Too Fat to Graduate | INFJ Forum

Too Fat to Graduate

That is just sad, that we look at things such as a person's body weight to not let them graduate on something they work hard to achieve..an emergence of new kinds of what was known as racism back in the 1900's..is this what we are coming to??I'm very ashamed by this.

It's a good idea to provide free Physical fitness courses to people who are obese, but not to make it a requirement for graduating an unrelated academic qualifcation. My P.E. teacher at school would have laughed his head off at this, and then the punishment would have begun... :p

I'm appalled.

People are free to be appear and maintain a lifestyle any way they want.
This is ridiculous. I bet it will be overturned soon.

That is just sad, that we look at things such as a person's body weight to not let them graduate on something they work hard to achieve..an emergence of new kinds of what was known as racism back in the 1900's..is this what we are coming to??I'm very ashamed by this.

I agree. This is like a slap to the face for those hard-working students that spend hours studying and making sure they can be the greatest students that they can be, simply to be told that they aren't allowed to graduate due to being overweight. If they were so concerned, couldn't they just allow a summer-school type program after they graduate, that is *optional* and would help them lose the weight instead? This really saddens me...

It's horrific and it send the wrong message: You will be punished and denied access to succeed in life if you are overweight. Instead of making it a penalty to take the course they should turn it into an incentive. They should say instead, "if you complete this class and successfully reduce your BMI within your acceptable range, we will take $500 off your current tuition." *That* would be an incentive to take the class, fit or not. And then it would be the choice of the student.

No one will continue healthy exercise practices if forced to - and to be honest, for some it's not about exercising enough; it's about what they're eating. Or sometimes it is what it is.

Last edited:
Though I do believe it is imperative for the obesity issue to be looked at, I don't think that by forcing students to take this course will help much since it's starts from the individual to take an active approach to do something about their own health.

I don't disagree with this.

The students knew it coming in, and didn't change schools, therefore they are subject to its rulings.
It wasn't just placed on students, this was placed on a class of students and followed them all the way to graduation.

Lawson should have paid attention, and changed universities if she didn't think it should apply to her.

The problem is, it benefits no one. The school receives bad publicity, the students feel ostracized and put out, no one will continue the practice after they take the course (unless they really wanted to take the class in the first place)...you can't shame people to lose weight. It has to be a choice that they make, when they want to make it.

Granted it is a private school and they can make whatever rules they want to, but they should consider the outcome. I wonder how many students will continue those habits after they graduate?

Alright, I understand where Shai's coming from, and agree with him that people who didn't argue at first, should have to deal with the consequences, but I also think that school rule is stupid. Women naturally have higher BMI's then men, so my guess is that it's mostly women in those classes. Drinking is also a huge problem on college campuses - where is the graduation requirement for preventing that?

I also think that not only is that a stupid criteria to graduate, but it's also ridiculous that only 'certain' people have to take those classes. And do they have special classes for those who are physically handicapped?

I also believe it's your right to do whatever you want with your own body - eat, do drugs, drink - it's your body, therefore it's your choice and you have to pay the consequences.

I also liked Arbygil's point about 'shaming.'

Reactions: Raccoon Love
Alright, I understand where Shai's coming from, and agree with him that people who didn't argue at first, should have to deal with the consequences, but I also think that school rule is stupid. Women naturally have higher BMI's then men, so my guess is that it's mostly women in those classes. Drinking is also a huge problem on college campuses - where is the graduation requirement for preventing that?

I also think that not only is that a stupid criteria to graduate, but it's also ridiculous that only 'certain' people have to take those classes. And do they have special classes for those who are physically handicapped?

I also believe it's your right to do whatever you want with your own body - eat, do drugs, drink - it's your body, therefore it's your choice and you have to pay the consequences.

I also liked Arbygil's point about 'shaming.'

I agree 100% with this, very well said

There is no graduation requirement. There's a LAW.

The Drinking Age in the USA is 21 years old.
The University Graduation Age is generally 21.

The problem is, it benefits no one. The school receives bad publicity, the students feel ostracized and put out, no one will continue the practice after they take the course (unless they really wanted to take the class in the first place)...you can't shame people to lose weight. It has to be a choice that they make, when they want to make it.

I disagree with the statement it's about shaming them into it.

When this class signed on this rule was in place. It has to do with graduation requirements and obviously this girl amongst others did not pay attention.
Now that lack of attention to a graduation requirement is biting her in the arse.

She fully acknowledges that she wasn't paying attention until the last year.

Well? What if it was an academic or another similar extra-curricular activity such as a set number of hours for social good works required to keep up the colleges reputation?

It should apply to everyone or nobody. We have a dietary crisis in this country, and obesity that crisis is not necessarily reflected in obesity. There are people of all BMIs who eat poorly and need exercise. Targeting the obese is only going to address a fraction of the problem and lead to further stigmatization of the group.

I should be at the gym right now.

Just because the school can do something like this doesn't make it any less stupid.

I actually think there are a lot of stupid university requirements, but this has to be right up there.

I think someone could do a discrimination against overweight people lawsuit. Maybe get their money back for the gym classes they were required to pay for.

If I set up a unniversity I will require that students eat an enormous chocolate chip cookie before they can graduate. :D If they don't like the cookie, that's cool. No honours though.

Reactions: Moxie