Anyone play instruments? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Anyone play instruments?

I used to play violin and the piano when I was a kid, but I never got that good at it (mostly because I didn't enjoy it, or we were always running late to lessons or a concert). I didn't read music but I usually picked up the tune without the need for sheet music. I *hated* concerts though, because I had to concentrate on the notes to make sure I was on the same page as everyone else. It stressed me out. :p

Oh, yeah. I also played handbells

Change handbells to cello and SAME! I was so uninspired and hated reading music! I can only play by ear so that setting was horrible.

Lol! Me too! I think I would've been happier with guitar, but I'm sure my father wouldn't have gone for it. :p

i used to play the B Flat trumpet in middle school, started when i was in 4th... and i was the best trumpeter in the class, grasping hold of the knowledge of the notes within weeks...

then i moved onto percussion and baratone...

then, after a while, i got into banjo and accordian...

i also carry a harp (harmonica) with me sometimes too...

I used to play flute in high school. I taught myself to play the piano :D
I love making music, and I've created a lot using digital programs like Reason where you play it into the computer through MIDI and record it. I've made some cool orchestral peices in there :m129:
Awesome! I've been looking for something like this because I want to make some orchestral peices myself. I used to mess around with Finale, but it's a bit too methodical and boring and I couldn't find out how to do the stuff I wanted. I've seen some programs in videos where the person makes everything using the keyboard, but for some reason :wink: I can't find a program that utilizes the keyboard to do such. I've seen stewart copeland use a keyboard to make the soundtracks to spyro the dragon games and that's exactly what I want to be able to do. Can you do this with Reason?

I play guitar (semi expert), bass (I suck at), and piano (not very well).

I used to play the saxophone, drums (very briefly), and the violin.

I'm decent to good on Tuba, Trombone, and bass guitar. In my 'band' career, I've played Bassoon, clarinet, Viola, guitar, Trumpet, Baritone and I've played a few notes on some other instruments.

Edit: I've done a stint on cymbals to..

Last edited:
I used to have a Les Paul Standard, Fender strat and mouse organ.........now I play acoustic and sing to annoy the neighbours..

Cello as well, Lurker.....Started when I was five and had a dragon of a teacher. She decided, by the time I was seven, that I was going to be the next Jaqueline due Pre (she knew her and had played with her).....The woman was terrifying and I absolutely hated the cello because of her. Was forced to continue until I was eighteen and due to pushy parents, I now barely touch the thing anymore (They meant well and thought it would give me a stable future but I just felt totally wrong in the cello world). I think it is important that people choose the instrument they play and I'd like now to learn to play piano. I even feel I may pick the cello up some day soon but I certainly do not want to make a career out of it!!

not counting the amazing noises i make when i jam on all the keys randomly

:rockon:

Awesome! I've been looking for something like this because I want to make some orchestral peices myself. [...] Can you do this with Reason?

Yeah, Reason is a pretty cool program. It's like having several different synthesizers and samplers all in one package, and it comes with some good sounds. They also have add-ons, called "Re-fills," that are like high quality specialized sample libraries, and I'm sure they must have an "orchestral" Re-fill. (Or maybe more than one - they might have a "Strings" Re-fill and a "Brass" Re-fill and a "Woodwinds" Re-fill, etc.)

And yeah, you control it all through a MIDI keyboard (and your mouse).

I played trumpet through middle school and part of high school, but not since. And music class taught me a little bit of guitar and piano. I don't own any instruments, though, so my music life sort of died as soon as I left that >.>

Last edited:
Cello as well, Lurker.....Started when I was five and had a dragon of a teacher. She decided, by the time I was seven, that I was going to be the next Jaqueline due Pre (she knew her and had played with her).....The woman was terrifying and I absolutely hated the cello because of her. Was forced to continue until I was eighteen and due to pushy parents, I now barely touch the thing anymore (They meant well and thought it would give me a stable future but I just felt totally wrong in the cello world). I think it is important that people choose the instrument they play and I'd like now to learn to play piano. I even feel I may pick the cello up some day soon but I certainly do not want to make a career out of it!!

Couldn't agree with you more. I never had passion for piano, violin or cello, and I hate sight reading so even playing in my own time seemed like work never fun, that all changed the day I picked up a bass guitar, it just felt so right. I changed high-schools when I was 14 and the band master considered cello to bass a good fit :loco: I didn't complain cause it meant I could do a subject called 'band' the most slack-assiest subject even, all we did was play. I found pleasure in playing an instrument that I couldn’t have understood prior. You should give piano a go, you may love it.

Hey Lurker,

The change to bass is one I have thought about doing too!! When I was in my final year at high school I had to have a second instrument for final exams. I wanted to choose bass but it was not allowed as the bass and cello are too similar. Bizarrely, the exam board did allow people to play both piano and keyboard but not cello and bass guitar. I'd still like to play bass but I'm not sure if I am funky enough these days-heehee!! I'm getting old..... Having 'band' as a subject sounds pretty great but my high school days were spent in bloody orchestra and as much as I love classical music, I detested orchestra. I was desperate to become a dancer (against the wishes of my pushy 'music' parents) so I used to sit in orchetsra and choreograph in my head. I feel like this :m196: when I remember how I felt playing the cello ;o)

Have you heard of the band Preshrunk?

i played violin as a child, sang as a teenager and now I play theremin!

I play the alto Sax, and I sing. I used to play the piano and flute, and I have produced notes on a, tenor, bari, and soprano sax, clarinet, trombone, bassoon, and several percussion instruments.

edit: necessary cat emoticon
c05.gif

Last edited:
Piano, and a little bit of the Flute.

I'd love to learn flamenco guitar.

Ditto.

Yeah, I played piano growing up. I played some flute in high school, took a year of violin, and played a semester or two of tenor sax. Dabbled a few times with the clarinet too, which I really enjoyed.

God I miss all of it. I loved playing in an orchestra and I really miss playing the piano, enjoyed the tenor sax... and would love to play guitar. And sing well. I've considered taking vocal lessons. Sometimes I just want to express my emotions vocally through music, but feel constrained by my vocal cords.

I sing in my school's choir (which has over 200 students). I don't know how the teacher can remember so many names.

I also take piano lessons from her, but I'm not that good.

Hey Lurker,

The change to bass is one I have thought about doing too!! When I was in my final year at high school I had to have a second instrument for final exams. I wanted to choose bass but it was not allowed as the bass and cello are too similar. Bizarrely, the exam board did allow people to play both piano and keyboard but not cello and bass guitar. I'd still like to play bass but I'm not sure if I am funky enough these days-heehee!! I'm getting old..... Having 'band' as a subject sounds pretty great but my high school days were spent in bloody orchestra and as much as I love classical music, I detested orchestra. I was desperate to become a dancer (against the wishes of my pushy 'music' parents) so I used to sit in orchetsra and choreograph in my head. I feel like this :m196: when I remember how I felt playing the cello ;o)

Really? Bass and cello too similar? I just don't see it, besides the fact they both have strings and are bass cleff instruments I don't see many similarities. Stupid rules! Age shouldn't hold you back, remember; You'll never be as young as you are now again :wink:

Have you heard of the band Preshrunk?

Yup, like the concept too and the sound they produce with two basses is so funky! Ironically my favourite Aussie band is a two piece without a bass :noidea:

I tried learning guitar once. Electric actually. I now need to replace a guitar string.

I am really happy to se so many musical talents! :)
I myself am first and foremost a pianist (8 years), but play guitar as well.

I used to play Trumpet and Baritone in an orchestra for 5 years haha.
Don't anymore although those years of learning musical notations surely will not be altogether forgotten.