Praise and Encouragement | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Praise and Encouragement

I think this isn't just a Japanese thing, a lot of people withdraw socially, they're called introverts.
Um, no that's not what hikikomori are at all. They don't withdraw socially; they stay locked inside a single room as long as humanly possible. Apparently either you didn't read the article, or it wasn't sufficient in conveying the extremity of the phenomena.

For anyone who's interesting in learning more about it, you can watch Welcome to the NHK.

I'm not sure you understand the concept of affirmation. If a child stole a candy bar, criticizing the child in such a manner can actually be positively reinforcing because it gives the child attention. A considerably better response would probably be to take the candy bar away from the child and return it without giving the child any attention whatsoever. Not speaking to or acknowledging the child, and effectively cutting off attention to that child for a duration, instills a far stronger message than criticizing the child would. Children crave attention, and to deny it serves as a punishment that is not really a punishment, but rather a neutral action by the parent which has stronger implications for the child than an actual punishment would have.

Um...sure.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w9443687861t2k70/
http://www.jstor.org/pss/1131415

You are entitled to your opinion. I've seen no evidence to actually indicate that this is the truth, and nothing I've learned from developmental psychology supports this opinion.

LOL if my mother had returned the candy bar I would know that she would always be there to save me from myself and would have stolen again. I dont think you know how children think.

From your link

Using recently available data from China's Disease Surveillance Points system, we estimate that there are over 300,000 suicides in China per year; this makes suicide one of the most important causes of death in the country and makes the suicide rate in China one of the highest in the world. Moreover, the pattern of suicides in China is quite different than in other parts of the world

LOL if my mother had returned the candy bar I would know that she would always be there to save me from myself and would have stolen again. I dont think you know how children think.

You are entitled to your opinion Billy. I can see what a great job your mother did raising you, so I guess your are proof in the pudding.

300,000 suicides out of a population of over a billion, and how many of these are students and kids?

Why do so many of them take place in females (extremely male dominated culture) and in the rural areas (extreme poverty)?

I am not paying 30 dollars to read that other article.

What about the other article? :m075:

Female stereotypes do contribute to suicide in Asian countries as well.

You are entitled to your opinion Billy. I can see what a great job your mother did raising you, so I guess your are proof in the pudding.

What about the other article? :m075:

Female stereotypes do contribute to suicide in Asian countries as well.

I told you I am not paying 30 dollars to read the other article.

And you didnt answer my question, of those 300,000 suicides (out of 1.5 billion) how many are young adults or children?

And please try not to insult me personally, I wouldn't want you to discredit yourself again in your own thread.

I told you I am not paying 30 dollars to read the other article.

And you didnt answer my question, of those 300,000 suicides (out of 1.5 billion) how many are young adults or children?

They were all children at one point Billy.

And please try not to insult me personally, I wouldn't want you to discredit yourself again in your own thread.

Yeah, I guess I better avoid that whole discrediting myself thing.

We were discussing youth suicide rates, not general suicide rates. Although that was very interesting. Thank you.

Oh, I see.

WHO seems to have suicides rates in correlation to age, but I can't open it for some reason

Oh, I see.

WHO seems to have suicides rates in correlation to age, but I can't open it for some reason

It's alright. I'm pretty sure I'm incorrect. It's look like poverty level is a far greater predictor for suicide rates than age.

It's alright. I'm pretty sure I'm incorrect. It's look like poverty level is a far greater predictor for suicide rates than age.

Well, the data is a bit skewed due to the fact that various years of stastistical data are being used, and I would prefer the age dispersion to be broader than 15-19, but it indicates that Japan is far from the top and is even behind Norway which have been pegged as the best country in the world to live in.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1414751/table/T1/

I love George Carlin.

Although what he is talking about is not relevant to what I was talking about. I was speaking about children having the skills to praise and encourage others, not having high self esteem.

You're doing so well with this thread Satya, keep it up! :wink:

I think thats what I had said.

It's alright. George always adds something to a thread.

I really loved him. He was one of my favorites. I miss him as well!