Too Fat to Graduate | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Too Fat to Graduate

I'm sure there are people that would claim the same for skin tanning/bleaching.

Skin tanning isn't really the same as "skin colour" Tanning affects melanin and melanocyte via UVA rays but melanocyte's can only produce so much melanin, if any substantial amount for some people. Tanning, in general, is a dangerous thing and it can not last. Weight loss treatment (are you using this particular word for a reason, ala is it the definition I'm not understanding?) is not inherently dangerous and can be somewhat permanent with proper supervision (By aiming to stay around the same "healthy" weight)

So here is the standard that was set.

Weight loss therapy must be:

-Long lasting
-Not dangerous
-Not ridiculous

Long Lasting:

Over 5 decades, it has been demonstrated repeatedly that dietary therapy fails to achieve weight loss maintenance.34–36http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/51/6/1426#R35-085944http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/51/6/1426#R36-085944 Stunkard commented on this in 1958.34 Kramer et al confirmed it in 1989.35 Rosenbaum et al stated in 1997 that "approximately two thirds of persons who lose weight will regain it within one year, and almost all persons who lose weight will regain it within five years."36

Source

Even the most effective weight loss treatment that we have (bariatric surgery) while acheiving some weight loss and maintenance, does not normalise body size for the majority of people.

Not dangerous:

Given the spectacular failure of the "safe" treatments shown above many people turn to drastic dangerous practices such as anorexia and bulimia.

Anorexia is thought to have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder, with anywhere from 6-20% of those who are diagnosed with the disorder eventually dying from related causes.

Source

Not ridiculous:

This rules out things like this treatment, surgically attached tongue patch.

So here is the standard that was set.

Weight loss therapy must be:

-Long lasting
-Not dangerous
-Not ridiculous

Long Lasting:

Source

Even the most effective weight loss treatment that we have (bariatric surgery) while acheiving some weight loss and maintenance, does not normalise body size for the majority of people.

Not dangerous:

Given the spectacular failure of the "safe" treatments shown above many people turn to drastic dangerous practices such as anorexia and bulimia.

Source

Not ridiculous:

This rules out things like this treatment, surgically attached tongue patch.

So, based on this article, we are not on the same subject. I was not discussing morbid obesity; I find that to be an whole other issue in itself. I was speaking of, as the paper says, moderate obesity. Interesting paper though.

Not to break up the current debate, but regarding the original post: That's messed up. There shouldn't be any aesthetic requirements as far as graduation is concerned. If the kid maybe failed some essential classes due to lack of EFFORT, maybe. Even if you do poorly in PE because of your weight, the grade should be based on effort. =P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J0_QzcSgiU"]YouTube- Entenmann's Cake Commercial[/ame]

So, based on this article, we are not on the same subject. I was not discussing morbid obesity; I find that to be an whole other issue in itself. I was speaking of, as the paper says, moderate obesity. Interesting paper though.

That is a problem, most people seem to define obesity in their own way, in discussion I always define it as having a BMI of over 30 as that is the definition most of the research literature uses and splitting obesity into moderate and morbid seems much less common.

Just like weight loss treatment! :D

Must we really get into an argument over the difference between getting to a reasonable, healthy weight and altering your pigmentation? Whether your intention or not you are coming off as needlessly pedantic.

Must we really get into an argument over the difference between getting to a reasonable, healthy weight and altering your pigmentation? Whether your intention or not you are coming off as needlessly pedantic.

Well I suppose when it comes to deciding what is and isn't grounds for discrimination we (as in people in general) probably should be pedantic and clear, to ensure we are looking past our cultural biases and not discriminating needlessly or unfairly.

Guess no one has ever heard of contract law. I won this argument ages ago.

She knew the requirements to pass, she fucked up.

haha, I was wondering when someone would mention that.
Posted via Mobile Device

The argument never was about whether they could implement the policy (legally), it was a question of whether they should.

No, that's what you made the argument. Not what it is.

Besides, given that she SIGNED the document, fully intending to follow on with it, they had every right, and she should not be a whinging bitch about it.
Honestly, she's being as bad as a pom about this.

The argument never was about whether they could implement the policy (legally), it was a question of whether they should.

This is actually what I intended the discussion to be about.

[/COLOR]

You can get a tan or bleach your skin.

icon14.gif

We can even change our face, why not ?

The point is the "fat problem" is only for those who are not happy with it.
Where is the problem for the happy ones?

And we are there to say they are wrong?
Even if our opinions are in the majority ?

Sometimes I get the impression that democracy as simply gang rape under the banner of "what is right and what is wrong".

Last edited:
Yes, that's precisely what Democracy is. However, contract law is not democracy, it's two entities going into a legally binding agreement.

Under contract law, most psychopaths, like Jigsaw, are ethical and concerned citizens. They offer their victims a choice for personal growth. Well, a few limbs lost along the way, who counts.

Besides, suppose you are poor, and such a school is the only one near you, so you can't afford traveling to other schools. Or suppose a critical mass of schools adopts such policy.

Children would wake up directly in Jigsaw's torture rooms, and perfectly legal.

Well I suppose when it comes to deciding what is and isn't grounds for discrimination we (as in people in general) probably should be pedantic and clear, to ensure we are looking past our cultural biases and not discriminating needlessly or unfairly.

For the most part I would agree with that, but even when I was making my earlier post I thought of being more specific but decided not to, assuming that no one would argue for the sake of it and insinuate that losing weight is the same thing as various hazards measures of skin altering.
I honestly cannot see how the two compare.

I honestly cannot see how the two compare.

Ok, but I thought I laid out pretty clearly how both therapies tend to be not lasting, dangerous and sometimes ridiculous.

How exactly?

It's one freaking prerequisite at a non-state run university! It's not like you don't need underwater basket weaving classes! I mean, yeah, maybe it's a bit harsh with the singling out , but there are a lot more appalling things than the first African American university in the country admitting to a cultural stereotype and attempting to be part of the solution.