My case that America is not the greatest country on earth... | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

My case that America is not the greatest country on earth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends on the country, Janet - and it depends on perception. Even though we may have the ads for racially diverse folk, it's still difficult to find a minority posing for an ad in say, GQ magazine. Some magazines are rather good at portraying a diverse cast set, but it's still usually just one color of folk rather than a mix of folk. It's getting better, yes. I think it helps that this generation is a bit more globally minded. But for good or for ill, the world often looks to the United States for perceptions on how things should be. Especially with movies and TV. If we can't get it together with our tired, huddled masses yearning to be free and our melting pots, how the heck can we expect the rest of the world to follow?

I would say this - out of all the countries in the world the US *should* be the least prejudiced because we are the mutts of the world. But sometimes I think some European countries have shown better examples of tolerance and diversity than we have (France, for one). What truly is frustrating is, we *have* the diversity, more than any nation on earth, I think, but we still opt to use one type of face to represent our country. That is ignorant and that is horrific, IMO. It's a totally ironic slap in the face. We shouldn't bat an eye. We're representing our population group. When other nations have our kind of diversity they should also be more willing to represent the new population group. Unfortunately the US has had no excuse in this regard. We should be the global example, but instead we can be the very poster child for intolerance. Very, very ironic.

But thank you, Janet, for trying to make the difference! We do need more people willing to do so.

I think the reasoning that we don't have more successful minorities is that persecution builds character, a lot of people that have suffered have become great people.

Most of the highly successful people in the US have, as others have said, exploited others to get where they are at.

Don't worry, eventually scum will encompass all races.

:p

Sorry, don't hurt me for saying this!!

Arby, :grouphug:

You know, I would love to claim that I am some bastion of the civil rights movement, but I realy just enjoy seeing (old white male) executives squirm. It's fun. If it helps change perceptions, so much the better.

I know it's hard. Been there, done that, worked for the good 'ol boys.

I think it depends on the country, Janet - and it depends on perception. Even though we may have the ads for racially diverse folk, it's still difficult to find a minority posing for an ad in say, GQ magazine. Some magazines are rather good at portraying a diverse cast set, but it's still usually just one color of folk rather than a mix of folk. It's getting better, yes. I think it helps that this generation is a bit more globally minded. But for good or for ill, the world often looks to the United States for perceptions on how things should be. Especially with movies and TV. If we can't get it together with our tired, huddled masses yearning to be free and our melting pots, how the heck can we expect the rest of the world to follow?

I would say this - out of all the countries in the world the US *should* be the least prejudiced because we are the mutts of the world. But sometimes I think some European countries have shown better examples of tolerance and diversity than we have (France, for one). What truly is frustrating is, we *have* the diversity, more than any nation on earth, I think, but we still opt to use one type of face to represent our country. That is ignorant and that is horrific, IMO. It's a totally ironic slap in the face. We shouldn't bat an eye. We're representing our population group. When other nations have our kind of diversity they should also be more willing to represent the new population group. Unfortunately the US has had no excuse in this regard. We should be the global example, but instead we can be the very poster child for intolerance. Very, very ironic.

But thank you, Janet, for trying to make the difference! We do need more people willing to do so.

Reading this I flashed on Malcom X's inspirational haj in Mecca. He records in his autobiography (required reading ) how many different races were worshiping together and race seemed to be of no regard

I think the reasoning that we don't have more successful minorities is that persecution builds character, a lot of people that have suffered have become great people.

Most of the highly successful people in the US have, as others have said, exploited others to get where they are at.

Don't worry, eventually scum will encompass all races.

:p

Sorry, don't hurt me for saying this!!

Lol. No, I won't hate you! It's a valid point. Persecution can build character - but it's not the only way to build it. Love can do the same thing. I wonder what would have happened if people were encouraged more...?

I hope scum never encompasses everyone. We all have a bit of scum in us, though. I just hope that it never becomes so overt that no one cares about anyone else anymore.

Reading this I flashed on Malcom X's inspirational haj in Mecca. He records in his autobiography (required reading ) how many different races were worshiping together and race seemed to be of no regard

Oh, how I wish! I wish...

I remember that moment, too. That time will eventually come...but it might take a few more world wars to get there. :(

why wars?

America is the greatest America in America.

[YOUTUBE]lyHSjv9gxlE[/YOUTUBE]

America is the greatest America in America.

[YOUTUBE]lyHSjv9gxlE[/YOUTUBE]

LOVE IT, the best part is it is HOUSE!

He has some really goofy stuff out there, so funny.

Oh, how I wish! I wish...

I remember that moment, too. That time will eventually come...but it might take a few more world wars to get there. :(

That does appear to be the case with Islam. Race doesn't matter there.
Pity the same can't be said about Christianity.

Dont be jealous.

I'm not. In Australia there are no ranks or titles, that got abolished years ago, and all of our most famous people were paupers.

In France titles don't matter either, you get mocked for them.
In Germany only your ability to AOE Grind matters.

I could go on and on. I won't though because it's a bullshit statement. It tells me you know nothing about the world.

That does appear to be the case with Islam. Race doesn't matter there.
Pity the same can't be said about Christianity.

Sadly, that does seem to be the case often enough. There aren't enough of the "good" Christians in the world - not enough of the ones who truly follow what's written, and love mankind.

If you're good at Age of Empires you can be successful in Germany?

1220855178717.jpg.[roflposters.com].myspace.jpg

LOVE IT, the best part is it is HOUSE!

He has some really goofy stuff out there, so funny.

You *have* to see Black Adder. That's where I saw Hugh Laurie first. He's so hilariously dumb and foppish.

:( Laurie shit me off in Blackadder. His inane stupidity was just... arrrgh!

And I said I wasn't going to enter into this...silly me. Warning, this is a huge, epic ranty Mcrant pants that flies off topic quite a bit. So, warning is necessary.

People may not notice this, but here's a clue-by-four: If you're a minority, you have to be exceptional to be noticed. Not normal, not a little bit above normal. I mean EXCEPTIONAL. You have to break everyone's glass ceiling. Your shit cannot stink for one second, or those hounds of hell will tear you to ribbons before you say one word. Once you're at the top you're fairly safe (unless you pull an OJ Simpson). But you have to be considered near deity to be "accepted" by the masses. Otherwise, people will simply compare you to "that" minority down the street who messed up. Perception here is *not* equal. There is no good ol' boy's club for minorities; minorities aren't grandfathered in by their peers. You have to claw your way up by blowing away EVERYONE'S prejudices of what your group is "supposed to" act like.

In short, you have to change people's perceptions enough that they see you as a human being first (rather than your skin color). And that can take time.

Thought to ponder: How many blockbuster movies have we seen with only a multiracial cast? How many popular TV shows? How many fantasies? I'm not saying they don't exist. Hear me. I'm saying they're rare as hen's teeth.

Why is that--?

And that's my rant for the day.

Well said! Not to mention being a women on top of it!:m070:

Status
Not open for further replies.