What is your creative outlet? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

What is your creative outlet?

Cool, Von Hase!

In Wonderment, how awesome that you asked this! I was thinking about it sometime last night or today, considering creating the very same thread!! :D

:m107:

I love taking pictures.

I love writing (mostly non-fiction) and also playing music. If I can I love playing music with others but that's gotten more rare as I've gotten older, sadly.

Nothing really. I mean I draw, do graphic design and play guitar but it's mostly dicking around. I haven't found my medium yet. I have wanted to start photography for a while, but am so exceptionally poor.

Oh I do balloon twisting, like balloon animals and stuff. Kinda campy but I like it. When I get better I want to make sculptures out of it. :flypig:

Beautiful work, Von Hase. You obviously have talent and don't waste it.

I used to draw a lot when I was little but I lost interest. I was also into playing the violin and piano but now, I wouldn't consider it as my passion. I compose music once in a while but then, I don't write them down so the next day, I forget. I also created layouts for social websites but I lost interest. I'm interested in photography but unfortunately, I don't have a camera. It's writing that I am into currently.

Von Hase, that is what you call TALENT. Bravissimo!

Last edited:
I like to write and draw/sketch/paint, but my perfectionism tends to get the better of me. I just... can't... seem.... to express myself... clearly! :m142:

I like to write and draw/sketch/paint, but my perfectionism tends to get the better of me. I just... can't... seem.... to express myself... clearly! :m142:

remige. i actually have that exact problem. it's either i spend hours on something, and it looks like a masterpiece... or i can't do anything at all. the perfectionism is more of a burden than people think. sometimes it stops you from acting at all.

Nothing really. I mean I draw, do graphic design and play guitar but it's mostly dicking around. I haven't found my medium yet.

Ditto that! Except the guitar part. I haven't found my outlet yet. I like to create computer programs/scripts. I like to listen to music. I've got numerous creative "likes" but just haven't found my niche yet. Although a family member just got me a set of water colour paints at Christmas I've yet to try out...

remige. i actually have that exact problem. it's either i spend hours on something, and it looks like a masterpiece... or i can't do anything at all. the perfectionism is more of a burden than people think. sometimes it stops you from acting at all.

That problem is the only reason I ended up with my skills. I kept going until I got it right. It took me years and years, and thousands of sketches and drawings. I have many peers in the illustration field, and all of them have the same biography. Keep going until you master it, and be ready to work for years until you do.

Talent is simply that part of yourself that says, "No, this isn't right yet."

Skill is the part of yourself that says, "This is how to do it."

Mastery is the part of yourself that says, "My skill will not rest until my talent says it can."

In all honesty, talent isn't an innate ability to perform a skill. It's just the ability to see a need for improvement where others may not. This is the case with any skill that people are considered to have a talent for.

While most people can draw a picture and then realize that something is wrong with it, few people can 'see' what it needs to be right. As NFJ's, we are uniquely equipped with an advantage in this area of cognition for artistic endeavors. Fe gives us the drive to express ourselves outwardly on an artistic level. Se sees the problem. Ni leads us to the solution. Ti helps us reason how to solve the problem on an abstract level.

To any of you who feel that your work is 'not good enough', I say this. Keep at it, and know that you have the capacity to be among the greatest artists in your fields. The only thing it will take for you to improve is dedication to the art. You have all the other talents you need. You can be truly great if you will do nothing more than devote the time and effort to do so because your cognitive abilities grant you all the 'talent' you need.

And finally, as NFJs or any other MBTI type, this advice is just as valid. Developing artistic skill is a great way to improve your Ni, Se, Fe, and Ti. While NFJs have natural advantages with these functions, we by no means have the market cornered. My father is an ISTP (also Ti, Se, Ni, Fe but with Ti and Se dominant) and developed a profound amount of artistic ability in illustration very early in his life before becoming a martial arts instructor (the Ni/Se combo I've mentioned in other threads) and eventually an R&D engineer for the government. His work is very precise and technical, but still very artistic and of very high quality. My mother is an ESFJ (Fe and Ti, but Si and Ne) she is also an accomplished watercolorist, who has had showings in galleries around the world. However, my father and I inspired her to develop her artistic skills, and I was able to watch her develop her Ni and Se as I was growing up. While it was more frustrating for her than it was for me, she kept at it and developed a great degree of skill. But, at the same time, her personality began to change into that of a more balanced and healthy individual as she enhanced her Ni and Se.

On a related note: I have no musical abilities whatsoever. I gave up before I ever developed them.

Last edited:
I'm across the board with creative outlets. I don't like having just one, so I end up having too many and jumping from outlet to outlet as it suits my mood.

I draw a lot. It's my dream to be a comic artist/ animator someday. I'm going to college for that, most likely. I typically use Photoshop and traditional inking with either a pen, pen nibs and ink, or brush and ink.

Right now, I play flute in the band, and I have a piccolo and a bass guitar in my room that I really should practice more often. I used to play the cello, but I couldn't find an instructor later, so I don't play it anymore. I still have it though, and I would love to take it up again. I absolutely love singing.

I write poetry occasionally, when the mood strikes me. I'd like to write more. However, writing to me is intensely personal, more so than my other outlets, and I get hesitant with showing it to people.

My current venture is film making. I'm learning how to use Final Cut Pro, and I'm beginning to think I could make something of that in the future as well. I'd like to get more into photography on the side of this, too.

When I was drawing, I could draw any animal, plant, landscape, machine, insect etc.....

But I could not draw people.

MSpaint
It gets the job done.
ohmygod.png

Seriously though, I draw, write, make music, etc. Whatever catches my creative interest.
Edit: Contrary to popular belief, joint rolling is an art. And Von Hase has some badass art. I love those drawings. =D

Last edited:
I also like to do bead art...looming. I would LOVE to learn how to knit.

I have all liked to write and draw. Last year for some reason I really wanted to make some collages portraying negative images in a awkward or positive light. I bought a bunch of those multi pic frames from the dollar store and replaced the pictures of somebody else's family with my collages.Here are a few

The Ninja Family

Skull Family 1

Skull Family 2

hm I draw (though I don't consider myself much creative at it) and oil paint

Hahahahaa. I'm really tired today! Initial passing thought as I was scrolling through: "What's that big white thing with the big red thing in the middle?" *pause* *scrolls back up* "Oh, it's a mushroom person!" *pause* "But why would a mushroom person have a big red button nose?... Waaait, what is a mushroom person?!" simultaneously: "I like that the mushroom has a hat and a briefcase, very fitting".

The mushroom person looks like it works at an engineering/nuclear plant of some sort. Going home (saying good-bye) after a day's work.

MSpaint
It gets the job done.
ohmygod.png

Seriously though, I draw, write, make music, etc. Whatever catches my creative interest.
Edit: Contrary to popular belief, joint rolling is an art. And Von Hase has some badass art. I love those drawings. =D

Last edited: