Too Fat to Graduate | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Too Fat to Graduate

As far as the alcohol deally... It's a self weeding process. Most that cannot control themselves end up failing out.

And I like the system the military academies have with mandatory sports for all cadets each semester.

Totally hypocritical.. since the cafeteria can't even offer low-fat choices to the students. On an interview one of the Deans said that it would be too expensive to provide only low-fat or organic/healthy cafeteria foods... But they can take allll that tuition from obese students. Yeah.

Last edited:
Oh, I read that article. But it's obvious that two different stories exist here. One is from the school newspaper, the other is from CNN. It could very well be that the changes to the core could have been recent, or not. It might not have been in the core for her particular college at Lincoln University (meaning: If she was in the Humanities college vs the Math & Science college at Lincoln) but it might not have been universal until recently. Or it might not have been enforced.

Both papers could technically be right.

What about people like me that eat crap and don't exercise much but aren't obese?

It leads me to believe it's much more about cultural and aesthetic attitudes than about health.

People on certain anti-psychiotic or depression medication gain a lot of weight and it is difficult for them to lose.. People with hypo thyroid have no control over their weight. I agree Quin, it is discrimination.

Well, just from a logical standpoint, I don't think the school should require people above a certain bmi to take a course when the bmi is not a good indicator of health. I am not really bothered by it if the kids knew what they were getting into, but I also know how hard it is to lose weight and I would be simply stunned that, at one point, I would have been way to fat to graduate. I do applaud the school though, it might have been a bad idea but they are one in few who are facing the very real problem of obesity and it's effects.

I think this is only the beginning of this sort of thing.

I think this is only the beginning of this sort of thing.
You're probably right, but I also hope it's gonna end very fast, this time.

Last edited:
Frankly I really don't care, the health issues rampant today are getting worse and people are growing lazier. I really don't care if a school is telling its students to get their arses into gear, although it would be better if all students were encouraged to to so.

I don't really see it as a huge deal. Many colleges require a PE class before graduation -- the difference here is the discriminatory factor of BMI. However, those with a BMI over 30, even if BMI is not the best indicator of health, probably have some health issues either in the workings or on the horizon.

I neither necessarily agree nor disagree. If it's just a class, then that's probably not the biggest thing to get worked up about. I can understand why they would do it, since obesity has been becoming a huge problem. However, it does pinpoint a certain group, which can be harmful.

In my high school we were required to complete physical ed in order to graduate. Why can't they just add some sub par gym class for the heavier set people and keep them moving?..:m075:

In my high school we were required to complete physical ed in order to graduate. Why can't they just add some sub par gym class for the heavier set people and keep them moving?..:m075:

Exercise does not always mean weight loss for some folks, though. Even when in tandem with healthy eating. Certain disorders, medications or abnormal hormonal fluctuations can make it very difficult to lose weight, even when you're doing everything right.

One of my good friends is an example. She lost a ton of weight for a fitness competition in a very short time at the end of last and the beginning of this year... and then gained almost twice the amount back in a matter of months. And she hasn't been able to lose it since. She's doing everything to get herself back on track; her self-esteem has taken an immense beating and I strongly doubt that she's secretly binging when we're all not looking. She teaches aerobics four times a week, on top of clocking in for her regular daily work outs. She's very self-disciplined and eats very healthy. But the dramatic weightloss earlier this year weakened her already sensitive thyroid and she can't lose the weight... no matter what she does.

Granted, she's not obese as she is now moderately overweight for her frame, but imagine if she were approaching the BMI 30 requirement. Short of getting some sort of liposuction or other extreme body modification surgery, she would not be able to satisfy the school's requirements for graduation.

Certainly, such folks are, in reality, much rarer than the people whose bodies would actually respond to a healthier lifestyle, but they definitely do exist. :/

Exercise does not always mean weight loss for some folks, though. Even when in tandem with healthy eating. Certain disorders, medications or abnormal hormonal fluctuations can make it very difficult to lose weight, even when you're doing everything right.

One of my good friends is an example. She lost a ton of weight for a fitness competition in a very short time at the end of last and the beginning of this year... and then gained almost twice the amount back in a matter of months. And she hasn't been able to lose it since. She's doing everything to get herself back on track; her self-esteem has taken an immense beating and I strongly doubt that she's secretly binging when we're all not looking. She teaches aerobics four times a week, on top of clocking in for her regular daily work outs. She's very self-disciplined and eats very healthy. But the dramatic weightloss earlier this year weakened her already sensitive thyroid and she can't lose the weight... no matter what she does.

Granted, she's not obese as she is now moderately overweight for her frame, but imagine if she were approaching the BMI 30 requirement. Short of getting some sort of liposuction or other extreme body modification surgery, she would not be able to satisfy the school's requirements for graduation.

Certainly, such folks are, in reality, much rarer than the people whose bodies would actually respond to a healthier lifestyle, but they definitely do exist. :/

She knew she had a sensitive thyroid before she began the insane dieting?

She knew she had a sensitive thyroid before she began the insane dieting?

No, I imagine this is what her doctor is speculating. She went from 150lbs-ish to 118lbs on a 5"7 frame in a matter of three months. :/

Students who have such issues should just get a doctors note and become excused from any physical activity or unnecessary weight burden issues.. :m056:

No, I imagine this is what her doctor is speculating. She went from 150lbs-ish to 118lbs on a 5"7 frame in a matter of three months. :/

Very unhealthy. Sorry to hear that about your friend. Im 5'7 and I am considered very slim weighing 140. Imagine at 118 pounds...:m100:

wow. I mean, it's good that people are encouraged to do exercise and be healthier, but I find this too radical to be a good thing. I think they shouldn't force them to loose weight, but to urge them to do exercise (no weight loosing requirement) in exchange for getting extra credits in certain assignatures or something.

Last edited: