Too Fat to Graduate | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Too Fat to Graduate

Students who have such issues should just get a doctors note and become excused from any physical activity or unnecessary weight burden issues.. :m056:

That is, of course, provided they're aware they have such an issue. Hypothyroidism happens to be pretty easy to detect. But what about weight-gain as a side effect? Not so easy to separate the wheat from the chafe when your blood tests don't tell the whole story. And then you'd have to find a doctor that would be willing to investigate this further.

My friend had been to three different doctors who told her to eat right and exercise, even after she brought in all her food and exercise journals. They said that weight gain on such a program was impossible and accused her of lying. She had to get a note from her trainer for them to take her seriously.

Now on top of the stigma, imagine if the doc knows this person needs a note from him/her in order to graduate. That only invites skepticism.

Last edited:
No, I imagine this is what her doctor is speculating. She went from 150lbs-ish to 118lbs on a 5"7 frame in a matter of three months. :/

Jesus Christ, why can't you Americans use the metric system, arrrgh!

That's an insane weight drop

But this wasn't the first time she has gone on a diet I presume?

Last edited:
That is, of course, provided they're aware they have such an issue. An hypothyroidism happens to be pretty easy to detect. But what about weight-gain as a side effect? Not so easy to separate the wheat from the chafe when your blood tests don't tell the whole story. And then you'd have to find a doctor that would be willing to investigate this further.

My friend had been to three different doctors who told her to eat right and exercise, even after she brought in all her food and exercise journals. They said that weight gain on such a program was impossible and accused her of lying. She had to get a note from her trainer for them to take her seriously.

Now on top of the stigma, imagine if the doc knows this person needs a note from him/her in order to graduate. That only invites skepticism.
wow that sucks. is that in canada?

Jesus Christ, why can't you Americans use the metric system, arrrgh!

That's an insane weight drop

But this wasn't the first time she has gone on a diet I presume?

Nope, but she never did anything this drastic.

And I'm not American in the strictest sense :p

Last edited:
wow that sucks. is that in canada?

I'm sure Canada isn't the only place where you'd encounter attitudes like this. Ignorance doesn't stop at the border.

Last edited:
She went to two different competitions. She didn't win anything for FAME, but she got third place in Fitness Star.

She deffo doesn't look healthy there imo, her bf % is too low. Women should never have a bf % that low

She deffo doesn't look healthy there imo, her bf % is too low. Women should never have a bf % that low

Different competitions have different requirements and standards for the "ideal." I personally did not at all like what she had done with her body.

Different competitions have different requirements and standards for the "ideal." I personally did not at all like what she had done with her body.

Yeah I know that, but it is very unhealthy.

Have you ever competed, if not, do you aspire to?

I think I got confused. I thought I read this story about a week ago, and from what I understood the students just had to take a class about fitness and nutrition. They weren't required to lose any weight. I'm not sure if I wanna go back and RTFA now, heh.

Yeah I know that, but it is very unhealthy.

Have you ever competed, if not, do you aspire to?

At the beginning of the summer, I was planning on entering for the Halloween competition, but the LSAT ended up taking up a lot of my time (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). I would only compete in bikini, because there is no way I would ever be able to (or want to) get my body fat below 18%, which is the standard requirement for any of the athletic categories.

Annnnnd stopping de-railing thread right now.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight...

...the same education system that has a policy to pass students who are too uneducated to graduate now has a sticking point on something unrelated to the education they've failed to provide?

Yeah, that's America right there.

Are you too stupid to meet the clearly defined requirements? That's okay, we're not allowed to fail you because it might hurt someone's feelings.... despite how disastrous for our entire nation it might be to set loose an entire generation of uneducated people.

Have you failed to meet a social norm that has nothing to do with the a fore mentioned requirements? Get your fat ass to the back of the bus... despite how unbelievably terrible it might make you feel, our double standard only applies to people we like.

They should probably make people quit smoking to graduate before making people with a high BMI do 3 hours of fitness a week. (which will probably not do much to lower their weight anyway)

At the beginning of the summer, I was planning on entering for the Halloween competition, but the LSAT ended up taking up a lot of my time (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). I would only compete in bikini, because there is no way I would ever be able to (or want to) get my body fat below 18%, which is the standard requirement for any of the athletic categories.

Annnnnd stopping de-railing thread right now.

Noooooo! Let's keep derailing it.

one last question, are you able to determine your own bodyfat % roughly? Do you use a method or just a rough estimate from what you see?

In my high school we were required to complete physical ed in order to graduate. Why can't they just add some sub par gym class for the heavier set people and keep them moving?..:m075:
Doesnt seem like the typical ideal thought of an INFJ

Noooooo! Let's keep derailing it.

one last question, are you able to determine your own bodyfat % roughly? Do you use a method or just a rough estimate from what you see?

Roughly? LOL. No. I mean, I could take my measurements and plug them into an online Body Fat calculator but no, I wouldn't be able to just eyeball it.

My trainer has a hand held BFM.

After reading the story about your friend, and watching the video, I just want to mention a few points...

The women in that video, for the most part, had solid muscle tone, the kind that cannot be developed in a few months, and certainly not by using a crash diet. Their bodies, for the most part, looked to be the result of regular and possibly extreme athletic activity. They had extremely low BMI percentages, but very few of them looked unhealthy, underweight, or malnourished. Most of the women in that video looked to be in peak physical condition - for long duration cardio based athletics like triathalon or marathon running. Note, I say most. Some of the contestants were seriously bordering on healthy low amounts of muscle mass to go with their unhealthy low BMI percentages, and it is likely that they focused much more on dieting than exercise to achieve their respective weights - which is not the point to the competition.

If your friend lost 40 pounds in 3 months, especially 40 pounds that close to her minimum weight which likely contained a lot of muscle mass, she very likely used some manner of crash diet that was extremely unhealthy, advised against, and known to be a bad idea by pretty much everyone having anything to do with fitness. This is further supported by the weight she gained back, which is exactly what happens with crash diets.

I am fairly certain, the competition is designed on the assumption that the contestants used healthy methods to achieve their physical states. I am even more certain that if your friend used healthy methods to achieve her physical state, she'd still be very close to the same size, barring water weight. It normally takes years of hard work for an athlete to reach those types of muscle and BMI proportions - and they generally have to have a genetic and/or metabolic predisposition to such a low BMI - which is why the competition exists. It is a very difficult thing to achieve for the rare people who can achieve it.

For all intents, your friend cheated. Unfortunately, the person she cheated most was herself.

what would be "the ideal" thought of an infj? I thought we all agreed that INFJs come in different shapes, sizes, experiences and thoughts....:m075:...hence the forum is the stage to display it all in a respectful manner.

Last edited:

what would be "the ideal" thought of an infj? I thought we all agreed that INFJs come in different shapes, sizes, experiences and thoughts....:m075:...hence the forum is the stage to display it all in a respectful manner.

I have to agree with Solong. Not only do I think that it is more important to focus on 'heavy' people exhibiting 'healthy' behaviors such as physical activity than focusing on their actual weight, weight loss, or gain...

... it is important to note that as INFJs we are driven by our Ni and Fe. This means we view the world through our idealism. However, this doesn't mean we have the same ideals. Sometimes INFJs can be really harsh - for the good of others - because they need it more than whatever is harming them. This is one of those instances.

This a wonderful example of the difference between congitive functions and the many additional facets of personality that people develop. The INFJs posting here clearly care about the people involved, and feel driven to at minimum voice an opinion on how to help, but we have differing opinions on how to help them. INFJs are similar, but unique, just like all the other personality types. :)

Last edited: