My case that America is not the greatest country on earth... | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

My case that America is not the greatest country on earth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think that specific case has more to do with the fact that the movie industry is huge here. Rather then america being a land of opportunity.

Thats like saying Japan is land of opportunity if you want to go into automobiles.

Obviously the place plays a part. E.g. a girl loving the baby doll style and wanting to be a japanese harajuku girl should go to the only place where they can be one; Japan.

There are countries, and this is just by hearsay mind you i have never personally looked into getting a permanent residence in another country, that have just as strict guidelines about residency, some that wont even allow anything but temporary visas to Americans...Americans are currently the cockroaches of the world...no one wants us invading their countries...even if its just one of us wanting to move there...

From what I know, Americans basically have a free pass to Europe.. obviously they wouldn't be very welcomed in the arab countries but otherwise I don't see the problem :/

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWS-FoXbjVI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWS-FoXbjVI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

LOL YEAAAAAA!!!!

Wow this is so interesting and has not been discussed before. Lets turn it around, how come? What makes it difficult?

Its not difficult, people just don't want to put in the effort.

My individual dreams can be met anywhere...The American dream is just and NAI said...Propaganda...a fallacy...a way to bring more tax payers into this country to drain them dry...No...it is not the individuals dream...not anymore..

Funny, because its not taxpayers we are bringing here, its deadbeats.

The American dream may be able to met in a few areas of the world, but nowhere as easily as in America where class and position arent relevant, money is.

I see as suspected then. Some Americans whome I spoke to said I have travelled around America more than they themselves have.

Its all relative to the person. Most people in the world die within a few miles of where they grew up. I could move to almost anywhere I want to in the world or the nation, all I need to do is make it happen. I don't get all hung up and defeated on insignificant details.

Meh, you cannot tipify people's situations. Some people put themselves down, and other's just get smacked by their circumstances. Both are prevelent.

I think the american dream is possible, but not as easy to come by as some propaganda/news/WHATEVER make it seem.

Like many other things, it's an ideal. The more idealistic, the further it has to fall. When ideals are released into the real world, and all the variables are factored it, in makes things seem like total poo compared to what they could be. The real american life has taken a plunge from the idealistic "Amerian Dream", but what hasn't?

Anyways, I've told my dad many times that I have intentions to leave this country. I don't know for sure yet, but I'm definately considering.

Just to say it (because it hasn't been noted yet): Barack Obama is not a Muslim. That was old, old propaganda. And yes, he is an American citizen, which has been proven more than several times.

Ahem.

And I'm not entering this discussion because I think we've danced this dance before.

So...Carry on, chaps.:mhula:

We are a materially rich and psychologically poor country.

I found a saying about the politics in America; is it like this? xD

If a conservative doesn't like guns, they don't buy one.> If a liberal doesn't like guns....then no one should have one.
If a conservative is a vegetarian, they don't eat meat.> If a liberal is....they want to ban all meat products for everyone.
If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.> A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.
If conservative is Black or Hispanic , they see themselves as independently successful.> Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.
If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.> A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him....
If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.> Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down
If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.> A liberal wants any mention of God or religion silenced.

What's so amazing about a black man becoming president?

It's not like he grew up in the Bronx.

If a black man couldn't become president, that would have been something to write in the history books

What's so amazing about a black man becoming president?

It's not like he grew up in the Bronx.

If a black man couldn't become president, that would have been something to write in the history books

Its amazing because not too long ago, black people were slaves. And so to go from being slaves to having a black American president is amazingly epic!

I hope you see that?!?

Nobody's vote matters. Power needs to be brought back to the state and taken from the federal government. Then the people in a state would actually HAVE some influence...
I disagree. I think the last election was an indication of how important each person's vote actually is. The problem is when politicians misrepresent themselves and actually represent special interest groups. I think that there needs to be more regulation. Deregulation of some industries is what actually got us into the mess we are in. The pharmacutical companies are actually exempt from the anti trust legislation which allows them to fix prices. Banks can not be counted to regulate themselves this is so clear. People need to be protected from others who would abuse their power. There is quite a bit of abuse. There were bankers who were acutally betting large amounts of money for their companies to fail. The problem is that so many people believe what others say wiithout really thinking about it. Sometimes you just cant take something at face value especially if the person who is saying it is trying to gain power. I have a theory about this. In education there is a theory called Blooms Taxonomy which gives stages of how children develop their thinking skills. A low (or easier) type of thinking happens when you are summarizing something, or repeating facts. Higher on the scale is critical thinking, synthesizing (taking information and applying it) and evaluating (taking information and making judgments about it). People have to be taught critical thinking skills (or how to think for yourself). I think there are many adults who have not developed the higher level thinking skills which is why they are so easily convinced by propaganda.

I voted in Tuesdays election even though there was only one issue and a representative at large office on the school board to be decided. I love to vote. Those who do not exersize that right at every opportunity S*&K

I received a negative comment on this assertion that did not go into the thread. I can't find the comment again or the commentator but they disagreed and had an interesting reason that I really think should be shared.

also I mentioned the election of Obama as evidence of our countries greatness in context that he was the son of a non-European. Which is a first for any western style democracy.
I love Europe and Europeans but their cultures are a bit um monolithic.

Homosexuality used to be against the law, people used to burn witches, women was stoned to death for having premarital sex. (some cases still are, but still)

Great progress has been made yes, and that was exactly the point.

Obama is just a result of this progress, sure the first black president is a milestone, but that's all it is.

It was just a commentary on how much praise Obama gets just for being black, there has been plenty of successful black people before him and there will be plenty after.

Obama is just a result of this progress, sure the first black president is a milestone, but that's all it is.

It was just a commentary on how much praise Obama gets just for being black, there has been plenty of successful black people before him and there will be plenty after.
Anyone that breaks through the glass ceiling like President Obama did has to have something to do with that achievement. You cant say that he had nothing to do with that, that is absurd. There is so much racism and prejudice in this country that someone is not going to be elected as President without being exceptional. If the economy had not tanked he was not going to win.

I found a saying about the politics in America; is it like this? xD

Not really. That's mostly from a conservative's viewpoint. Very, very one-sided in favor of conservative politics.

The truth is far more gray on both sides.

And I said I wasn't going to enter into this...silly me. Warning, this is a huge, epic ranty Mcrant pants that flies off topic quite a bit. So, warning is necessary.

People may not notice this, but here's a clue-by-four: If you're a minority, you have to be exceptional to be noticed. Not normal, not a little bit above normal. I mean EXCEPTIONAL. You have to break everyone's glass ceiling. Your shit cannot stink for one second, or those hounds of hell will tear you to ribbons before you say one word. Once you're at the top you're fairly safe (unless you pull an OJ Simpson). But you have to be considered near deity to be "accepted" by the masses. Otherwise, people will simply compare you to "that" minority down the street who messed up. Perception here is *not* equal. There is no good ol' boy's club for minorities; minorities aren't grandfathered in by their peers. You have to claw your way up by blowing away EVERYONE'S prejudices of what your group is "supposed to" act like.

In short, you have to change people's perceptions enough that they see you as a human being first (rather than your skin color). And that can take time.

Thought to ponder: How many blockbuster movies have we seen with only a multiracial cast? How many popular TV shows? How many fantasies? I'm not saying they don't exist. Hear me. I'm saying they're rare as hen's teeth.

Why is that--?

And that's my rant for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.