What do you think about jesus | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

What do you think about jesus

He doesn't fit as an Archetype for good behavior though.... not unless you subscribe to all of his teachings which Include the belief in God and Jesus' divinity. Without those he quickly becomes a lunatic or fanatic.

Of course, and in those cases, it is projected nowhere... the archetype doesn't need to be a real person. It's just that; an ideation. It exists within all of us as part of an ideal that may or may not exist.

For Christians, it definitely exists, and that archetype is called Jesus. This was followed through for many, many years by the majority of Western civilization until irreligious philosophy took over religious philosophy as people's primary means of orienting to life. However, He continues to exist, because Bible continues to exist and while Christianity is mostly outdated as philosophy (no offense meant), there are people who still believe it.

I'm not sure if I'm translating this correctly, but perhaps the best example I can give is to look at the Muslim world. Muhammad is unanimously considered the Good Behavior archetype. Whether or not he was real is inconsequential, when people are troubled, they think "What would Muhammad do?" In fact, they are not thinking what Muhammad in such a situation would do, but would their inner Good Behavior Archetype is telling them to do, which is then projected outward.

I cannot say that for myself, because my primary philosophy in life is an irreligious one, but there is definitely a tiny man inside my heart who guides my behavior and tells me right from wrong. Overtime, I might find that man in the real world, or I might never; only time is testament for that. Overtime, the Muslim world might be overtaken by irreligious philosophy and Muhammad, like Jesus, would continue to exist regardless of being outdated, because Qur'an would continue to exist... but it doesn't invalidate the reasons why these religions were created in the first place; to provide means to orient oneself to life.

...am I making sense?

It's not something I've previously given a lot of thought. For that reason, I particularly like books that give me a chance to experience different perspectives. I read Mission by Patrick Tilley several years ago. More recently, I borrowed the following book from my local library, having by chance picked up the authors' latest book which was her autobiography. (I've included the link to the authors' website, but it is also on Amazon).

http://www.sylviabrowne.com/p/The-Mystical-Life-of-Jesus/28239.html

I enjoyed it for the human angle it gave Christ, while also discussing his teachings from his words, rather than the institution of the Church.

Luke 22:70&71 - 70 And they all said, “Are You the Son of God, then?” And He said to them, “Yes, I am.” 71 Then they said, “What further need do we have of testimony? For we have heard it ourselves from His own mouth.”

It is a modern time translation error, misinterpretation by the common man. You know how a feather can quickly turn into whole a chicken. More than a thousand years have gone by since the creation of the bible, and the bible has gone through several English translations since then to keep up with English as English progressed to become what it is today. If you ask someone who knows Hebrew, and can actually read the context of the original version, they will tell you Jesus never claimed to be the son of God.

Edited: Not to mention how that's from the New Testament, which makes it even less noteworthy considering how it was an indoctrination by men with power from a time when Christians created the term "Infidel", hunted down women, called them witches, and burned them alive, and where they hanged or decapitated people who didn't believe in God. I'm sure we have another example for indoctrination. Ah yes, Adolf Hitler and Mein Kampf. Yes, I am comparing the New Testament with Mein Kampf.

Last edited:
Then they don't have to worship him. Simple.

It doesn't explain the hostility.

Most people accept that Buddha had great ideas which are very similar to those of Jesus, without getting hostile at the idea of Budda, even though he's also a figure that may or may not have existed and is reported to have performed miracles. People don't have a problem with other people worshipping Buddha, or those people thinking that Buddha was a divine incarnation.

While I can fully understand why people might be hostile with Christians, I don't get the hostility with Jesus, other than validation for the scriptures that say things like "the world will not accept me", because there are other figures that represent the same concepts that people have no problem with.

Just... interesting to me. Seems to prove the spiritual power of the man if he's still having this effect on people.

I was going to bring up Buddha as well; they lived identical lifestyles 500 years apart from one another. They even taught the same ideals. The biggest differences are that Siddhārtha Gautama's life was fairly well documented before and after teaching Buddhism, whereas Jesus appears at birth and again at the age of 30 - anything in between that is a gray area left open for debate. The other is that Buddha's teachings were directly taught and transcribed during his lifetime whereas Jesus relied on others to write down his words after he died.

Between the two, when it comes to facts, Jesus leaves a lot of gaps open to debate. Given the political climate and intolerance surrounding him in what we know of his life and his followers after the fact, the true, historic documentation starts when Rome converted to Christianity and the entire country became a bloodbath - Pagan vs. Christians. That kind of reflects poorly on the founder of the religion, even if that wasn't his teaching. Although it's a bit "Hollywood-ized" watch Agora for a rather good example of what early Christianity became, the history in that movie is close to accurate.

It is a modern time translation error, misinterpretation by the common man. You know how a feather can quickly turn into whole a chicken. More than a thousand years have gone by since the creation of the bible, and the bible has gone through several English translations since then to keep up with English as English progressed to become what it is today. If you ask someone who knows Hebrew, and can actually read the context of the original version, they will tell you Jesus never claimed to be the son of God.

There are two questions with this:

1 - Was the error an accident or intentional? History has proven what the Catholic church will and can do to maintain control of people.

2 - If the original text was written in Latin and Latin is the foundation for most Western languages, I find it humorous when a translation error to English if found in the Bible... which brings up back to question 1.

There are two questions with this:

1 - Was the error an accident or intentional? History has proven what the Catholic church will and can do to maintain control of people.

2 - If the original text was written in Latin and Latin is the foundation for most Western languages, I find it humorous when a translation error to English if found in the Bible... which brings up back to question 1.

I prefer not to take wild guesses, instead walk my own path and claim that I am Jesus.

Then they don't have to worship him. Simple.

It doesn't explain the hostility.

Most people accept that Buddha had great ideas which are very similar to those of Jesus, without getting hostile at the idea of Budda, even though he's also a figure that may or may not have existed and is reported to have performed miracles. People don't have a problem with other people worshipping Buddha, or those people thinking that Buddha was a divine incarnation.

While I can fully understand why people might be hostile with Christians, I don't get the hostility with Jesus, other than validation for the scriptures that say things like "the world will not accept me", because there are other figures that represent the same concepts that people have no problem with.

Just... interesting to me. Seems to prove the spiritual power of the man if he's still having this effect on people.

Christians are way to pushy with their faith.

I find it interesting how many people are hostile toward the idea of Jesus, even though he was one of the nicest people in history who taught a wonderful message that anyone could benefit from, even if you ignore the parts about God. Be kind. Love one another. Forgive. Be a good person. Help others.

If I remember someone once said. "I like your Christ but not your Christians" I tend to feel this way about it.

I like his whole "love for everybody" hippie gig that he had going on. He was a champion of the poor, downtrodden, oppressed and outcasted.

As for the whole religion thing, not so much.

Reactions: Arsal
I find it interesting how many people are hostile toward the idea of Jesus, even though he was one of the nicest people in history

We really don't know much about Jesus the person a part from a few stories. I haven't gone through and read the bible but I think it's safe to say its not a biography.

who taught a wonderful message that anyone could benefit from, even if you ignore the parts about God. Be kind. Love one another. Forgive. Be a good person. Help others.

True, but it's not like Jesus invented kindness. For some reason, Christians seem to think that everyone gets their morals from Christianity. That's not the case at all. Many Christian ideas had existed long before Jesus and the bible.

Acceptance was the biggest message of Jesus, which seems to be missed by many Christians. Many pre-Christian civilizations were far more accepting than those existing in the Ano Domini era.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Yes, I do believe Jesus was the Son of God and Messiah. I understand that these words hold lots of cultural baggage for us (depending on our perspective) and that's fine. Suffice it to say that Jesus revealed something about God/the Divine that we might never have known otherwise, although upon considerations hints of these things resonate throughout all of creation and in many paths that consider the essentials of integrated truth.

I respect that the Gospels were not written as historical documents...they are more complex than this...but I do believe there are significant historical fragmants nested within the New Testament that give one pause. For me, there are sufficient number of these to tip the scale, for me to believe the essential Jesus story. If these things (or even a percentage of these things) happened according to eyewitness accoounts (or approximately so, given the movement from oral tradition to written form) then their significance is huge. If I cannot deny (or ignore)certain major occurances witnessed to in the Gospels, then I have a problem....ignore them, explain them away, or believe. I chose the latter.

The problem becomes that if we choose to believe, it almost requires that we enter into a place of learning from Jesus today...now, in our own lives by the ongoing action of Spirit within us and within community. This can, does, and is happening today and is as real now as it was in Apostolic times....virtually the same. It is not a faith just of the past...it is a faith and action of now. It is also just as possible to ignore as it ever was.

Perhaps Jesus demands too much from us...his words are too hard to hear. I understand this. However, one really must enter into this mystery to begin to understand it. From without it makes little sense and may even seem laughable or naive or foolish. Perhaps we feel too disconnected, remote, unworthy....or that Jesus would simply ruin our fun or lay waste to our life plans and caculations. We are afraid. All this does happen and is understandable.

But for me entering into this has opened up a world of incalculable depth, of moving past illusion (within me and without) to enter a world of deeper reality.....and after 40 years I assure you I am still a learner, a disciple. At this point I find the really amazing thing is that Jesus relates to each and every person in a myriad of ways...deeply, in the midst of infinite diversity and connection, right where people are. This is a profound dignity.

The Jesus community has been manipulated and co-opted and distorted at many times within human history. We can all see that (and there's some we do not see as well). Yet, what is less visible is the quiet action that occurs (on an even larger scale) under the actions that history tracks, the world of power and political manipulations and control. There is another story at work, and this is the story that Jesus set in motion. He did not fix everything (although people sure thought he would) and he does not now (although we still wish he would)....but something else got set in motion, something profound, solid, respectful, and freeing in a way many still find very hard to accept.

You can develop a deep relationship with Jesus through the church and through prayer. It's weird and great. I recommend this. Jesus wasn't a jerk, but Pilate was, and Judas was. Lots of Christians are jerks, I guess, but Christians generally are pretty ok. Churches are really ok. I think they're pretty fun to be in. I like how there are common rules, but lots of freedom, and the singing is great fun. You have to shop around and find a church that fits, but then it all seems to work. Watch out for churches that try to monitor your actions. Some pastors actually think they can tell you which movies you can watch and stuff. That sucks. Lutherans generally believe in freedom of inquiry in all spheres, as do Episcopalians, and most mainline Protestants but the Catholics and Greek Orthodox have prettier churches. There are 1200 denominations. It makes Baskin Robbins look limited, I guess. The Bible is the most beautiful book ever written: it even tops Shakespeare. It really does. Even the boring parts of the Bible are just amazing. It's the most amazing book I've ever read, and I've read thousands and thousands in several languages.

You can develop a deep relationship with Jesus through the church and through prayer. It's weird and great. I recommend this. Jesus wasn't a jerk, but Pilate was, and Judas was. Lots of Christians are jerks, I guess, but Christians generally are pretty ok. Churches are really ok. I think they're pretty fun to be in. I like how there are common rules, but lots of freedom, and the singing is great fun. You have to shop around and find a church that fits, but then it all seems to work. Watch out for churches that try to monitor your actions. Some pastors actually think they can tell you which movies you can watch and stuff. That sucks. Lutherans generally believe in freedom of inquiry in all spheres, as do Episcopalians, and most mainline Protestants but the Catholics and Greek Orthodox have prettier churches. There are 1200 denominations. It makes Baskin Robbins look limited, I guess. The Bible is the most beautiful book ever written: it even tops Shakespeare. It really does. Even the boring parts of the Bible are just amazing. It's the most amazing book I've ever read, and I've read thousands and thousands in several languages.

I'm glad your happy. But I don't dare step into a church unless its a tour of a cool Gothic Church. Otherwise not so much.

Last edited:
What do you thinki about jesus?
what do you believe he was like?
do you understand his concepts?
do you believe his character was such a way as to be regarded Divine?
do you think he was really god in human form?

The only things I know about Jesus are what other people wrote about him a couple hundred years after his life. If what the Bible says is, in fact true, then I think Jesus was pretty a-okay. I can speculate that maybe he was a good person to be around, probably well rounded, well developed intellectually and emotionally and was probably more "in touch" with certain truths than other people. But like I said, I can only speculate.

It's hard for me to imagine that he was God in human form in the way that most people perceive it. I like to think we all come from one common source, whether that be God or otherwise. You could say then that we're all sons and daughters of God and I don't think that makes him any more special than you or I. He just had a lot of good ideas and things to say and people followed him, as people like to do.

King James Version (KJV)

Isaiah 53

1Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. 12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Many years have passed in this current age, and there shall none other walk this earth worthy of this man's significance to me.

He probably existed, it seems historically likely. He probably didn't turn water into wine. He was probably charismatic and kind and people loved him and followed him for it. He may have done great things.

Aside from that, he's a dude, he's dead now. That's about it.

I'm an atheist, but I am at the same time one who believes that the teachings of Jesus hold a lot of moral worth.

I generally agree with a lot of what he said about treating other people how you want to be treated, loving your neighbour etc. These are things we should do regardless of if we think there's someone up in the sky watching us and keeping score, awarding marks or whatever you believe in.

Do I think he was divine? that very much depends on what your view of 'divine' actually is. If it means was he a god in human form and should be worshiped, then absolutely not, but if you think, as I do, that there is something divine about humanity and kindness, then yes, I think so.

Lol at the F posts vs. the T posts.

I love Him.

Edited: Not to mention how that's from the New Testament, which makes it even less noteworthy considering how it was an indoctrination by men with power from a time when Christians created the term "Infidel", hunted down women, called them witches, and burned them alive, and where they hanged or decapitated people who didn't believe in God. I'm sure we have another example for indoctrination. Ah yes, Adolf Hitler and Mein Kampf. Yes, I am comparing the New Testament with Mein Kampf.

your basing the assumption that verse is misinterpreted based on what? Small problem your theory of translations, English translations are based on Greek manuscripts not from earlier English translations. Funny story I know a bit of Hebrew and Greek and know men who hold degrees in both who will tell you you that for all intensive purposes the NASB is a reliable translation of it's respective text.

The earliest Gospels predate a Christian Rome and the epistles are dated earlier then the gospels some within ten to twenty years of Christs death.

But hey who hey don't take my for it, as any other Bible scholar.

It's one thing to be dismissive of Christians and of Christ. I think it's part of our freedom as Americans. I wish more people were aware of how Christians are getting killed around the world and would say something about it, as they care about Tibetan Buddhists who are being destroyed by the Red Chinese, or as they care for the Jewish people as they faced extinction in the Holocaust. Christians in Egypt (they make up about ten percent of the Egyptian population) are getting slaughtered now by extreme fundamentalists. One guy had his ear chopped off for fun by Muslims this week (it was in the Wall Street Journal on the front page). I know most of the secularists don't care, or even hope it continues. The southern Sudanese are largely Christian and have been killed now for decades by the northern Sudanese (Islamic). In East Timor there has been a major genocide against the Christian communities there, too. Untouchables in India are turning Christian by the hundreds of thousand, but are also getting killed by the Hindu majority. Christ isn't just Him, but all those who believe in him. "What ye do unto the least of these, ye do also unto me."

There's no historical evidence that Jesus was any more real than Luke Skywalker.
However, if he was a real guy...one to be admired.
The stories of Jesus, the lessons... for the most part one can learn good things from them whether truth or fiction.

Jesus as son of god...Sure Jesus was the son of god just as I am the daughter of god and we are all sons and daughters of god...

But I don't think he holds anymore divinity than someone like Ghandi...another good guy with some good lessons...and who's existence we can prove.