Cognitive Processes | Page 17 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Processes

mbti.jpg

this is what happens when I go in extreme I mood and become badly depressed.

Cognitive Process
Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) **** (4.4)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************* (31.5)
good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************** (27.6)
average use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************ (48.8)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24.8)
average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************** (44.4)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************** (15.5)
unused

introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************* (43.6)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Thinking (Te): Measuring and constructing for progress. Making decisions objectively based on evidence and measures. Checking if things function properly. Applying a procedure to control events and complete goals.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTJ, or INTP

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.
The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Theorist; secondly Catalyst; then Stabilizer; and lastly, Improviser.
To read more about the four temperaments click here.

Ni>Ti>Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se

Last edited:
Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.7)
limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26)
average use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************* (31.1)
good use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.1)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************** (22.7)
limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************************** (44.4)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.1)
good use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

Introverted Intuiting (Ni): Transforming with a meta-perspective. Withdrawing from the world and focusing your mind to receive an insight or realization. Checking if synergy results. Trying out a realization to transform things.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INFJ, or ESFJ

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.
The Four Temperaments
Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Catalyst; secondly Stabilizer; then Theorist; and lastly, Improviser.
To read more about the four temperaments click here.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************** (18.7)
limited use

introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.4)
limited use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.2)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************************** (42.4)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.8)
average use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (17.9)
limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************* (37)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34)
good use

It pegged me as an ENFJ... with INFJ or ENFP as other possibilities. Not sure if my uncertainty when answering questions fudged it a bit, but I've definitely always scored with I over E by a good bit. Second time I haven't had INFJ pegged as the first hit out of all the tests I've taken, but last instance of that was INFP. NF at least seems pretty much set in stone, haha.

You scored Ne > Ni > Fe > Fi on this test. Ne > Fi would assume ENFP. Ni > Fe would be INFJ and Fe > Ni ENFJ. You seem to have a strong Ne, but if you're pretty sure you're an introvert, INFJ is probably most correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

extraverted Sensing (Se) ** (2.3)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************** (34.9)
good use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************** (22.8)
limited use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.3)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.8)
limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.6)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************************** (50.4)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.5)
average use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process

Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or ISFJ

Reactions: sassafras
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************ (12.5)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) ********** (10.3)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.2)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************** (50.3)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ************** (14.8)
unused

introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************************** (39.9)
excellent use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************************** (30.8)
good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.8)
excellent use

Interesting, the order the other test presented to me was
Ni>Fi=Ti>Ne>Fe>Si>Te>Se

This test, however, presented to me:
Ni>Fi>Ne>Ti>Fe>Te>Si>Se

The fact that Ti is always so explicitly dominant to Te is always amusing though, the differences between the 2 are quite interesting

Last edited:
Update:

I took this again, as I am exiting (and am mostly done) with a very strained and stressful part of my life. I noticed a shift within myself through this, and wondered if it effected my cognitive functions and how I used them. When I was answering questions, I felt that I was answering much more differently then I normally have in the past. Interestingly though, there is very little change in my cognitive function order. I think I am going to restate my order in my signature now, simply because I feel like this is rather accurate for me. My use of Ne is increasing. This is because I am getting better of taking my insights from Ni and letting them flow, instead of nailing them down. My Se actually rose slightly as well. I am starting to develop as a person more. Here are the results:

----------
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********** (10.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************************** (42.1)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.7)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************************** (44.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************** (20.3)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************************** (39.2)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************** (22.7)
limited use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ. If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or ISFJ
----------

Update: [Ni>Si>Fe>Te>Ne>Fi>Ti>Se]

I just Noticed as well that my top four functions remained in the same order. I guess that is proof that I remain static with them, and have learned to use all four of them well (further reinforcing my IJ varient theory for myself. It was my bottom four functions that shifted. Most noted, is Ne, a function I have largely disliked for a long time. I assume the reason it has developed a little is because of the level of effort I am, and have been putting into explaining and verbalizing my Ni. I have been pushing it through both Fe and Te in equal weight. I guess now, that since I am starting to learn to let these insights flow (instead of forcing), it has moulded itself into becoming Ne.

This is all very interesting indeed, and surprising. I actually felt like all of the extraverted functions were going to drop off, because I have wanted alot of solitude for the past month. Plesent surprise for me that this was not the case. Curious that this is mostly amounting to me working on Ne, (With some Ti and Se on the side, I can see them building too). Mind you I know this is just the beginning, but people have to start somewhere. I just noticed it right away, I guess that is a product of having good Si, lol.

I took this again, as I am exiting (and am mostly done) with a very strained and stressful part of my life. I noticed a shift within myself through this, and wondered if it effected my cognitive functions and how I used them. When I was answering questions, I felt that I was answering much more differently then I normally have in the past. Interestingly though, there is very little change in my cognitive function order. I think I am going to restate my order in my signature now, simply because I feel like this is rather accurate for me. My use of Ne is increasing. This is because I am getting better of taking my insights from Ni and letting them flow, instead of nailing them down. My Se actually rose slightly as well. I am starting to develop as a person more. Here are the results:

----------
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********** (10.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************************** (42.1)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.7)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************************** (44.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************** (20.3)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************************** (39.2)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************** (22.7)
limited use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ. If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or ISFJ
----------

Update: [Ni>Si>Fe>Te>Ne>Fi>Ti>Se]

I just Noticed as well that my top four functions remained in the same order. I guess that is proof that I remain static with them, and have learned to use all four of them well (further reinforcing my IJ varient theory for myself. It was my bottom four functions that shifted. Most noted, is Ne, a function I have largely disliked for a long time. I assume the reason it has developed a little is because of the level of effort I am, and have been putting into explaining and verbalizing my Ni. I have been pushing it through both Fe and Te in equal weight. I guess now, that since I am starting to learn to let these insights flow (instead of forcing), it has moulded itself into becoming Ne.

This is all very interesting indeed, and surprising. I actually felt like all of the extraverted functions were going to drop off, because I have wanted alot of solitude for the past month. Plesent surprise for me that this was not the case. Curious that this is mostly amounting to me working on Ne, (With some Ti and Se on the side, I can see them building too). Mind you I know this is just the beginning, but people have to start somewhere. I just noticed it right away, I guess that is a product of having good Si, lol.

That is a very interesting spread indeed, quite different then most INFJ's but I could not help and observe your strong use of shadow functions, I find it very interesting you have a storng Te which is a process I do not understand well and have trouble handling, can you tell me how do you use this process and in which ways can you develop it? also seeing as you use Si, I been getting very high Si results, as a matter of fact, its catching up to my Ti and Fe, but I want to make sure I am not making oncorrect assumptions, I can be very meticulous sometimes about some details because I am naturally a parnoid person, so I don't want to naturally screw anything up lol, but is this more of Ti or Si, also I enjoy remembering my past experiences and sometimes I used them as basis of something, which might support high Si, like me an other INFJ's your last function is Se, I tend to see this in a lot of INFJ's but theoretically shouldn't Se be close to our 4th storngest function? I know I don't like this process at all, and it annoys me to use it..but maybe it is my inferior function..as it is said Se used by INTX types is very limited yet again so are all the shadow functions. I have also noticed my functions are very bipolar, my Fe grows tremendously when I'm more extroverted, while when I become heavy on introversion it goes to almost unused levels, your functions are very stable, but I am guessing thats because I am still deveoping and still have to develop and learn how to use my processes better..anyways I feel like Im asking to much now xD.

Last edited:
Cool Indigo! I've been thinking about about this theory that NFs develop all their NF functions more and more over time... I still don't know what to make of it, but it is an interesting thought.

That is a very interesting spread indeed, quite different then most INFJ's but I could not help and observe your strong use of shadow functions, I find it very interesting you have a storng Te which is a process I do not understand well and have trouble handling, can you tell me how do you use this process and in which ways can you develop it? also seeing as you use Si, I been getting very high Si results, as a matter of fact, its catching up to my Ti and Fe, but I want to make sure I am not making oncorrect assumptions, I can be very meticulous sometimes about some details because I am naturally a parnoid person, so I don't want to naturally screw anything up lol, but is this more of Ti or Si, also I enjoy remembering my past experiences and sometimes I used them as basis of something, which might support high Si, like me an other INFJ's your last function is Se, I tend to see this in a lot of INFJ's but theoretically shouldn't Se be close to our 4th storngest function? I know I don't like this process at all, and it annoys me to use it..but maybe it is my inferior function..as it is said Se used by INTX types is very limited yet again so are all the shadow functions. I have also noticed my functions are very bipolar, my Fe grows tremendously when I'm more extroverted, while when I become heavy on introversion it goes to almost unused levels, your functions are very stable, but I am guessing thats because I am still deveoping and still have to develop and learn how to use my processes better..anyways I feel like Im asking to much now xD.

So far, you, and TDHD, are the only people that has a slightly similar results to mine. This in itself makes sense, we all are similar in some marked respects. The biggest is the very strong need for certainty.

My Te wasn't always that strong. Looking back, I would say it began to develop when I was in 10th grade, when I started to come into my own. I like Te as a process, but in high levels it can be too much for me to deal with. Te for me is like a big filter. It is what I used to be discriminatory towards people. This sounds mean, but it actually isn't. There is a common misconception that Te is a mean process. This does have some basis. If Te is not balenced out well with Fi or Fe, it easily becomes nasty. This is a big reason why ESTJ's tend to come across as mean. Because of the Pairing with Si, Fe and Fi are extremely low in that type (of course, not always). I have seen, and proven by using it myself, that Te can indeed be nice, and still retain it's usefulness. It is sort of a twisted form of Fe for me. When I use it, I am able to explain how I feel and think and understand things in a detached way. It is how I remain objective. Ti can do the same thing, however this is an internal process, and needs to be passed through Ne or Se to work correctly. As such, I don't like it much, nor do I use it much. Te also has a very blunt apperance (simply look at pictures of TJ's and you can see it), which for NF's can be a strong put off. Again I find Te to be useful, and it has it's place. Since I can remove "meanness" from it, It makes sense to me. My father is an ESTJ, so I have influence from him as well.

When it comes to Si, I believe that true use of it manifiests itself internally, not externally. There is this notion that S has to deal only with the physical and reality. Si is internal, those things don't mix readily, so people go with the more common idea that S is external. Si is all about the past, and all about how things should be. I have found this to be exceedinly useful. The past has alot to teach me, and I refrence it all the time to compare to things now. I am all about efficency with people and things. I want things to work, and become clear and easily understandable. This is a side product of having high Si. Si wants things to work right. However, because this is a shadow function for INFJ's this is not fully used in a classic sense. Si always has to conform to the the needs of Ni and Fe in me. If they don't I will disregard it. As such Si has it's place. I feel the same goes for you. You also want things to work clearly and concisely, and you discovered how great Si can be at doing so.

That being said, Si isn't the only way for this to be done. There are other methods. This just happens to be the methods that we have chosen to do all of this. I also think that this is a way to appease Ti, something INFJ's have to develop in order to work well, and be mature. Ti an Si are kind of similar, in that they want things to work well, and that things need to be defined concisely. In essence then Si could be a stepping stone to working at Ti. The reason most NF's dont like Si, is because they have this idea that Si can be mean, and extremely limiting. It actually is rather limiting. Si can make me exceedingly stubborn. Ni doesn't want limitations placed upon it, Ne REALLY doesn't. Because of this, when an NF tries out Si, they get freaked, and push it away. Intriniscly Si shouldn't work. However, it is possible to make it do so, by making it so it has it's place.

I really do think that all of the cognitive functions have a lot to offer. I have thought this since I was a small child really (unknown to me, before I knew what cognitive functions are). Since the shadow functions can be called upon much easier then the tertiary and inferior functions, I pulled at them. This is my need to understand the world fully, be able to explain things, and be able to use things in all media.

Cool Indigo! I've been thinking about about this theory that NFs develop all their NF functions more and more over time... I still don't know what to make of it, but it is an interesting thought.

Hmm he NF theory just makes me want to question my type further as I am aware most INFJ's fall within their NF functions, I am more of a overall balence though, my functions are Ni>Fe>Ti>Si>Fi>Ne>Te>Se, as you can tell there's a clear order of N>F>T>S and then it continues, my Fi and Ne are not the greatest at this point...In the end I guess we have all developed differently.

Last edited:
So far, you, and TDHD, are the only people that has a slightly similar results to mine. This in itself makes sense, we all are similar in some marked respects. The biggest is the very strong need for certainty.

My Te wasn't always that strong. Looking back, I would say it began to develop when I was in 10th grade, when I started to come into my own. I like Te as a process, but in high levels it can be too much for me to deal with. Te for me is like a big filter. It is what I used to be discriminatory towards people. This sounds mean, but it actually isn't. There is a common misconception that Te is a mean process. This does have some basis. If Te is not balenced out well with Fi or Fe, it easily becomes nasty. This is a big reason why ESTJ's tend to come across as mean. Because of the Pairing with Si, Fe and Fi are extremely low in that type (of course, not always). I have seen, and proven by using it myself, that Te can indeed be nice, and still retain it's usefulness. It is sort of a twisted form of Fe for me. When I use it, I am able to explain how I feel and think and understand things in a detached way. It is how I remain objective. Ti can do the same thing, however this is an internal process, and needs to be passed through Ne or Se to work correctly. As such, I don't like it much, nor do I use it much. Te also has a very blunt apperance (simply look at pictures of TJ's and you can see it), which for NF's can be a strong put off. Again I find Te to be useful, and it has it's place. Since I can remove "meanness" from it, It makes sense to me. My father is an ESTJ, so I have influence from him as well.

When it comes to Si, I believe that true use of it manifiests itself internally, not externally. There is this notion that S has to deal only with the physical and reality. Si is internal, those things don't mix readily, so people go with the more common idea that S is external. Si is all about the past, and all about how things should be. I have found this to be exceedinly useful. The past has alot to teach me, and I refrence it all the time to compare to things now. I am all about efficency with people and things. I want things to work, and become clear and easily understandable. This is a side product of having high Si. Si wants things to work right. However, because this is a shadow function for INFJ's this is not fully used in a classic sense. Si always has to conform to the the needs of Ni and Fe in me. If they don't I will disregard it. As such Si has it's place. I feel the same goes for you. You also want things to work clearly and concisely, and you discovered how great Si can be at doing so.

That being said, Si isn't the only way for this to be done. There are other methods. This just happens to be the methods that we have chosen to do all of this. I also think that this is a way to appease Ti, something INFJ's have to develop in order to work well, and be mature. Ti an Si are kind of similar, in that they want things to work well, and that things need to be defined concisely. In essence then Si could be a stepping stone to working at Ti. The reason most NF's dont like Si, is because they have this idea that Si can be mean, and extremely limiting. It actually is rather limiting. Si can make me exceedingly stubborn. Ni doesn't want limitations placed upon it, Ne REALLY doesn't. Because of this, when an NF tries out Si, they get freaked, and push it away. Intriniscly Si shouldn't work. However, it is possible to make it do so, by making it so it has it's place.

I really do think that all of the cognitive functions have a lot to offer. I have thought this since I was a small child really (unknown to me, before I knew what cognitive functions are). Since the shadow functions can be called upon much easier then the tertiary and inferior functions, I pulled at them. This is my need to understand the world fully, be able to explain things, and be able to use things in all media.

Very insightful information, Thank You. About Te, you said that Te helps you expressed yourself in a more logical way, I often do this and leave much feeling out of the situation, I often also saw this as Ti as well which has confused me quite a bit, then you said that Ti is an internal process that needs the aid of Ne or Se to function properly, maybe this could explain the fact that sometimes I fail to express myself correctly when I am trying to prove a point seeing as how my Ne is not the greatest and much less my Se, yet sometimes when I get really in-depth into something I am able to explain things with much ease, in a logical way, I guess this has to do with how comfortable I feel about the subject and that there is not much pressure on. I notice also when I am irritated I can come off as very cold and mean, I have been called so as well, but maybe this is Te in shadow mode, the way you defined Si also describes me quite well as I can become quite stubborn in certain things, but like you said it has a place and my Ni is the process I would naturally use first, my first instinct. Shadow functions being called more often might also explain the fact that I have been neglecting my Se and have not been able to develop this process. Anyhow once again very insightful :)

Last edited:
Hmm he NF theory just makes me want to question my type further as I am aware most INFJ's fall within their NF functions, I am more of a overall balence though, my functions are Ni>Fe>Ti>Si>Fi>Ne>Te>Se, as you can tell there's a clear order of N>F>T>S and then it continues, my Fi and Ne are not the greatest at this point...In the end I guess we have all developed differently.

Your functions look like a pretty clear INFJ to me, with Ni/Fe at the top. I have to struggle to find another plausible match. Perhaps Ti/Ne (INTP) or Ni/Te (INTJ)?

The "shadow" NF functions (Ne/Fi for XNFJ and Ni/Fe for XNFP) will, if the theory is correct, develop gradually over time. Maybe at the expense of other functions. I think trying to make friends with all ones functions is a good thing.

My Si is still my bitter enemy.

extraverted Sensing (Se) **** (4.5)
unused

introverted Sensing (Si) **************************************** (40)
excellent use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.6)
average use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.1)
excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************ (36.9)
excellent use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************* (25.7)
average use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************** (38.2)
excellent use

introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************** (23.4)
limited use

huh...

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFJ
Lead (Dominant) Process

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or INTJ

Last edited:
Hmm...maybe it's what it is, for now:

extraverted Sensing (Se) **************** (16.6) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.6) average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.7) good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.8) good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************ (24.3) average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************** (38.6) excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************************* (45.1) excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************* (25.7) average use

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFJ, or ISFJ

*But I never really get the same results except for Se/Si and Fe/Fi. I usually think about it too much.

Last edited:
Interesting spread Arbygil, you seem to have your secondary and tertiary functions very well developed, maybe your at an age where your learning to develop this processes and your Ni is falling a little bit behind(this is normal and should stabalize after time) or perhaps its a specific mood that's causing you to rely on your secondary functions, anyhow, very interesting result :)

Ne: 52.0
Ti: 38.7
Ni: 36.8
Fi: 30.6
Te: 26.6
Fe: 20.3
Si: 19.1
Se: 15.3
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Looks like I'm no longer an INFJ.

Last edited:
extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (15.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************* (19.1)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************************** (52)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (36.8)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.6)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************** (38.7)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************** (20.3)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Looks like I'm no longer an INFJ.

I have gotten INTP results several times, this does not mean your not an INFJ you might be simply going through a phase in your life whether is A.stressfull and your relying on other functions or 2. Your learning how to develop other functions, I find I get INTP results when I become very introverted, as my Fe goes tremendeously low, not to mention I used to overrate my Ne, you might still be an INFJ, not saying your not an INTP as I have not seen much of your posts, but don't let a particular result change your choice right away, think about it, reflect on it, perhaps take it a couple of days later..this test results tend to change a lot depending on mood.

Last edited:
Actually, I think it was the other way around, I tested INFJ under years of stress, and INTP is my "natural" MBTI.