Cognitive Processes | Page 13 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

are INTP and INFJ similar? I always get stuck within those and I just find it weird that I don't fit into the most common confused types with INFJ's which are INFP,INTJ,ENFJ etc.

Last edited:
TDHD, you could just be a hybrid type. The one thing I can see for certain is that you are some kind of NJ varient. That alone will explain alot about you, because it allows you to bounce between four types depending on what you need: INFJ, INTJ, ENFJ, and ENTJ. Really, this just means you are pretty well developed for your age already. The most common type (on this forum that I have seen) as far as varients go is the NF varient, where people can bounce between those four types. My varient type is IJ, I can bounce between those four types when I need to. Cognitive function results are usually the best tell tale sign for this. Interestingly though, we all seem to have our primary mode set as INFJ for us varients. I think this is just the nature of how an INFJ works.

are INTP and INFJ similar? I always get stuck within those and I just find it weird that I don't fit into the 2 most common confused types with INFJ's which are INFP,INTJ,ENFJ etc.

Again Racoon, you are still rather young, and your type is going to evolve A LOT more as you grow older. You might not fit into the classical "mistypes" for an INFJ, but that doesn't mean much. I can easily fit into ISFJ and ISTJ if I need to, and I don't know anyone else on the forum that does that. Just because you don't fit a pattern doesn't mean something is wrong.

To answer your question directly though, INTP and INFJ's are wildly different.

TDHD, you could just be a hybrid type. The one thing I can see for certain is that you are some kind of NJ varient. That alone will explain alot about you, because it allows you to bounce between four types depending on what you need: INFJ, INTJ, ENFJ, and ENTJ. Really, this just means you are pretty well developed for your age already. The most common type (on this forum that I have seen) as far as varients go is the NF varient, where people can bounce between those four types. My varient type is IJ, I can bounce between those four types when I need to. Cognitive function results are usually the best tell tale sign for this. Interestingly though, we all seem to have our primary mode set as INFJ for us varients. I think this is just the nature of how an INFJ works.

Hmm, it's funny. The very nature of MBTI profiling kind of gets us thinking we have to be either one or the other and that it's not possible to straddle two, three, or even four different types... but when you really peer closer at the theory, that actually would make sense.

Variant is the only way to describe it, me thinks. I've always been kind of an odd banana when it comes to typing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Again Racoon, you are still rather young, and your type is going to evolve A LOT more as you grow older. You might not fit into the classical "mistypes" for an INFJ, but that doesn't mean much. I can easily fit into ISFJ and ISTJ if I need to, and I don't know anyone else on the forum that does that. Just because you don't fit a pattern doesn't mean something is wrong.

To answer your question directly though, INTP and INFJ's are wildly different.

Ditto. Raccoon, do you have a less recent CF test we can look at for comparison?

Very interesting:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******* (7.2)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) *************************************** (39.9)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************** (27.5)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************** (46.8)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (17.2)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************************************** (42.9)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************* (21.5)
limited use

How the heck do you get your Si that strong? o_O

Ditto. Raccoon, do you have a less recent CF test we can look at for comparison?

NVM. Raccoon, based on past test results, I would definitely put you in as an INFJ.You just have a strong Ti, like moi :) Drives you crazy, don't it?

extraverted Sensing (Se) ********** (10.3)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ******* (7.5)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (36.9)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************** ** (52.3)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28)
average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************************** (40.8)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************* (33.8)
good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************** (30.4)
good use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******** (8.2)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ******* (7.3)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.7)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************** (50)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.7)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.6)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.6)
good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.3)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFJ

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******* (7.9)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ********* (9.1)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.8)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************************** (47.7)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.4)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************** (38.4)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (28.4)
average use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.3)
excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INTP

the most recent ones TDHT

also this is the first one I took:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************ (12.1)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.3)
limited use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.8)
good use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************ (48.9)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.6)
average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.6)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************** (27.6)
average use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************** (30.3)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Extraverted Thinking (Te): Measuring and constructing for progress. Making decisions objectively based on evidence and measures. Checking if things function properly. Applying a procedure to control events and complete goals.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTJ, or INFJ

Last edited:
You seem to have the same problem I do, Raccoon. :)

Retook the test . . . latest results

Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.8) limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ********************** (22.8) limited use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.1) excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.1) excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.8) average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************** (26.9) average use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************* (31.1) good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38) excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INFJ

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Catalyst; secondly Theorist; then Improviser; and lastly, Stabilizer.
To read more about the four temperaments click here.

Retook it again

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.9) limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (25.1) average use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.1) good use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.3) excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************** (27.1) average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************ (24.9) average use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.3) good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************************** (39.1) excellent use

Lead (Dominant) Process

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INFJ

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.8)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************* (13.5)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.9)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************************* (45.4)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************** (23.8)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************* (13.5)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.9)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************************* (45.4)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use

Wow, your Fe is high.

How the heck do you get your Si that strong? o_O

Lol, it just is. I actually quite like Si, and it is very very useful to me. For the longest time I didn't want to admit I used Si, but eventually I came to terms with it.

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************************** (35.3)
good use

introverted Sensing (Si) ****************** (18.3)
limited use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.6)
average use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (36.6)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.4)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************* (21.2)
limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************************** (41.5)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************************** (39.7)
excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFJ, or ESFP

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.
The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Catalyst; secondly Improviser; then Theorist; and lastly, Stabilizer.

hmmmmm...

Last edited:
Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************************** (35.3)
good useintroverted Sensing (Si) ****************** (18.3)
limited useextraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.6)
average useintroverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (36.6)
excellent useextraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.4)
limited useintroverted Thinking (Ti) ********************* (21.2)
limited useextraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************************** (41.5)
excellent useintroverted Feeling (Fi) *************************************** (39.7)
excellent useSummary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFJ, or ESFP

The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Catalyst; secondly Improviser; then Theorist; and lastly, Stabilizer.

Very interesting fly_away maybe you are an ENFJ.

Very interesting fly_away maybe you are an ENFJ.

i don't know raccoon, maybe, i feel like an extrovert sometimes and people think i'm an extrovert sometimes but i think i'm an introvert, maybe i'm an ambivert...

Last edited:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******* (7.5)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ******* (7.7)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************* (45.2)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************** (50.3)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************** (27.1)
average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************************** (39.9)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************** (23.9)
limited use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************** (38.8)
excellent use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFP

Last edited:
i don't know raccoon, ,maybe, i feel like an extrovert sometimes and people think i'm an extrovert sometimes but i think i'm an introvert, maybe i'm an ambivert...

Hmm yeah, you might be ambivert lol, I don't think this test measures any of us accurately..it keeps telling me INTP..

Hmm yeah, you might be ambivert lol, I don't think this test measures any of us accurately..it keeps telling me INTP..

yeah its not always accurate, maybe you are intp, you know, sometimes the t/f part is not all that easy to distinguish...