Scientific and Physical Evidence in Regards to Gender Identity | INFJ Forum

Scientific and Physical Evidence in Regards to Gender Identity

CogentPursuit

Community Member
Nov 9, 2013
MBTI
LOGIC
There are significant findings in gray brain matter and white matter in male vs females. There is a distinctive difference.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050121100142.htm

This study led to a comparison of a transgenders:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20032-transsexual-differences-caught-on-brain-scan/

In a separate study, the team used the same technique to compare white matter in 18 male-to-female transsexual people with that in 19 males and 19 females. Surprisingly, in each transsexual person’s brain the structure of the white matter in the four regions was halfway between that of the males and females (Journal of Psychiatric Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.11.007). “Their brains are not completely masculinised and not completely feminised, but they still feel female,” says Guillamon.

Guillamon isn’t sure whether the four regions are at all associated with notions of gender, but Ivanka Savic-Berglund at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, thinks they might be. One of the four regions – the superior longitudinal fascicle – is particularly interesting, she says. “It connects the parietal lobe [involved in sensory processing] and frontal lobe [involved in planning movement] and may have implications in body perception.”

1) Why is the test group so small for the transgender test and is there a newer study and that has it been peer reviewed and done with a larger test group?
2) Has this been tested with Women who Identify as women but have more male traits and skills? Same for men having skills and traits that might be considered more feminine but they identify as male.
3) Is this proving anything that we don't already know, that 'most' men and women think differently? How can we be certain that this difference is correlated with identity and not just having different thought patterns. What about it makes a person 'need' to change their sex?
4) Are there any other important studies in relation to transgender identity that you would like to share?

I am hoping to bypass all the misinformation on the internet and get the help of a more knowledgeable people. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any opinions so long as they relate to scientific studies and concepts and not political or personal opinions.

Reactions: Littlelissa
1. The test group is probably small because this sort of study is expensive and it's hard to find participants. I'm not in this area of research, so I don't know of more recent papers, but I wouldn't count their results out of hand just yet. They are finding p < .02 and p < .001 for some of their results. They didn't report a cohen's d or other effect size than a beta coefficient, so I don't know what sort of effect size is expected in the literature, but given their number of participants and significance, they have reasonable power to detect effect sizes at d = 1.2 or greater. However, I'm skeptical because this is a massive effect size, and I think effect sizes in this field are closer to 0.1 or less. I don't know though. I think the study is under powered, but I might not recognize the expected effect sizes for the literature. (I'm also only just now learning this kind of statistics, so take this with a grain of salt).

2. IDK

3. We actually don't think men and women think all that differently. Rather, I think this is more about identity formation. Certainly men and women form identities differently. Some people think this is a cultural phenomenon. Research like this shows that biological mechanisms are also important. As for the need to change one's sex, I think that comes from the cognitive dissonance caused by having an identity that you don't outwardly represent. It would be like knowing in your heart that you are a cardinals fan, but you are always wearing cubs gear, and everyone treats you like and thinks that you're a cubs fan (more forceful with more fundamental identities like gender). Makes you want to fixed the contradiction.

4. I have none. Sorry