Praise and Encouragement | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Praise and Encouragement

How many times when you are meeting someone for the first time do you think to compliment or encourage them? Can you even think of compliments or encouragement that you would feel comfortable giving a stranger?
Answer: All the time, and people think I am either phony, hitting on them or stalking them as a result. So I have learned to keep my mouth shut. Wry LOL.

Do you think that parents really consider their children's social skills?
Answer: Yes, all the time, and it's tricky. First you have to teach them not to bite people. Then you try to teach them basic manners without crushing their individuality or being too critical. Then you have to teach them not to let others bite/hurt/be mean to them, and, yes, considering how important social skills are, it is something that I think about all the time.

I'm left unconvinced. I'm not speaking about permissiveness here. I'm speaking about providing children with praise and encouragement. Why are the two seen as one in the same? Children need discipline, but I find it ironic that giving praise and encouragement is seen as being a step away from discipline. If anything, regularly praising and encouraging children makes it considerably easier to discipline them when necessary.
Answer: Yes, and I think I love you.

If you only knew how many people start on this track from the time their children are only one or two weeks old you would understand why I am currently having to suppress a massive rant. People don't even want to hold their newborns half the time, forget throwing a little praise and attention to their older children. They think it will make the infants stronger and more independent. It is just so wrong, it is witholding such a basic need at such a young age, it makes my head explode just thinking about it. Holding and responding to an infant in a loving and sensitive way is the basis for empathy, which is what social skills are built on.

I love George Carlin.
Yes, and did you know he is the narrator for Thomas the Tank Engine? The raunchy Mr. Carlin = every kid's favorite Little Blue Engine.

(Oh and P.S. this is actually Janet, I am considering switching to this account due to technical problems. Also Janet is a boring name anyway, must think of something better.)

Children need boundaries. They need consistancy. If you make a rule you need to follow through. They need a combination of positive reinforcement and also limits. Oftentimes kids will act out in order to see where the boundaries are. Boundaries and rules actually help them to feel safe. Though they would never tell you this.

will come back and edit tomorrow, just posting so i can find this thread when i decide to reply. very interesting topic, kudos.