What's the longest you've gone without eating? | INFJ Forum

What's the longest you've gone without eating?

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
related question: has anyone ever fasted for a long time, either for religious reasons or health reasons? i want to try it =p

I can't keep any fast. Hardly i can live without food only for 5 hours. After that i need food. So i eat light food to keep myself controlled.

I wonder, how mine family keeps fast for one day long for their religious belief. I am spiritual not that religious, when i do this i feel something is going to trap me and going to limit my heart. Sometimes i feel, there is no need to do such thing, if we have full faith in god. Pure and True faith is enough for god.

Reactions: TinyBubbles
I go a full 24 hours to 48 hours without eating around 4 times a month or so. Not really out of choice, I am either too busy, too anxious/upset to eat (it makes food unappealing to me), or I flat out forget to eat.

The longest, maybe like 3 days? I was none too pleased by that point though.

My eating patterns are actually really messed up..I can spend an entire day without eating..and then the next day an entire day of eating..and so on..it must be stress.

You may not believe me, and it was very, very hard for the first week.

But. I once fasted for 30 days.

Yes. I went without eating for a month. I had water and juices and tea and coffee, but that was it.

It was for religious reasons - and a bit more.

Yes. I went without eating for a month. I had water and juices and tea and coffee, but that was it.

wow a whole month! you must have the stamina of an ox, i don't think i could last nearly that long. did it make you feel sick?

wow a whole month! you must have the stamina of an ox, i don't think i could last nearly that long. did it make you feel sick?

No. After the first five or six days your body stops sending such severe hunger signals. And soon you don't really have them at all. You need to drink as much water as possible and I do *not* advocate this if you're in a wrong state of mind or spirit. It can be deadly if you don't do it the right way.

I did lose about 20 pounds...but yep, it came right back. Plus some.

It was a good cleanse, though.

Dang Arby, I've tried my hand at fasting. Realy I don't pick times to fast for fastings sake, but when I do it's to devote myself to something. Mainly prayer over a specific subject. But then it's never been more then a days worth.

It wasn't easy...but it was a serious matter, and it needed some serious reflection time. And it ended up lasting longer than I thought it would, but that's ok too. But it's *not* for everyone. Not at all.

I hate not eating. The longest I've gone without eating is probably about a day, and that wasn't by choice.

I have gone for a month or so with minimal food intake. This was due to stress and emotional pain, and there was just no desire or motivation to eat at that time. I remember I was able to pick at a bit of food every 2 or 3 days to keep me going, but I craved water like crazy. I drank coffee and juice as well, but it was mainly a month without eating more than a small piece of cheese and maybe an apple in one day. I did end up losing about 20 lbs but I looked aweful and all veiny. My arms and hands were like sticks with green lines showing through. I hope I never have that aweful grief feeling again, as that was why I lost my appetite. Stress is very dangerous for me and so is being too busy. I just can't feel hungry during these times.

I've gone a few days without eating, and it usually happens when I'm really stressed out. I'll get so busy that I'll forget to eat. It might happen again before this semester is over. I have so much to do, and so little time. When I get so bogged down with work, I have to remember to remind myself to eat. Normally I eat like a horse all day long, but for some reason, stress makes me forget.

If you are in the mood for it, try it, could be lots of fun. By the end of the second full day, you'll feel like there's no gravity. :) I've fasted a few times for over 10 days, and sometimes for a couple of days. But after the first 3 days it usually becomes easier, and is a matter of just avoiding major blackouts, to start eating again on time. You should be careful if you do it longer than a week, it can be dangerous.

I think, since it definitely becomes easier after the first 3 days, maybe it's correct that some people recommend only 3 days; and that's what some practical religious beliefs include. This way it's not so much fun, it would be struggle all around, but it's probably healthier.

If you intend it for losing weight, on the long run, probably not the best choice. It's not so efficient, on its own. It could assist other measures, in order to bring variety and surprise your body with a new challenge. I've done it sometimes, because I just felt like doing it, I can't explain. Like cats and dogs eat grass sometimes. "Now, let's experience this. Okay, nice."

I usually only drink water. And very little amounts. Then, at first, I can't even eat hard foods for a while. Half a toast seems like enormous piece of food, which one could chew for a day or too. Lol. The first time I did this, I got afraid I could never eat harder stuff again, but don't worry, the usual eating habits come back pretty fast. Overall, I'd say fasting has turned out surprisingly more easier than I once thought.

I've never felt like going for more than around two weeks, or for a month. It's probably possible on juice, but I prefer only water, and on water around second week the blackouts usually turn the red alert for me. They almost annoy me, because otherwise I feel great and could go on easily. It actually takes more effort to start eating again, but fortunately such accidents can scare you enough to return from the fast.

Last edited:
I often stop eating--and sleeping--during manias, which mercifully haven't troubled me for the last 18 months. I wish I could say I had done it for spiritual reasons; I think that could be helpful, but when I stop eating, it's for emotional reasons. My friend Paul, however, fasts for spiritual reasons. The last time he did it, he was 64 and fasted for a week. He said it was much harder than when he was younger and in better health, but he felt better after the fast. Like Arby, he stressed staying hydrated with water, tea, juices and (for him) coffee.

I may be called upon soon to make a rather important decision and may try fasting as a way to clear out all the slag, but not without asking my psychiatrist first. I value my stability and wouldn't want to upset the applecart.

This is really great!

Daaaamn arbygil! That's an impressive feat! Btw I've got a barrel full of rainwater out back and I was wondering if perhaps you could turn it into barley wine...ifffff, you're not, you know, busy or anything.

Awesome!

I feel as though I am in the company of a real super-woman.

6 hours. My sis fainted and I nearly did. We've got blood sugar issues XD

However, I do have be reminded to eat and this makes me worry for when I go to uni...

I dunno if it was super or not, but I did it...but yeah, it can jack up your system too.

Unless I'm on a severe hunger strike, I doubt I'd do it again. I'd rather keep it three days or less. :mhula: