Do you like your voice? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do you like your voice?

I don't know what my voice sounds like. I think it's something and people seem to find it something else, so :noidea:

I've been told that my voice sounds very refined - which doesn't fit in well with the stereotype Australian male.

Hearing my voice recorded, certainly sounds funny to me - my voice amuses me.

I can't say I'm a fan of my own voice. It cracks too much and always sounds nasally, higher pitched (for what I'd prefer), and lacks a certain something I can't quite place my finger on.

yes, I do. :smile:

cheers,
Ian

I think it is officially a given INFJs hate their voice.

Lol I am once again the odd one out on this one :)

The short answer is not really.

It's funny. I recently noticed how differently I sound when I'm speaking with different people. Males, females, professors, strangers, family, etc. This came to mind because I've been reading a book about body language, and I read that mirroring another person's body language is a way for people to show agreement or approval. You know...the couple that has been together for ages and is starting to look like one another. This is true because they've learned to mirror one another's facial expressions over the years. This even extends to voice, tone, and to an extent accents as well. I noticed how differently I speak to my female friends compared to my male friends. I think I adapt accordingly without really noticing I'm doing it, although thinking about it it's pretty clear. What's even stranger is realizing someone else is unconsciously mirroring my voice/way of speaking. I think I noticed a case where this happened this week. Interesting stuff.

The short answer is not really.

It's funny. I recently noticed how differently I sound when I'm speaking with different people. Males, females, professors, strangers, family, etc. This came to mind because I've been reading a book about body language, and I read that mirroring another person's body language is a way for people to show agreement or approval. You know...the couple that has been together for ages and is starting to look like one another. This is true because they've learned to mirror one another's facial expressions over the years. This even extends to voice, tone, and to an extent accents as well. I noticed how differently I speak to my female friends compared to my male friends. I think I adapt accordingly without really noticing I'm doing it, although thinking about it it's pretty clear. What's even stranger is realizing someone else is unconsciously mirroring my voice/way of speaking. I think I noticed a case where this happened this week. Interesting stuff.

Funny you bring that up. People always ask, "where's your accent?" when they find out I'm a Brooklyn born native New Yorker. I honestly don't have an accent short of the way I was taught to pronounce certain words by family and so on.

I went to Ireland for a couple of weeks and noticed I picked up a slight accent while I was there after only 2 weeks as opposed to the 17 years (at that time) of being in New York.

I moved to the South West and worked in tech support for the entire mid-western USA. I now find I have a slight southern/mid-western accent when I say certain words.

Sometimes my family visits and I find it funny to listen to them with their "have some more potatus" and "Yous goin' wit dose guys or us?" So according to that book, I guess I don't approve with New Yorkers :)

Nah, especially hearing my voice recorded. I sound kind of like Tiger Woods. Not cool. "Fer shizzle"

Reactions: jyrffw54
Funny you bring that up. People always ask, "where's your accent?" when they find out I'm a Brooklyn born native New Yorker. I honestly don't have an accent short of the way I was taught to pronounce certain words by family and so on.

I went to Ireland for a couple of weeks and noticed I picked up a slight accent while I was there after only 2 weeks as opposed to the 17 years (at that time) of being in New York.

I moved to the South West and worked in tech support for the entire mid-western USA. I now find I have a slight southern/mid-western accent when I say certain words.

Sometimes my family visits and I find it funny to listen to them with their "have some more potatus" and "Yous goin' wit dose guys or us?" So according to that book, I guess I don't approve with New Yorkers :)

Ha. I grew up on long island and live in queens now. I don't think I have a long island accent at all, and not many people I know do. Although I do like my cawfee end a baygal in the morning. I am fascinated with how extreme regional accents can be, but also how few people seem to have those extreme accents. But yeah, part of me goes "yikes" when I hear people with very severe regional accents.

My speaking voice? Eh, I am not in love with it. It seems rather childlike to me. I am proud of it in one aspect, though. My entire family has that back woods southern drawl... I don't. That probably comes from years and years of vocal training and work with diction, but it was well worth it.

As for my singing voice, I'm in love with it. Sure there is always room for improvement, but I think I am off to a pretty great start.

Reactions: jyrffw54
I'm frequently told I have a great speaking voice.

I'm not particularly a fan of it, but I think it'll come in handy later.

As a side-note, the difference between how one hears their own voice and how it appears on record is in fact scientific.

Sounds travel best through solids, in the case of the human mouth this means the jaw. Essentially we hear our own voice through our jaw, while others will hear us through the air between you and them. Thus, a recording is more accurate in telling you how you 'actually' sound, or rather, how others hear you.

As a side-note, the difference between how one hears their own voice and how it appears on record is in fact scientific.

Sounds travel best through solids, in the case of the human mouth this means the jaw. Essentially we hear our own voice through our jaw, while others will hear us through the air between you and them. Thus, a recording is more accurate in telling you how you 'actually' sound, or rather, how others hear you.

idea.gif

I'm not a fan of my voice, speaking or singing. It sounds so much better in my head.

Reactions: Bird
I don't dislike it...so...yeah?:m131:

A professor of mine (for a Performing Arts class) told me I have the kind of voice stage actresses take up smoking to develop..
and some random old man after a brief encounter in which I helped him find some item in a grocery store told me I could be on the radio. (He was either giving me a compliment or telling me I was ugly. lol.)

So, the quality of my voice is my greatest talent.
/bows

Last edited:
Reactions: bamf
I'm not a fan of my voice, speaking or singing. It sounds so much better in my head.
Psh! Your singing voice is awesome :)

Reactions: Sloe Djinn and bamf
I LOVE it. I think it reflects my inner self almost exactly, I think it's very beautiful.

I'm not a fan of mine, but I don't hate it either. I do, however, tend to talk very fast, which can make it difficult for others to understand me.
I like the voice in my head, though.
It was really weird when I started talking again [I didn't talk for 4 months, earlier this year]. I HATED my voice, then.