NFJs prone to eating disorders? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

NFJs prone to eating disorders?

Have you suffered from an eating disorder?

• I'm an NFJ, and I've suffered from an eating disorder

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • I'm an NFJ, and I've not suffered from an eating disorder

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • I'm not NFJ, and I've suffered from an eating disorder

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I'm not NFJ, and I've not suffered from an eating disorder

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
;)

I have an addiction to food. Does that count?

I don't think I overeat, but I'm American, so I prolly do.

HAHA KILLER COMMENT <3 I love american food haha, it took a while to get used to the food when I was there because pretty much everything is greezy but now that it is not within reach, I cannot help but love it. That is not an addiction, it is finishing your food xD The thing is that the food provided by the marts and in resturants are so over-sized!!!
Still as ALL food is fat reduced, people gain weight over there, why is that anyhow?

Oooh damn I miss USA soo much :(
Life is so unhappy over here in Sweden, I'm in agony...

Haha, Stockholm ... The country in itself is beautiful, however the spirit, lifestyle and government sucks. Zombie life do as you are told typ of thing :/ Have you been here ? :p
Hehe I see I see. It's actually one place I hate about sweden *whistles*
And the stupid people voting the "new goverment" :p

I live in Sundsvall ;)

Wow, this is a really interesting thread. I'm similar to a lot of you. I don't have an eating disorder per se, but I don't eat well. Sometimes I'll forget, and just be too wrapped up in something to bother. Sometimes it seems like too much work to do all the prep and cooking and clean up.

I've been skinny all my life and people have asked if I am anorexic/ bulimic / etc. The thing is I hate being so skinny. I naturally have a fast metabolism and don't put on weight very easily. And over the last six years or so has come the trend of me tending not to take care of myself so well in terms of eating.

When I am really upset or stressed out, sometimes I actually can't eat. My body just kind of shuts down.

There are a few new businesses popping up where you can go to a kitchen-ey kind of chef place, pay a fee, and use their pre-prepped ingredients to cook up a bunch of meals, then take em home and freeze em. Like a months worth all at once. I think I may do that, just so I make sure I'm eating decently over the next little while, considering I'm going through a lot of stress/change and I'll have a super busy schedule.

I've doubled in weight in 5 years. Part of that was just growing taller, but I was also pretty thin (and depressed) in middle school.

I would say yes, I came across something strange today.
A boy (ISTJ) in my class wanted to walk by and sayid excuse me fatty. This was like a stab in the heart making me glump, and everything froze as I was in my own world of 'reapeatedly hearing those words over and over'.
I cannot tollerate mocking of such or regarding my dreams in life and it hurts me even more because I think he is a great little sweetie in my eyes (who isnt) and I cannot figure out why he is so evil to me when I sort of love him.
Honestly I haven't eaten all day...

Last edited:
Never had an eating disorder per-se, but when I was in college and discovered chat rooms (we're talkin over 10 years ago...) I simply didn't eat for 3 days. No reason, just couldn't be bothered. Then I had a diet coke and some twizzlers then went another couple of days.... guess that goes to the tendency of infj's to really get their teeth in something and not let it go.
But like many of you I don't eat well. I recenlty kinda fell off the face of the earth for a bit, but have now picked myself up and dusted off, and started eating very well - I feel soo much better.
But honestly I think I could live off of Yorks. They shoud be part of teh pyramid thingy....

I used to have serious problems undereating and to an extent I still do. Recently I've heard and seen other NFJs with the same problem. I could go a day or two without eating anything if I wasn't forced and alot of the time I couldn't keep it down, Just recently I was with my ENFJ friend, who tells me he hadn't eaten in two days and felt as she would pass out. We rushed to grab some food, it wasn't even good food, but it was food.

I'm just curious at this point but how many of you have had problems with under or overeating?

I problem with over eating.

I think for me at least it keeps the INFJ shadow at bay just a little. Or it keeps the really bad issues of my life from boiling over.

It seems I've always had trouble with this. I did drop a lot of weight when I was wrestling in school. But I was also cutting weight too.

I also like food so thats another problem.

I wish I could just not like food so much. I"m tired of being fat.

I under-eat. I forget to eat every now and again. And if I'm super pissed off, even if I know I should eat, I can't bring myself to as I have no appetite. After breaking up with someone who pissed me off to the core, I couldn't eat for almost a week. But I don't know if that's a disorder, I don't have any body image issues likened to a disorder.

I think so. I don't want to discuss it though.

I have had an eating disorder in the past.....I still struggle with eating to much at times, I think the fact that i excercise so much is my only ally or i would be fat as a cow. :)

I think we're using the term "eating disorder" pretty loosely here. I grew up with an anorexic mother and she was pure-D nuts when it came to food and body image. She worried about being too thin--not uncommon among anorexics,though the stereotype is one who worries about being too fat--yet she ate so sparingly or not at all that she suffered from catastrophic weight loss. She was 5'6" and small-boned; whenever she dropped below 80 lbs. her doc would put her in the hospital to supervise her eating and get her weight back up. Once she called me to tell me of this new "diet" guaranteed to put weight on. It consisted of boiling vegetables in water, then throwing the vegetables out and drinking the water. She seemed to think of food as "dirty" and as she grew older, became convinced it was harmful to her.

As the only other female in the family, I came under scrutiny and my food intake was restricted. At 12 I was diagnosed with malnutrition. Once when my younger son was visiting her--he was an infant--I called to see how the visit was going and heard him crying in the background. I asked why he was crying and she said she supposed he was hungry and when I asked why she didn't feed him, she replied that he was so fat that watching him eat made her nauseated. He was six months old and in the 50th percentile for weight, so absolutely normal, but she had put me on my first "diet" at six months of age. Anyway, I rushed to her house, picked him up and never left him alone with her again.

She finally managed to starve herself to death at age 73, about 4 months after my father's death.

Now that, my friends, is an eating disorder. I don't know if my mother was an NFJ; she was too crazy to type, really.

I have made an effort to have a healthy attitude toward food, and though I do have some stuff around categories of "clean" vs "dirty" foods, I eat pretty normally unless I'm manic. During manias I tend to stop eating or sleeping and drop a lot of weight--like 20 lbs a month--but have never dropped below 100 lbs. (I'm 5'7" with a medium frame). When stressed, I will go days without eating or sleeping, but usually catch it early and force myself to eat healthy foods again, even if I can't sleep. I recently joined Weight Watchers to try to establish a healthier relationship with food and I think it's helped. I do not consider myself to have an eating disorder, though I know I'm at risk for developing one.

I'm sorry about that :/

Although I dissagree an eating disorder does not have to be of that magnitude, it rather refers to an unhealthy pattern of eating -or not eating. It could be people who don't eat anything during the day and binge eat at night, or people who merely drink coffee and forget to eat =) (So what I'm saying is that such a level must not be reached untill it is considered an eating disorder)

I'm sorry about that :/

Although I dissagree an eating disorder does not have to be of that magnitude, it rather refers to an unhealthy pattern of eating -or not eating. It could be people who don't eat anything during the day and binge eat at night, or people who merely drink coffee and forget to eat =) (So what I'm saying is that such a level must not be reached untill it is considered an eating disorder)

You may be right. I know my mother was extreme, but I guess I don't consider it a disorder until it begins interfering with your life. Many of us have bad eating habits that IMHO don't rise to the level of a disorder. Just my take. I do, however, think NFJs are more prone to emotional eating, whether it's under- or over-eating. Heck, unless we're well rounded, I think we're prone to emotional excesses in many areas of our lives; why not eating?

By the way, I think what that guy said to you in class was cruel and hurtful, though it's clearly more a lack of maturity on his part than anything wrong with you. Still, I'm sorry you had that experience.

Last edited:
I think we're using the term "eating disorder" pretty loosely here.

I agree. Forgetting to eat or not having much of an appetite... it's not necessarily healthy but it doesn't sound like an eating disorder. Food is the symptom of something greater in an ed. Just like getting drunk occasionally at parties without a 'need' to drink is vastly different from having an alcohol addiction.

Anica, that must have been so hard.

Last edited:
I'm usually strict with my eating patterns -- I try to limit myself to more organic "healthy" foods and seldom consume meat. I become irritated to some extent when I have absolutely no choice but to ingest something that is not to my substantials.

Last edited: