For Women | Page 15 | INFJ Forum
Oh and I came across this study:

The Urban Characteristics of Street Harassment: A First Look

DOI: 10.1145/2835022.2835027
  • Mai ElSherief, E. Belding-Royer
  • Published 2015
  • Geography, Computer Science
  • Proceedings of the 1st International ACM SIGSPATIAL Workshop on Smart Cities and Urban Analytics
Street harassment is a global problem. In this paper, we seek to gain insights into the characteristics of neighborhoods in which street harassment has occurred. We analyze over 7,800 worldwide street harassment incidents, gathered by the Hollaback project [7], to study the association of street harassment with walkability scores and the number of transit routes in the area surrounding the incident. This unveils a number of key insights. First, we show that more than 50% of the incidents occur in highly walkable areas with walkability scores ranging from 90 to 100, and that nonintuitively, as the walkability score increases, the probability of street harassment events increases. The same result is obtained for areas with high transit scores. Further, the number of transit routes within one mile of the harassment incident has a negative correlation with the number of incidents. The insights gained from our study are a step towards understanding where harassment is likely to occur, which we hope can one day be used for prevention of future incidents.

Wherein they publish that the occurrence of harassment is rather high in places of transit (train stations) and walkable streets, which is ironic since planners are doing their best to incorporate safety into metric scores for walkability.

The data is old at 2015 and is using much of the reports from the website. While it could be further probed, it is highly likely that since the area is populous, it would be logical for the incidents to happen there. Moreso, in these spaces, people are physically vulnerable due to increased opportunities for direct interaction. It's sort of like a bunch of aphids scoring in on one plant because that's where their needs are. Nonetheless, the data is still relevant and the study is still an interesting piece to spiral about.

Last edited:
https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainment/people/inspirational-women-from-history-81054

and to add three more. (in my personal opinion)
Hildegarde von Brigan (who composed most of the hymnals that churches use to this day back in 1200CE.)

Fanny Mendelssohn, whom conposed a lot of music that has unfortunately been overlooked to this day... (i really like the saying "...to this day."

and
Wendy Carlos, whom popularized the Moog Synthesizer. In which with out her work on the Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and Tron; There would not be much electronic music... no digital pianos... no DAWs for every one and their cat to come up with a quick three minute song. None of that. (plus she's trans. So it's a bonus in my eyes.) :D

@ESC2367 - I have soooo many names to add to that short list! You added good ones, too!

I live 45 minutes away from where Brandon Teena lived... (Boys Don't Cry) That stigmata kinda persists here

It's familiar. My rural, right-wing hometown lynched a gay teenager in 1979.

After I watched A Girl Like Me Gwen Araujo, I had a dream I somehow was lucky enough to be in charge of disciplinary action for these crimes. I won't say publicly what I think the punishment for these acts of hatred were because I believe they are a manifestations of what is at least 25-420 years in a court of law. However, for the duration of the dream it was an indescribable feeling, seeing a world where no one has to hide for fear or judgment. If punishment is never going to change to really get the message across if what ISN'T going to fly. I think people need to form a secret community of organized protection. Sort of like neighborhood watch but instead of dealing with authorities who won't do anything anyway, member of those communities just "dispose" of the hate for good. Same with pedophiles, take the trash out, don't hoarde it.

Reactions: ESC2367 and Asa
I'm now at the age where male friends are splitting up with their wives and dating younger women. Like clockwork. I have some thoughts on this.

Inquiring ears want to hear.... ;)

I think it is predictable and shallow, shows a lack of maturity, and the inability to cooperate in a mature relationship.

I'm not saying it is always this way. Age differences happen in genuine relationships. I notice this trend, though.

A certain mentality, for sure. Those for whom an experienced woman feels like a threat or that doesn't put him first or isn't experimental enough. Or the evolutionary theory of "needing" a fertile mate, if you want to get cynical.

Also, there are reasons and then there is a social endemic among men. One man making a start and the others follow suit, for the sake of the experience.

I have no words for this type of pattern.

I am fascinated by age gap (20+) relationships. Many are clearly not relationships of equality. But I am not sure how to judge them. We are in a time when people don't have to be in the same point or place in their lives to be accepted as a couple. They don't have to observe social standing, care about people's opinions, or be "grown up." I think many people never had a chance to be carefree when they were younger so they see relationships like this as a chance to be carefree and fun. Many are probably about the physical or financial. However, there are couples who click and it works for them. But I wonder how many older partners actually take their younger partners seriously? Or how many younger partners see their older partners as real partners?

I'm surprised that the relationship between Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones has been so quiet (best indicator for a celebrity couple, methinks). Just as an example. But to be honest, I don't remember their age gap.

Or how many younger partners see their older partners as real partners?
Daddy? :m033::m026:

haha Ginny

I don't know many people in a relationship that far apart (20+). My big sister married somebody about ten years younger than her, and they seem to do very well for each other. I've nearly landed in relationships like that myself but, they didn't materialize.

Sometimes it seems reminiscent of somebody working through unresolved parental issues. That can be a volatile mixture and likely why many end up "clearly not relationships of equality".
That being said. I don't judge them myself. People have to find happiness in their own way.

haha Ginny

I don't know many people in a relationship that far apart (20+). My big sister married somebody about ten years younger than her, and they seem to do very well for each other. I've nearly landed in relationships like that myself but, they didn't materialize.

Sometimes it seems reminiscent of somebody working through unresolved parental issues. That can be a volatile mixture and likely why many end up "clearly not relationships of equality".
That being said. I don't judge them myself. People have to find happiness in their own way.
I wasn't judgy about age gaps myself, or rather trying not to be. I believe in love and if one person is so matured through their trials of early life that it can only be matched by a person more mature in age, I wouldn't be against it, even if it has a strange look to it because of our social conventions.

I agree with a lot of women here though that turning divorce and subsequent relationships with younger women into a trend (for whatever reason it began) is deplorable. Same way in the reverse situation, of course.

I must be seeing demons where there aren't, they're within myself not in my words.

Thank you, Winter :)

I wish your sister much happiness in her marriage too.

I think it is predictable and shallow, shows a lack of maturity, and the inability to cooperate in a mature relationship. I'm not saying it is always this way. Age differences happen in genuine relationships. I notice this trend, though.

Over the years I've met quite a few of those younger women married to older men due to him leaving his first wife and family. Always about a 15 to 20 year difference. Every single one of those women were not happy living with that "old" man. .....

In my social work case management days I ran in to several marriages where the woman was about 10 to 15 years older than her husband. Every single one of those marriages were rock solid and you could tell the men adored their mates.

When I was growing up women were taught to take care of the men....and the men could go to work and live happy lives. Ugh.... it's a terribly dis-empowering way to grow up....both for the women AND the men.

The men(in my day and society) were encouraged to let the women take care of them by all the stuff we do for our families.
The mens jobs were so structured they were completely enveloped in being 'taken care of' with very little opportunity to grow, create, and stretch themselves. Bureaucratic bullshit and all that nonsense of being managerial supervisors and reviews and yada yada.
So I agree with you.