, but I assure you, when you're drinking something that has the consistency of water, it might as well be water. It did nothing to sate hunger.

Water fast? About a day and a half.

Juice fast? About 5 days. There's a really strange irritability that sets in around then.

I fasted 1 time on only water for 5 days... I dont recommend it.

Bah, maybe if I skip breakfast and then lunch that'd be the longest. I can't not eat, I cook for fun, and I'm always thinking about my next meal. :m175:

The longest fast I ever did was one where I stopped in the middle of Day 4. That said, it was a total fast - no food, no juice, no water even - nothing. In retrospect, not a smart thing to do, but I am glad I did it. The change in consciousness was impressive.

If I were to do one again (not likely) and I was able to drink juice, I think it could go on a long time - there are lots of carbs in certain juices, and nutrients besides. A water-only fast would certainly be more difficult, not to mention problematic as it regards a couple of the meds I take.

cheers,
Ian

30 hours:for the annual 30-hour famine to support World Vison so that needy families in the world can be helped.

40 days, when my late fiance died in a head on collision right after our wedding rehearsal. I was forced to drink something after two and a half days without though.

I went from 215 to 160. Gained it all back though, then lost back down to 175.

I'm married now, though.

Reactions: rawr
40 days, when my late fiance died in a head on collision right after our wedding rehearsal. I was forced to drink something after two and a half days without though.

I went from 215 to 160. Gained it all back though, then lost back down to 175.

I'm married now, though.

I can't imagine picking myself up and moving on through an experience like yours....
I just wanted to comment on this and let you know I'm glad you made it through and I'm glad you didn't succumb to the same fate.
Sometimes I feel like I've been through the absolute worst torture any human could experience... but reading this reminded me to not take so many things for granted...

condolences, and best wishes

I'm actually really quite fascinated with the concept of fasting.

I find fasting to be an interesting experience.
I enjoy fasting fairly regularly. Never for more than a week at a time though I've considered going longer amounts of time. I'm just not sure it's necessarily a good idea health-wise.