There has to be more to life than this | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

There has to be more to life than this

Haven't you ever felt that way? How do you get over it?

Is this really it? Is this what we've been born to do, school, work, marriage, 2.5 kids, old age, death, a grandchild or two if we're lucky to carry on the 'privilege' of repeating the same routine, indefinitely? Sure, life can be WONDERFUL and I don't deny it, and there are many reasons to keep on going, not the least being the impact on those around us should we choose to depart early.. but damn, I get hung up on it sometimes. There has to a purpose, a higher reason, this all seems like complete nonsense!

Can anyone relate?

What would you rather do?

Personally I think that is a fantastic general life goal with plenty of room to add other goals in between and concurrently with all those things.

Is this really it? Is this what we've been born to do, school, work, marriage, 2.5 kids, old age, death, a grandchild or two if we're lucky to carry on the 'privilege' of repeating the same routine, indefinitely? Sure, life can be WONDERFUL and I don't deny it, and there are many reasons to keep on going, not the least being the impact on those around us should we choose to depart early.. but damn, I get hung up on it sometimes. There has to a purpose, a higher reason, this all seems like complete nonsense!

Can anyone relate?
Could be because there is a God, there is a higher purpose, and there is more to life than "birth school work marriage death".

Hmm I should probably blog about this or something.

Reactions: Inquisitive

Can anyone relate?

I can say I feel your pain. Watching the world destroy its self is getting old. There are days I want to give up. Days I feel deep in the hole. For some reason I keep on climbing out and going on. Even when I do not want to keep going I carry on. There is something more to life. I feel it in the wind. In the trees. In the air. It's all around us but we don't seem to enjoy our world...

Could be because there is a God, there is a higher purpose, and there is more to life than "birth school work marriage death".

I would love if you would.

I swear that I promoted your blog somewhere, Jack. As the most awesome blog ever.

So, in conclusion...

DONT RUIN IT!!!

I swear that I promoted your blog somewhere, Jack. As the most awesome blog ever.

So, in conclusion...

DONT RUIN IT!!!

that wouldn't be ruining it, that'd be enlightening those of us who are curious to understand. please do it Jack

Can anyone relate?

Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?

that wouldn't be ruining it, that'd be enlightening those of us who are curious to understand. please do it Jack

I think you've confused my statement 'dont ruin it' with 'dont post'.

Clearing the misunderstanding up, that isn't what I meant. I am sorry for the confusion of a poorly elaborated sentence.

Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?

and how does one believe in the face of almost completely absent evidence? i would LIKE to believe in God.. I want that kind of inner peace, more than anything, but it's not really a choice. without proof it seems little more than a futile hope.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I think you've confused my statement 'dont ruin it' with 'dont post'.

Clearing the misunderstanding up, that isn't what I meant. I am sorry for the confusion of a poorly elaborated sentence.

uh, that's ok, but what did you mean if not that?

and how does one believe in the face of almost completely absent evidence? i would LIKE to believe in God.. I want that kind of inner peace, more than anything, but it's not really a choice. without proof it seems little more than a futile hope.

You put your trust in absence of evidence on a daily basis assuming that what you know is true.

You put your trust in absence of evidence on a daily basis assuming that what you know is true.

No, this is all about not making assumptions. The default position (in the absence of evidence) is weakly-agnostic weak atheism. You apply the very same logic to many other things in life; try respecting others' applications in theirs.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
No, this is all about not making assumptions. The default position (in the absence of evidence) is weakly-agnostic weak atheism. You apply the very same logic to many other things in life; try respecting others' applications in theirs.

do your parents love you?

Rofl!

No pressure right?

Not that I imagine it meaning much to you (seeing as how I'm some kook on the internet who you don't know), but I see/am attacked by various spirits on average about once every 2-3 weeks. I actually managed to reach out and hit one for the first time a couple weeks ago, so I now know that they're concrete things... but I think they try to hide from us in general. Let's face it... if you wanted the worst for people, and people were apt to believe the physical world is all there is so long as there were no evidence to the contrary, and you observe that a great many people just live trying to satisfy themselves: why would you do something to interrupt that?

At least.. that's one of about a dozen possibe explanations floating around in my head. Don't worry, a brain tumor is up there on the list as well ;).

Point being: I would be very surprised if there weren't more to life than what you said. In particular, I would not underestimate the value of spreading peace and alleviating peoples' fears and insecurities--not through lies or shallow reassurance where it's not due, but by finding pieces of their problems and concerns in yourself (wherever possible) and forcing yourself to be honest in sharing yourself so that they're not alone.

Quite honestly... I wouldn't be suprised if that goal alone consumed your life and provided enough meaning like what you're looking for. ...but also I'm quite young, so take that with the understanding that (esp if history shows) 5 years from now I'll think something completely different. I thought different things 5 years before now, and different things 5 years before that. Constant learning proces, for me :p

Last edited:

Perhaps. But even if we did know that there was a god and a higher purpose, we'd still be at a loss as to knowing what it was. Or, let's say we weren't. Suppose I found the truth of what it was, and even then the higher purpose didn't resonate with me. Wouldn't I still be saying "is this it?" Err, well, of course you couldn't answer what my own reaction would be, but you get the idea.

Come to think of it, what would a possible solution to this look like anyway? Would it just be something that makes us feel like our life is wholesome? Would it be some great reason our minds could grasp and say, "ah, there is what I am missing."?

Last edited:
When you look back upon your life you will remember the people you loved and those who loved you. Nothing else really matters.

meant to say this before but I must have forgot: thankyou [MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION]. i have a feeling you're completely right about that...