What do you think about jesus | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What do you think about jesus

....and it's for anyone else who wants to get a hold of it!

Hehe... exactly :). Totally inclusive! Thanks Nitesteamer, right back at ya :).

Your basing this out of what book and chapter of the Bible?
Do you think anything written in the bible is original, and was not told before that?
I'm only trying to make sense of the origin of all these recurring stories. Especially those based around characters are related to the fact that such characters are found in any large enough group of humans.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I understand your point. Perhaps I should have articulated myself better. I am not saying that people shouldn't push themselves intellectually, and that scientific discovery doesn't improve society. It's an element of our existence, it plays its part and in many ways it is beneficial. However, the current stance for many is that absolutely everything can and must be analysed and explained using science and logic. And that this negates the need for a God. I disagree with these points. Science explains the "where and how". It describes processes. I think that is its place. When you start to suggest that it can provide answers to the "who and why", this is where I think people are missing the point. Centuries and centuries of stacked up "facts" and philosophies, they change with the wind, [Science is based around reevaluating itself. The facts that do change with the wind tend to become more and more precise with each incarnation.] and where do they get us anyway? [Forward?] Rationality is knowledge, which is a possession. [Rationality is not knowledge, it is a mode of reasoning.] It weighs you down with self-importance, pride, arrogance. [?] I personally would rather seek out freedom. You can use science to help to cure illnesses, engineer buildings with better earthquake resistance. You can't prevent cancer mutating, or stop an earthquake in its tracks. [Not currently, but maybe some time in future.] Logic has limits, God is boundless. [Science is not the same as logic, not strictly anyway. God is boundless because people need an entity that is boundless. Substituting God in the gaps of your understanding doesn't actually speak for God's power, but your ignorance.] And I don't think that it is necessary (or possible) to prove the existence of God to prevent religious disputes. If people understand Him in the right way, the last thing they want is disputes. [I appreciate the idealism, but there are very few religious folk out there who tend to be pacifists. If that is indeed how God wills religion to be, then I must say the message didn't come across very well.]

Reactions: Blind Bandit
[MENTION=3538]Arsal[/MENTION]. Forward towards what? Ha, I think this is just a case of differing perspectives and priorities. We may have to agree to disagree :).

Do you think anything written in the bible is original, and was not told before that?
I'm only trying to make sense of the origin of all these recurring stories. Especially those based around characters are related to the fact that such characters are found in any large enough group of humans.

Believe it or not I do, in fact I tend to believe that Christianity stands out from every other religion on the planet.

With that being said you can't go out on a limb and say things like Christians are wrong about Jesus because other people believe different things about different people.

Especially when your subject of conversation is a very specific person.

I have not read the entire thread (sorry), so what I say might be re-stated elsewhere.

Analyzing religion in terms of it's impact and uses on and for humanity is a more pressing concern than figuring out the "right" path. If Providence, should it exist, disagrees with the holistic analysis then it follows we'd receive an indication.

Stoner-Dog-If-you-say-Jesus-backwards-it-sounds-like-sausage.jpg

Reactions: acd and cocobean
What do you thinki about jesus?

I think he's one of the more fascinating figures in history. I also think he was quite a lunatic, very driven, very sure of what he wanted. His ideology is quite okay, though I don't like what the Church has made of it. But I like the thought that his sect of a few followers has managed to grow in the shadow of the Roman Empire because they offered basic social services which the Empire didn't care about. The ethics he praised was too simple and I'm glad it has been developed into something more sophisticated.

That is not a good translation. Jesus's reply would be more accurately translated from the Greek as "That's what you say."
Yes, but regardless of translation, it is also interesting that this was taken as fully condemning statement. "What further need have we for testimony? We have heard it from his own mouth." Jesus was in BIG trouble.

Last edited:
He could walk on water. He made food fall from the sky. He turned water into wine. He came back from the dead. I don't know too many other people who fit that category but I don't get out much.

Reactions: Gaze and just me
That is not a good translation. Jesus's reply would be more accurately translated from the Greek as "That's what you say."

actually going back and looking at the Greek it's "you say that I am"

I sometimes think about Jesus teaching among the people and healing the sick. Sometimes I think about him appearing, in a much altered way, to so many eyewitnesses after his resurrection. I also think of him as "...the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." The three images each speak in their own way, just as each is a kind of refraction of what I experience of Jesus within everyday life, usually in very organic, simple, yet profoundly meaningful ways. It is something of the past, yes, but also something of the immediate now, of each breath.

"Jesus wept." I think about that a lot when I think of Jesus. I loved the way He spoke in parables. I love the way He makes me feel today.

One of the biggest personality cults.

The single most important question a person will ever answer is, "Who is Jesus?" He is either Lord, a liar, or a lunatic. As a student of the Bible, he indeed is Messiah and fulfillment of all Old Testament prophecies. His Gospel is truth.

The single most important question a person will ever answer is, "Who is Jesus?" He is either Lord, a liar, or a lunatic. As a student of the Bible, he indeed is Messiah and fulfillment of all Old Testament prophecies. His Gospel is truth.

I agree with this. With Jesus, I'm not just striving to follow his example in my way of living. I'm living it with Him.
I believe He is Lord, and will come again to Judge.
He came to save us, not condemn us for all our wrong doings.
He took all our sins upon himself, dying a gruesome death in a very human manner.
He is powerful, but at the same time showing gentle humility and unconditional love for you.

He loves those who scoff at the mention of Him....or Christianity...or Religion in general.

He has moved me to see Christianity not as a religion, but a Relationship.

He was one of my favorite fictional characters ever. So much agappe.