There has to be more to life than this | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

There has to be more to life than this

i don't know. lost my way somewhere along the path in life and i've been struggling to get back on it ever since. i really do appreciate everyone's opinions though.

When I read this, this is what I think of:

Being on a straight and narrow path. Then suddenly realizing there is something more out there. Realizing that maybe you need to step off the path to find that one that resonates with you. Now you're trudging through the forest and there seems to be no end in sight, no answers, and no way out. Except everything is temporary, nothing lasts forever. Eventually you must come out on the other side, and there you will find some clarity.

I don't know how long this is going to last, but I often feel like I'm walking through that exact same forest. Sometimes I'm in awe of the things I come across on my journey, sometimes I feel hopeless and alone, sometimes I meet other creatures on the way that keep me company. Sometimes I think I'm coming out on the other side just to be met with more trees! But I'm pretty sure eventually I'm going to get there.

I do my best not to stress about it because I have a tendency to start placing heavy focus on what the meaning of it all is, and whether or not I could just get up from my desk at work right this second and never look back. Would I survive? Does it matter? Does anything matter?

Or maybe it's all about the journey rather than the destination. Maybe what matters changes with every single day, and every single second. Maybe we're not supposed to be on some kind of straight and narrow path where everything falls into place just so and all is fine and good. Maybe we're supposed to be all over the map and do the best we can to adhere to what feels right in our core and all we can do is treat the earth and the people the best that we can and love all that we can.

Or maybe I'm making it all up! Maybe this very post doesn't matter!

Reactions: Trifoilum and muir
From the answers you have given others I think youd just feel that my purposes are just silly or not meaningful enough for you.

! that's not it at all, why do you think i asked what's your secret? i want to know how to find meaning in this, like you have, since you're absolutely right, there's probably nothing else.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I usually manage to get over this (and problems like this) by thinking "it's not giving up if you can't find an answer this way."

I periodically come back to the bigger questions about life, and I'll probably manage to put this question away again pretty soon too.

Further to what some people have said about looking within for the answers, here is Deepak Chopras take on the words: 'the kingdom of heaven is within you':

Not that I have a problem with god, but... why can't we define our own higher purpose?

Last edited:
*chimes in*

Well, on the basis of what he's created so far, why would he? Unless the purpose he made really resonated with me (which, I guess it should if he's making me a purpose) then I'd ultimately ignore or go past it.

I'm not sure that 'god' has to enter into it.

Words are tools for conveying meaning. It's all open to interpretation.

Haven't you ever felt that way? How do you get over it?

Is this really it? Is this what we've been born to do, school, work, marriage, 2.5 kids, old age, death, a grandchild or two if we're lucky to carry on the 'privilege' of repeating the same routine, indefinitely? Sure, life can be WONDERFUL and I don't deny it, and there are many reasons to keep on going, not the least being the impact on those around us should we choose to depart early.. but damn, I get hung up on it sometimes. There has to a purpose, a higher reason, this all seems like complete nonsense!

Can anyone relate?

Hmm, never had a problem with purpose. I've got plenty of that.
Finding connection with God, actualizing and overcoming myself, giving purpose to others, serving them - those are just some of them. Above all other just living and experiencing things is purposeful enough. The aforementioned lifetime plan is also not that bad because it concurs to our biological programming.

I did had "an advantage" of growing up in an underdeveloped country though :)

I've also noticed that most people who replied in this thread are of P type. That kind of confirms the theory that J looks for purpose within, P outside of themselves.

As [MENTION=1292]Quest[/MENTION]; had said, there are no rules in life..also, God or no God, I believed one meaning in our small life is to give a personal meaning to our small life. To paint a picture in our empty canvas, metaphorically. So that when we met God (for those who believed) or when we looked back we're smiling; blood, sweat, tears and all; and we can say "I made a good painting. Here!"

^^
That's a very good explanation of it.

Question: How do you deal with uncertainty?

Answer: Pretend it doesn't exist.

Reactions: Trifoilum
The meaning of life i whatever you want it to be. There doesn't have to be a grand purpose other than to enjoy the gift of life. The universe is such an incredible place and life seems to be the most incredible part of it. How do you know that the grand purpose isn't for life to exist. I like to imagine "god" sitting on his throne moaning about all the ungrateful so and so's on earth who worry about what their purpose is.

You're living it. Look at all the variety in the world. All the possibilities. All the fun to have.

Why does there need to be a grand purpose. Life is incredible enough.

Whoever or whatever made life, it is a gift. The greatest gift anyone has ever given you.

My purpose in life is to make the most of this incredible gift.

Reactions: BlinkandThink
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, "Why, why, why?"

Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.

- Kurt Vonnegut

Reactions: NeverAmI
Life is like a chapter book. Meanings come and go. Another one will come your way. Like Poetic Justice said, you can help define it. But sometimes, a new one will find you.

Last edited:
Purpose = enjoy myself and let myself enjoy others and minimize conflict. Also to put myself into a situation where I will not have to overcome difficulty in meeting this purpose.

Also having a purpose or not, it doesnt bother me. I almost dont even care if I had one or not.

*hugs to everyone here*

This isn't a question one could answer in a epiphany-like matter, it seems?

...at least, without someone brandishing a philosophy or a religion, like what I did. .__.;

Life is a precious gift. We should experience it in awe, given all the different life forms around us both seen and unseen by the human eye. There is so much energy in the universe around us, and we are allowed the opportunity to experience it with senses. Wow!

This song just comes to mind. More later as time presents itself, which is tight this week.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lu_uyulrZI"]YouTube- 100 Years Lyrics | Five For Fighting[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-qQcNT_fY&ob=av2e"]YouTube- Five For Fighting - 100 Years[/ame]

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
I used to have this issue a lot and it would leave me feeling cold and lonely, empty like I had no connection to reality, so I set out to find the answer. I failed and came to the conclusion that the best approach is not to think about it. As profound and meaningful as it feels to try to tackle the really big questions. Existential questions just aren't relevant to achieving happiness and satisfaction in life. All we really want is to feel content. How to achieve that is the only useful knowledge.

Contentment may come to some in different ways. In other words, one may be giving more than he has to see that others are content. Maybe we each have our own meaning or meanings of contentment.

But sometimes being content =/= knowing one's place within the world. It's just...feels different.

But sometimes you're also right; we simply need to be content first before we start considering one's place in the world.

But sometimes being content =/= knowing one's place within the world. It's just...feels different.

But sometimes you're also right; we simply need to be content first before we start considering one's place in the world.

I wouldn't consider knowing your place in the world to be an existential question unless you mean a question like "who am I?" or "why am I here?". Knowing your place, to me, indicates questions like "what do I like to do?" or "what makes me feel happy and fulfilled?" in which case it's very relevant to life. In that case, you need to explore and try different things and eventually you find something that truly sparks a fire in you.