Do you care about growing old? | INFJ Forum

Do you care about growing old?

TrevOrTrevor

Community Member
Aug 4, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Are you afraid of getting old and becoming reliant on other people to wipe your ass? Well really, who would like that...but what about feeling and looking old?

Will you fight to keep your youthfulness?

Sometimes I look forward to the prospect that I can be a capricious, grumpy old bastard and get away with it. Me and a friend at school used to ponder various theatrical musings a comical couple of geriatrics could get up to, and had quite a bit of fun doing so.

Other times, the thought of aging having not achieved certain things and the knowledge that 'in five years I might not be here' positively terrify and distrub me to the point that I must push it out of my mind. Though I used to experence that more when I was young, the fear of death. Until I fully overcome that, it is the only manner in which I envy those who believe in god.

Sometimes I look forward to the prospect that I can be a capricious, grumpy old bastard and get away with it.

:D Yes, exactly! Ha, I can be such a bad-ass.

I'm certainly not afraid of getting old. I do, however, fear becoming helpless physically and mentally and suffering and being miserable because of that. But holding on to my youth seems so futile and I've never been worried about wrinkles and insignificant stuff like that. I have no problems with looking old. Some people say that old people are ugly, I say that there's beauty in everybody, you just need to open your eyes.

Feeling old is really not something positive. You can feel old in a relatively young age, so it's all in your mind. All I want is to be healthy and happy, at peace with myself. So, in a way, I'm looking forward to it. I just wish that life, in general, would last longer.

Last edited:
I don't fear getting old(er) really...I rather like it in some ways. What is more shocking is coming to a point where one realizes that certain dreams probably will never come true and all those goals and plans we had for ourselves will come to nothing.

I am terrified of getting old. Terrified.

Fo you care about growing old?

Are you afraid of getting old and becoming reliant on other people to wipe your ass? Well really, who would like that...but what about feeling and looking old?

Will you fight to keep your youthfulness?

So far I haven't--fought to keep my youthfulness, that is--and it's worked out fine. I guess I figure it's a losing battle, so why would I want to fight it? Besides, there are lots of other things I'd rather spend time and energy on.

I have no clue how to answer this question. I like getting older in terms of growth, independence, security in self, taking it easier, learning to let things go, but i'm a bit reluctant in other respects. I don't have a desire act or behave young. But concerns about health problems developing and waiting to have kids start to loom however.

Last edited:
Its not getting old or death that I'm worried about, its me not being able to accomplish that things I need to do during my life time.
I look forward to growing old, with age comes experience.

I'm not so much concerned about getting old, since the technology in the next few decades will prettymuch make nearly all disabilities moot.

I'm more concerned about being alive for the singularity.

Do you care about getting old?

I guess I would add that I became "old" very suddenly--no time for transition or getting used to the idea. For the last 20 years I've had to rely on others for things I would rather do myself and while it can be frustrating and there's a certain loss of dignity at times, it definitely beats the alternative. And despite the downside, I still am capable of experiencing joy and wonder; in fact, I do so on a daily basis--or at least most days.

I'm not so much concerned about getting old, since the technology in the next few decades will prettymuch make nearly all disabilities moot.

I'm more concerned about being alive for the singularity.

I hope you're right.

And I do care about getting old. I'm scared to.

Last edited:
I worry about what's going to happen to my memory, because it already sucks balls.

Stem cell research could provide cures for pretty much everything... but not if it's banned.

Because, you know, making prosthetics and the like is dangerously close to playing God.

meh old age brings a different type of fun and you're only as old as you allow yourself to be!

I dread getting old. I hope I get struck by lightning or involved in some freak accident before then.

Stem cell research could provide cures for pretty much everything... but not if it's banned.
Banning a technology effectively gives other countries increased incentive to spend money on it.

Nothing short of a deadly pandemic, a meteor strike, or full scale nuclear war can stop the march of technological advancement.

I now kind of dread old age after seeing what they go through at the old folks home. One of their biggest complaints was that people treated them like babies. They felt like they were being talked down to. And really, for the most part, they were. Bath day was a bad, bad day for most of them. A lot of them seemed a bit traumatized afterwards, depending on what attendant they got. ugh
Another complaint was that people weren't patient with them. So, they encountered quite a few condescending and impatient personalities on a daily basis.
Every single one of those old folks at one time or another said to me that old age is not a stroll in the park.
I admired their bravery so much and they gave me hope that I would get through it as well.

Reactions: Gaze
I don't mind growing older to gain wisdom and experience however I am very health conscious and I am worried about the possible health issues which might come with my aging.

Reminds me of this...
[youtube]9oIeLKB0wU8[/youtube]

"Life is like a movie... If it sucks, no one should blame you for walking out early."

Reactions: sumone