There has to be more to life than this | INFJ Forum

There has to be more to life than this

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
Haven't you ever felt that way? How do you get over it?

Is this really it? Is this what we've been born to do, school, work, marriage, 2.5 kids, old age, death, a grandchild or two if we're lucky to carry on the 'privilege' of repeating the same routine, indefinitely? Sure, life can be WONDERFUL and I don't deny it, and there are many reasons to keep on going, not the least being the impact on those around us should we choose to depart early.. but damn, I get hung up on it sometimes. There has to a purpose, a higher reason, this all seems like complete nonsense!

Can anyone relate?

I can relate. It's really depressing to think that we're just some giant cosmic accident... but I think you answered your own question--the impact we have on others, and the impact other people have on us is what makes life worth living. And knowing that--knowing that there IS more to life than the nonsense-every-day stuff--certainly helps me to keep going.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the little things that we fail to see the big picture.

So take a deep breath, go outside, and stare straight up into the sky. Love the fact that though you are so small, you can have a big impact on yourself and others.

Reactions: Trifoilum
YES! Please say most people here feel this way too.

I have no solution, but I've oscillated back and forth from "life is meaningless" to "I'm looking for it."

For some of us, there's even less...

I have no desire to marry or have children. I couldn't make myself do it. So for me, life is only about work, according to society.

Yes, I think there has to be more to life. I think that we should find more ways to interact with other people that don't revolve around family and dating. Sort of like these forums, but in real life. You know what I mean?

Last edited:
Yes, I think there has to be more to life. I think that we should find more ways to interact with other people that don't revolve around family and dating. Sort of like these forums, but in real life. You know what I mean?

If only that were easier done than said.

YES! Please say most people here feel this way too.

I have no solution, but I've oscillated back and forth from "life is meaningless" to "I'm looking for it."

lol, it's nice to know others feel the same, even though it doesn't change a thing. ><

lol, it's nice to know others feel the same, even though it doesn't change a thing. ><

Blech. For all the surge of positive emotion I had just then, you're dead right.

Maybe this is the real reason why people drown themselves in inanities. Cue religion and spirituality: better luck next life?

Haven't you ever felt that way? How do you get over it?

Is this really it? Is this what we've been born to do, school, work, marriage, 2.5 kids, old age, death, a grandchild or two if we're lucky to carry on the 'privilege' of repeating the same routine, indefinitely? Sure, life can be WONDERFUL and I don't deny it, and there are many reasons to keep on going, not the least being the impact on those around us should we choose to depart early.. but damn, I get hung up on it sometimes. There has to a purpose, a higher reason, this all seems like complete nonsense!

Can anyone relate?

This is where philosophy kicks in with theories like existentialism an nihilism.

I personally find that a lot of people might be more enthused with their lives if they were not living in a developed country, and if they were living in a developed country, had previously experienced underdevelopment and poverty.

I think that once we have experienced difficult times, whatever difficult times are for us because it's relative and on a sliding scale, we will begin to see that there is a purpose or we will make purpose for ourselves.

Some believe in Gods. That's one alternative.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Blech. For all the surge of positive emotion I had just then, you're dead right.

Maybe this is the real reason why people drown themselves in inanities. Cue religion and spirituality: better luck next life?

maybe. maybe humans were never meant to evolve to the point where we recognize our own mortality, maybe we were never meant to develop self awareness, and an awareness of how little our lives truly matter in the grand scheme of things. even future generations will be forgotten by the people that come after them, and one day the sun will expand to the point where it encapsulates the earth, and everything we know, everything that was, on earth, will be completely obliterated. in light of that fact, what legacy could we leave in our short time on earth that would hold any real significance?
just thinking out loud.. i love life, but what the fuck. the man upstairs has some serious explaining to do :/

if there is no God.. I just don't know. it's like traveling down a long winding road at night; there are no streetlights, and you can't make out where you're headed.. but eventually, you're sure, the sun will come up, and you'll be able to see clearly what's up ahead. If there is no God, it's like you come to a complete stop. a dead end. the car breaks down and you find yourself all alone on the road at night.. with nothing to do but walk back.

We are all caught in feedback loops. Some resonate better than others.

Reactions: slant
I endeavor to unlock the mysteries and powers of my mind!

To live fully! And to not discover when it is time to die, that I had not lived!

fully.. meaning what exactly? when it's time to die, do you really think you'll be thinking "Woe is me, I had not lived", i think unless you die a young death, you'll be resigned by that point, and more concerned about things like how your family will be taken care of after you pass on.

sorry to be so negative... i'm super tired right now, which isn't helping :(

Your own, personal, numinous.

maybe. maybe humans were never meant to evolve to the point where we recognize our own mortality, maybe we were never meant to develop self awareness, and an awareness of how little our lives truly matter in the grand scheme of things. even future generations will be forgotten by the people that come after them, and one day the sun will expand to the point where it encapsulates the earth, and everything we know, everything that was, on earth, will be completely obliterated. in light of that fact, what legacy could we leave in our short time on earth that would hold any real significance?
just thinking out loud.. i love life, but what the fuck. the man upstairs has some serious explaining to do :/

if there is no God.. I just don't know. it's like traveling down a long winding road at night; there are no streetlights, and you can't make out where you're headed.. but eventually, you're sure, the sun will come up, and you'll be able to see clearly what's up ahead. If there is no God, it's like you come to a complete stop. a dead end. the car breaks down and you find yourself all alone on the road at night.. with nothing to do but walk back.

*sigh* I get temporary purpose distractions, usually something about being the best self I can be, but I always come back to asking what's the point if all of it will be erased in time.

I had a song quoted, but it was too cliche.

Last edited:
Your own, personal, numinous.

@ Apostelytizer. What do you mean by the word "Numinous"?

April - even as you get older and approach the end, you question the reasons of life.
IMO - Our tasks; our purpose on this planet; is to learn how to love our self, to love others equally, and to do no harm.
Once you embrace these precepts and strive towards these goals, you will come to know, deep in your heart, why you are here.

When you look back upon your life you will remember the people you loved and those who loved you. Nothing else really matters.

I don't grapple with the absence of an objective purpose. I don't think our lives have any meaning that can be found outside of ourselves. For me, this is just a fact ... like gravity.

The answer is to make your own meaning. If it works for you and it's not harming other people, I really don't think it matters that it's not objectively true. Most people need meaning or purpose for the sake of their sanity. People who prefer not to use one that's handed to them have the responsibility of making their own.

I have a purpose ... but only because I invented one. Works for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: aeon and Trifoilum
The purpose, higher reason/calling, that is what we’re here to find out, No? Or at least create for ourselves. There’re no rules saying this’s what we ought to do, or not do. We’ve the free-will to do anything we want. But of course, to ensure your survival and well-being, you need to do things (go to school, get a job, be active, etc) that’ll help bring them about. But, there’re no guarantees. We all die. Apart from enriching our lives, those are just things we do because I belief they do add a sense of satisfaction to our lives, and sometimes it’s in doing those things that we find that purpose we so badly yearn for. But still, no guarantees. And I’m only referring to the western world here where people’re more fortunate to have those privileges available to them. It’s a different story in third-world countries where people barely have enough to eat let alone be able to go to school (that is even if there’re schools in the neighbourhood). Anyway, the whole deal with finding your purpose/calling’s something I’ve struggled with. I still don’t have the answer yet. I think it’s something a lot of INFJs struggle with. It's something many people struggle with, in general. But for us, it's much more of a big deal because we're always looking beyond what is.

Last edited: