Looking to connect w/straight-edge types. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Looking to connect w/straight-edge types.

The alcohol and nicotine act on receptor sites in your brain. They function as "substitutes" for the chemicals that normally go there, which effectively gives you "too much" of some normal chemical. This produces the abnormal effects of these drugs.

Personally, I value my brain too much to do that to it, and find it a little offensive that people would deteriorate themselves with nicotine, and lose control with alcohol. I find it irresponsible.

What is worse is that they both release dopamine in the nucleus accumbens, which is a key area for reward/pleasure. This is what gives them their addictive qualities: it's basic conditioning on a chemical level...the chemicals in them train you to crave them, similar to how a dog is trained to sit or lay down.

Plus, like I said, hate the smell of either.

I don't drink anymore, and I don't smoke.

Well... I do light up cigarettes, but only ones with fireworks in them.

Guys, guys, this thread is for people that are "straight-edge" to communicate with each other, not for battles about MBTI type and drug use. Perhaps you should take the discussion to PMs.

Back to the topic on hand, I only really use MSN messenger, but if you're ever on, you can contact me at fusoyaff2@hotmail.com
I'm on at odd hours though.(Usually late at night in the US or around noon)

I confess that although I may have heard the term "straight-edge" once or twice a long time ago...I was not aware it had become common currency. My way was based on a holistic spiritual path that involves many other facets...how do others get into all this??

:) *Sitting back quietly, observing*

Well here is something to dicuss/think about in the meantime:

I have basically weeded through all the criteria of what I want in a relationship (friendship), and the most important are honesty, respect, dependability, communication, and commitment to personal growth.

The one thing I do NOT want because it inhibits these qualities is substance abuse, including drinking. It's pretty simple.

Some people would actually argue that the only way for anyone (well, humans at least) to be enlightened (and thus reach their full potential) is actually through the use of certain psychoactive drugs. Although I suppose if true, that might not be considered abuse (by you?), especially if taken responsibly (would it?).

For the record though, I am not one of those people. I don't possess enough data to judge either way. I do have a slight fear of intoxication to a degree, though. I'd hate to commit a horrid crime while drunk, for example, but I guess that comes down to the level of responsible drinking (and maximum quantity which happens to be available (be that a zero or non-zero value)).

Last time I drank a full alcoholic beverage was about 4/5 months ago, but I did take a sip of a Baileys-like drink about 2/3 weeks ago, although I'm not sure how much that has inhibited my honesty, respect, dependability, communication, or commitment to personal growth.

I suppose I generally happen to live "Straight-Edge" (if the consumption of caffeine is compatible with Straight-Edge-ness), but this is because I'd rather spend any drink money on food and cola, ha, and because I don't go out much. But if someone offered me 2 Euro to drink a pint of Cider (which they paid for), I'd do it like. Heck if someone gave me a drink (alcoholic or not), and I didn't mind the taste, I'd drink it, if I were thirsty (although I'd prefer a cola).

I guess whether I am "Straight-Edge" or not depends on whether it's strictly experience of the lifestyle or if it's both the intention and execution. Which is it?

Anyway, where does caffeine lie for your personal parameters?