Does the INFJ inner life ever shut down? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does the INFJ inner life ever shut down?

Some people get bored because they can't find anything in their external environment to entertain them. Would any of you INFJ's say that your inner lives keep you from ever getting bored?

Most of the time, yes.

Can you start using your inner life/imagination to entertain yourself with daydreams and new ideas at will?

Yes. Almost always.

Or do you ever find that your inner life "shuts down," resulting in you getting bored?

Only when I forget that I have a growing list of ideas to work on or those moments when I feel hopelessly inept at realizing my dreams and aspirations.

Some people get bored because they can't find anything in their external environment to entertain them. Would any of you INFJ's say that your inner lives keep you from ever getting bored? Can you start using your inner life/imagination to entertain yourself with daydreams and new ideas at will? Or do you ever find that your inner life "shuts down," resulting in you getting bored?

I don't know, but my inner life is built by interaction between two or more external enviroments (just like external enviroments is built by inner understandings), so my feeling that I am getting bored comes from bad interaction between me and other person and sometimes because of bad interaction between my inner details.
It is very good notice that new ideas at will is made by inner life. And if every person would be honest to his inside goodness and otehr person goodness, maybe people would concentrate to external side of them, not to inner self (like closing entry to their inner world, which actually should be built by exchanging).
I can not say about shutting down of my inner life, just simply it "starts to sleep", but it is still there hihi

when i became a parent of infants who grew to toddlers (many long years ago) i couldn't hear my inner life very well during that time. re-reading my sporadic journal entries (maybe a couple a year instead of my customary couple a week) they would trail off mid-sentence sometimes. i remember that feeling of not enough psychic space to think deeply. i think that level of attunement to another vulnerable being was very worth it. but it was stressful.

now sometimes i have to remind myself to get a bit more sensory input if i find myself surrounded by too much quiet for too long and think "hmm. i might be getting bored" (a rare thing). just turning on music. or going outside to see what's growing in the yard. or doing a bit of reading. those keep me feeling involved in life.

This resonates strongly with me in that I found my children's toddler years extremely difficult because they interrupted my inner life so frequently; I was torn between loving them and resenting the interruptions.

I can never be surrounded by too much quiet--or haven't been to date, though I love listening to music and gardening; but intrinsically, not for the sake of needed sensory input.

I'm trying to do it for some practical reason (like coming up with a story idea or brainstorming for an essay) for some reason it doesn't happen all that easily.
It's all about tension versus relaxation. Whenever you're relaxed, it's easy to go into those meditative states of mind. When you're tense, your mind gets clogged, which puts a damper on your imagination/inner life. I find that, being an INFJ who obssesses about the results of whatever I'm doing, whenever I'm performing some task with an intended result, I tend to tense up out of worry that I won't be able to succeed in accomplishing that result. That makes it hard to concentrate.

Having two young kids, I can definitely relate to A.'s comments.

There have also been times where I just feel kind of empty of creative voice. In those cases, I often get a sudden need to read and then I binge for a few months--consuming any words in my path. At some point that ends and I go back to daydreaming, building theories, etc.

I've gotten to the point where I'm so overwhelmed with stresses and responsibilities that I just tune them out and live in lala land, until the kids bring me back to reality or a bill collector calls!

Seeing as I have no idea right now if I am infj anymore, I don't even know if I can answer this!

However, if having an inner life that never shuts down, means the following then yes:

as long as I have no distractions, I can produce the most amazing speeches, movies, situations, sircumstances etc ever, and be quite happy :D

It never shuts down.

If it does, it means I'm super worrying or I'm enjoying my situation at that certain moment

Some people get bored because they can't find anything in their external environment to entertain them. Would any of you INFJ's say that your inner lives keep you from ever getting bored? Can you start using your inner life/imagination to entertain yourself with daydreams and new ideas at will? Or do you ever find that your inner life "shuts down," resulting in you getting bored?

Hey, I am never bored! Really. I always find something fun to do. I either read a book, watch a nice movie, read a book, surf in Google, read a book, stuff like that :D Some say I am boring because I am not the party type and I enjoy being at home but I don't care :) As a matter of fact my inner life never shuts down - my imagination runs, I like being busy doing something, solving problems, learning new things, thinking. No, I am never bored :D

does it shut down? yes. bored, only sometimes.

I don't think mine shuts down very often. Even when I sleep my mind is still doing the usual imagination and ideas flowing like a quick running stream. I would like to get physically fitter, but my mind is too busy tiring me out!

:m054::m056::m119:i feel like it's shutting down now :(

I find that doing cryptic crosswords absorbs me and quiets my mind. Otherwise it can be quite a hubub of thoughts and feelings.

well my head dosn' realy ever shut down, but I still get bored.

well my head dosn' realy ever shut down, but I still get bored.
I agree with this. I think I get bored because I've gotten used to having some sort of interesting stimulation and when I have to pay attention to something not interesting to me...well...its boring. My mind is kind of spoiled in this way! ha ha

RememberWhenItRained,
I am a newbie here but just wonderin' if you're doing okay?

Last edited:
I wish I knew how to shut it down sometimes. Really, I love my inner world, but in stressful or difficult circumstances I retreat to it and neglect the real world. This happens especially when I don't have any close friends around to use my Fe with. Lately I feel like I've even been too demanding on my inner world if that makes any sense... like I keep hoping to have one of those "aha" moments, or come up with some genius idea that I can put into action. I've been trying to counter all this out by taking walks, and trying to slow down my thoughts, if not practically stop them. I'd really like to hone my Se

Bored? Sometimes, but that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about things... just boring things.
Shut down? Never, and I mean absolutely never. My brain refuses to shut down. This is a constant source of insomnia... and confusion when other people claim their brains do shut down. I can't even begin to rationalize that.

Bored? Sometimes, but that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about things... just boring things.
Shut down? Never, and I mean absolutely never. My brain refuses to shut down. This is a constant source of insomnia... and confusion when other people claim their brains do shut down. I can't even begin to rationalize that.

This describes me exactly as well

I agree with this. I think I get bored because I've gotten used to having some sort of interesting stimulation and when I have to pay attention to something not interesting to me...well...its boring. My mind is kind of spoiled in this way! ha ha

RememberWhenItRained,
I am a newbie here but just wonderin' if you're doing okay?
i'm fine, thanks for your concern. and don't worry about being a "newbie".

Heck no. Like another person said, "There's a whole 'nother world in there". :D It sometimes feels more real than the outer world.