What book(s) are you currently reading? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

What book(s) are you currently reading?

I might read some Pynchon soon, tell me what you think when you're done.
Well I finished it last night. It was pretty interesting but Pynchon's writing style was more of a headache to me than anything. At times he was extremely difficult to follow. His sentences often contain 4 or more commas. Personally I don't like his writing all too much, but that's just me. I wouldn't say don't read him, just be prepared for some potential brain work.

I finished "A Map of The known World" by Lisa Ann Sandell. It was a sweet story.

Now Im reading "Aunt Dimity's Death" by Nancy Atherton

Well I finished it last night. It was pretty interesting but Pynchon's writing style was more of a headache to me than anything. At times he was extremely difficult to follow. His sentences often contain 4 or more commas. Personally I don't like his writing all too much, but that's just me. I wouldn't say don't read him, just be prepared for some potential brain work.
The brain work sounds like fun, but the 4 comma sentences sound like a drag, since I don't really like reading sentences like this one, being as they run on forever, which causes me to lose my train of thought by this point.

Just started "Farthest Star" by Frederik Pohl, and Jack Williamson.

Not sure what to make of it yet as I've only made it partways through Ch. 2 so far; it has batfish people, a mutated talking monkey, lots of clones and robots.

The brain work sounds like fun, but the 4 comma sentences sound like a drag, since I don't really like reading sentences like this one, being as they run on forever, which causes me to lose my train of thought by this point.

Your sentence in essence is Pynchon's, just more coherent.

I'm reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" for the first time. My mom never let me read any of the Harry Potter books when I was little because it had witches, wizards and magic. I'm trying to catch up now.

Next week I have to finish the graphic novel "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi as required reading for college.

Oh! Persepolis is *beautiful!* It's one of my favorite books, graphic novel or otherwise. It's such an intriguing read of Iranian culture...I think you'll like it.

I just finished The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho ... the second book I read for Paulo Coelho ( the first was The Alchemist), and I gotta say he's a good writer
Now I am reading Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire and Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert I am still not too far in them but Ive read Dune and it's a good book :)

I don't read. I smack books against my head to increase my manliness. If the story is worthy, it will pass through my skull undestroyed. So far, no stories have gotten in, which proves I am 100% man.

Seriously, I'm reading a book on French and No Fear, No Death by Thich Nhat Hanh. In a few days I'll be reading books for school.

Oh! Persepolis is *beautiful!* It's one of my favorite books, graphic novel or otherwise. It's such an intriguing read of Iranian culture...I think you'll like it.

Amen. Great book, legitimately fun to read, well illustrated, excellent perspective on the history of the time, and helps Americans understand the situation in Iran beyond the basic xenophobia spewed by the media.

I'm reading Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's required for one of my courses, I think I'm going to enjoy the semester...

"The Pig that Wants to be Eaten" by Julian Baggini

I'm reading Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It's required for one of my courses, I think I'm going to enjoy the semester...

Sounds sweet. I'm taking "Fantastic Journeys and the Modern World" this semester for lit. The reading list is: The Marvelous Land of Oz (L. Frank Baum), The Metamorphosis (Kafka), RUR (Capek), War with the Newts (Capek), Street of Crocodiles (Schulz), Sanatorium Under the Sign of the Hour Glass (Schulz), Envy (Olesha) The Bedbug (Mayakovsky). I LOVE courses that rock!

Gregory Maguire - Son of a Witch

I'm actually finding it a lot more enjoyable than Wicked. I think the author relaxed into this one. It seems more real - less contrived, or rather the contrivances are a minor issue.

I'm am reading three books off and on at the same time haha.

Dubliners by James Joyce
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
AND... Ireland by Leon Uris

I'm am reading three books off and on at the same time haha.

Dubliners by James Joyce
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
AND... Ireland by Leon Uris
Catch-22 was pretty iffy to me. I guess I'm not a fan of Heller's style. Let me know how you like it.

Catch-22 was pretty iffy to me. I guess I'm not a fan of Heller's style. Let me know how you like it.

Thats funny because I'm a 100 pages into it and I'm kind of thinking the same thing. The book is undoubtedly witty and hilarious! ... but I much prefer the style of Joyce. The Joycean idealist type certainly fits my INFJ personality.

Now reading:

Troy: Fall of Kings - David Gemmel. - It's such an epic series :eek: I love Troy!!