Cognitive Processes | Page 15 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

Another day, another test.

(Fi) ******************************************** (44.9)
(Ni) ***************************************** (41.8)
(Fe) ************************************** (38.8)
(Ne) ************************************* (37.8)
(Ti) *********************** (23.3)
(Te) ********************* (21.4)
(Si) ****************** (18.4)
(Se) ************** (14.4)

Well, what do you know... today I am INFP!

(Se) *************** (15.7)
(Si) ********************** (22.9)
(Ne) ****************************** (30.2)
(Ni) ************************************** (38)
(Te) *********************** (23.9)
(Ti) ********************************* (33.9)
(Fe) ******************************** (32)
(Fi) ******************************************** (44)
excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INFJ

Last edited:
Another day, another test.

(Fi) ******************************************** (44.9)
(Ni) ***************************************** (41.8)
(Fe) ************************************** (38.8)
(Ne) ************************************* (37.8)
(Ti) *********************** (23.3)
(Te) ********************* (21.4)
(Si) ****************** (18.4)
(Se) ************** (14.4)

Well, what do you know... today I am INFP!

I really think this test has some ambiguity with Fe and Fi. Most of the F types I know that take it score an unusually high Fi on it. On other tests, none of us score such strong Fi.

For example this one...

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

Other than the Fi score, you've got a classic INFJ spread there.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) **************** (16.9)
limited useintroverted Sensing (Si) ******************* (19.9)
limited useextraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************************** (50.4)
excellent useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************** (29.2)
average useextraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.1)
average useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************* (33.1)
good useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29)
average useintroverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.2)
good use

Blarg I thought so Ne kicks everything elses ass

extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.9)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.3)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (29.2)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.2)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************** (23.9)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.4)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.2)
excellent use
Interesting. First time a test has suggested that I'm INFP.

Last edited:
That is closer to an INFJ set, if you ask me.

The test decided INFP for some reason. First time I've had something other than INFJ or INTJ.

It predicts by a numerical value for each function that corralates to a set order for a type. If it reaches a cutoff, it will say one thing. In this case it feel into the cutoff for INFP. I disagree with the prediction, and I have in the past. A human is a better interpreter of type by looking at these functions then a computer is.

Reactions: Afrelen
It predicts by a numerical value for each function that corralates to a set order for a type. If it reaches a cutoff, it will say one thing. In this case it feel into the cutoff for INFP. I disagree with the prediction, and I have in the past. A human is a better interpreter of type by looking at these functions then a computer is.

That's why it offers two additional options. I've never once not had INFJ in any of the three presented options.

introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.2)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.3)
good use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.4)
good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (29.2)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.2)
average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************** (23.9)
limited use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.9)
limited use

Yup, looks INFJ to me. Fi is likely overclocked due to the way the test formats it's questions. They appeal a lot to Fe. Otherwise everything midpoints, and looks a lot like Indigo's scores... and Indigo is an INFJ posterboy.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.9)
average use

introverted Sensing (Si) ***************************** (29.2)
average use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************** (28.2)
average use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (36.3)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.1)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************** (23)
limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************************** (40.4)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38.1)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or ISFJ

this is veryyyy interesting!!!

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23)
limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.6)
limited use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.3)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************** (38.1)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.8)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.2)
average use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29.9)
average use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42.1)
excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INFJ

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

I think this is my best one to date.

Last edited:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.6)
limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ********* (9.6)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************* (31.9)
good use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************* (50)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) **************** (16.6)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************** (46)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************************** (41)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.5)
average use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTP

Last edited:
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.5)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (25.4)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.5)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.4)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************** (15.9)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************ (24.2)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************************** (40.9)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************************** (47.8)
excellent use

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************** (14.4)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.4)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************** (27.9)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************************** (44.7)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.5)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.7)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.6)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.6)
excellent use

Lead (Dominant) Process

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

----

Heh, people who don't know me insist I'm an INTJ. Maybe now I can point at the Te score to straighten them out. :)

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.4)
average useintroverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14)
unusedextraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************* (31.9)
good useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45)
excellent useextraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.3)
limited useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ****************** (18.2)
limited useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37.7)
excellent useintroverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************************** (47.1)
excellent use

Today I am an INFJ...Sometimes I am an INFP.....Sometimes I type completely differently....

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********** (11.2)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************** (34.9)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.7)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.5)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.2)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.7)
excellent use

I do get really confused as to if I'm INFJ or INFP. Maybe I really am INFP, then.

Last edited:
Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) *********** (11.2)
unusedintroverted Sensing (Si) ********************************** (34.9)
good useextraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37)
excellent useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39)
excellent useextraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.7)
average useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.5)
limited useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.2)
good useintroverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.7)
excellent use

I do get really confused as to if I'm INFJ or INFP. Maybe I really am INFP, then.

I can see the problem you have an unusual high Ne and Fi to go along with your Ni, this has happened to me before though more slightly. Your Ne and Fi are so high to the point of almost matching your Ni, it is likely your an INFP but maybe your an INFJ who has simply develop it's F and N functions ery well, there's nothing wrong with investigating and leaving an ''X'' for now.

Understanding Your Results
A profile of your cognitive development is presented below, based on how you have described yourself. A four-letter personality type code and temperament are also presented for your convenience if you are familiar with those frameworks. Most people find their results match their 4-letter personality type code and temperament. That is, we tend to develop what we prefer and vice versa. As you reflect on your cognitive profile, keep in mind that sometimes we develop a cognitive process to meet the demands of our environment or use a process well in one area of our lives but not others.
The Eight Processes
Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung identified four mental functions — today known as cognitive processes. We focus our attention and gather information using Sensing (S) and iNtuiting (N), and we organize our experiences and make decisions using Thinking (T) and Feeling (F). Jung described how each of these four processes plays out in a person's "internal world" (I) of thoughts, feelings, memories and imagination; and in the "external world" (E) of actions, people, tools and organizations. Thus, 8 cognitive processes (Se, Si, Ne, Ni, Te, Ti, Fe, Fi).
Basic and Developed Use
Each cognitive process can be engaged in a basic, unsophisticated way reflecting our natural human capabilities. Almost everyone can engage each process in some basic way. Beyond this, you will engage some cognitive processes in a more sophisticated, developed way. This is usually the result of innate preference plus lifelong growth and practice, which equals development.
Perceiving—how we focus our attention and gather information
Cognitive ProcessBasic (Passive) UseDeveloped (Active) Useextraverted Sensing (Se)Notice sensory data in the environment.Trust your instincts and take action relevant to the moment and current context.introverted Sensing (Si)Recall tangible data and experiences.Stabilize a situation by comparing it to what is expected, known and reliable.extraverted Intuiting (Ne)Notice abstract patterns as they emerge.Shift a situation's dynamics and explore imaginative potential possibilities.introverted Intuiting (Ni)Receive "ah-ha" insights and realizations.Persue a greater level of awareness to transform who you are and how you think.
Judging—how we organize our experiences and make decisions
Cognitive ProcessBasic (Passive) UseDeveloped (Active) Useextraverted Thinking (Te)Follow steps, points and time tables.Create structure, reason by measures and evidence, and implement complex plans.introverted Thinking (Ti)Adhere to definitions and impersonal principles.Analyze a problem using a framework, and find an angle or leverage by which to solve it.extraverted Feeling (Fe)Honor others' needs and preferences.Connect with people by sharing values and taking on their needs as yours.introverted Feeling (Fi)Adhere to personal beliefs about what's important.Evalute situations and choose what you believe is congruent with your personal identity.
Development is more than basic or developed use of processes in isolation. Excellent use of a cognitive process involves both basic and advanced use as appropriate, and ability to deploy other processes in its service. Average to good use usually means we can use the process in limited situations or use it well but only with the aid of other processes. Poor use means basic use at most. Finally, we may get ourselves into trouble when we don't use a process at all.
Based on your ranked responses to the 120 phrases...
- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Fi[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ni[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Si[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Fe[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Te[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ti[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Se[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]- [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ne[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Your Possible Type Code[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Possible result: INFJ[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Possible result: INFJ[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Your Developmental Curve[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]This model attempts to graph a 'developmental curve'. Theoretically, people should choose simpler, less sophisticated aspects of the cognitive processes more often than they choose complex, more sophisticated aspects. The simpler aspects of each process are necessary to perform the more sophisticated aspects! However, because the phrases are in development, this measure has questionable validity. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Your self-assessment curve = -3.7[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]-- A curve less than 0 indicates you checked simpler phrases more often than sophisticated ones. This is expected, although a particularly low number (more than -10) might happen if the phrases were particularly unclear to you, or if you under-estimated your abilities.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]-- A curve greater than 0 indicates you checked sophisticed phrases more often than simpler ones. This would be counter to a developmental model and might happen if many phrases are badly written or if you have over-estimated your capabilities.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Your Most-Used Processes[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Based on your response, these are your top three cognitive processes in use:[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]
Fi : Evaluating; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.
[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Ni : Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing 'what will be'; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Si : Reviewing past experiences; 'what is' evoking 'what was'; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]These definitions are the copy protected material of Linda V. Berens and Telos Publications, Huntington Beach, CA and may not be used without the authors express written consent. All other material is the exclusive property of Dario Nardi, 2004 and may not be used without express written consent. Please contact us for permissions.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Your Developmental Report[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Your pattern of responses indicates a developmental level in each cognitive processes. Since this is experimental, this report may be in error.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Ti,Se,Ne[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Te[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]You value this process as a helpful aid, even if you do not engage it that often. You trust it contributes to life, particularly when done by others who do the process well. You might recruit others to help you do this process for you.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Fe[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]You actively use this process in your daily life as a useful tool or helpful aid. You could live without it but use definitely contributes to the what you do and who you are. You can work with others using this process, usually in a support role.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Si[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]Ni,Fi[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica]You sustain and grow yourself and those around you long-term through this process. You are at your best, your peak creative and leadership moments when engaged in this process. This is a lead role; it is who you are and what you truly do.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited:
First time I took this. This is only the second test that gave me a result other that INFJ, but INFP is definately my close second.

extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (17.6)
limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.7)
good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (44)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************************** (29.7)
average use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ************ (14.3)
unused

introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************** (23.5)
limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************** (34.1)
good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************************** (46.1)
excellent use

Ok, in general I agree with this. Strong in Ni, Ne, Fi, and Fe. Yes that's me. I think it under represents my Ni a lot though, and my Fe just a bit. Thus my INFP result. But pretty close. And my Se and Te are right on!