Billy

Contents Under Pressure
Donor
Jul 18, 2009
CT
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
took this from another forum, thought it was interesting from an INFJ perspective.
1. You don't "get" most poetry.

2. You can easily make other kinds of evaluations and choices, but you never seem to know what you really want, and find it frustrating that people ask you this all the time.

3. The only kind of art you can really appreciate is surrealism, M.C. Escher, and a few classical or Renaissance pieces... for the sense of proportion.

4. You think most of Shakespeare's stuff is schmaltzy.

5. You have no moral problem (though at times might have an intellectual problem) with following the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

6. You don't understand what people are talking about when they want things to be "authentic and real." What, do they think I'm lying about something, or I'm an impostor?

7. People tell you (much to your confusion) that you're completely insensitive to "visceral reactions," and thus extremely offensive to many people, despite your best efforts to be polite/considerate.

8. You think people with strong personal convictions about right/wrong which have no basis in anything other than their own feelings are stupid, childish, backwards, uncooperative, and irrational.

9. You think "personal accountability" is for suckers and scapegoats.

10. Your sense of ethics is based almost entirely on how your actions make other people feel about you.

11. You've been compared to a politician more times than you care to remember.

12. You don't appreciate when people claim a "lack of personal/emotional investment" as an argument against the value of something. To you, this makes it better.

Well, what are yours? Anyone else here have lousy Fi?

This is a good list.

1. You don't "get" most poetry. Yea, my creativity is more visual. I don't know why I can't appreciate a fine poem or a witty analogy.

2. You can easily make other kinds of evaluations and choices, but you never seem to know what you really want, and find it frustrating that people ask you this all the time. For the most part yes, but it has taken many months of self evaluation to come to a definite point.

3. The only kind of art you can really appreciate is surrealism, M.C. Escher, and a few classical or Renaissance pieces... for the sense of proportion.

I enjoy those, but I am into more abstract expressionism such as Wassily Kandinsky.
4. You think most of Shakespeare's stuff is schmaltzy. Never been very good at those. Could be that english is my second language and I did not like being forced to learn it.

5. You have no moral problem (though at times might have an intellectual problem) with following the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

I do have a moral problem. :m080:

6. You don't understand what people are talking about when they want things to be "authentic and real." What, do they think I'm lying about something, or I'm an impostor?

No idea what that means.

7. People tell you (much to your confusion) that you're completely insensitive to "visceral reactions," and thus extremely offensive to many people, despite your best efforts to be polite/considerate.
Sometimes, usually from people who know me well butt hey also understand why I say such things. People I don't personally know can say that and I am usually not int he mood to defend or explain myself because I judge people and their relationship to me beforehand.
8. You think people with strong personal convictions about right/wrong which have no basis in anything other than their own feelings are stupid, childish, backwards, uncooperative, and irrational.

Sometimes

Depends:m075: on the issue. If it has to do with responsibility then no, it should be exercised at all times.

10. Your sense of ethics is based almost entirely on how your actions make other people feel about you.

Nope.

never.
12. You don't appreciate when people claim a "lack of personal/emotional investment" as an argument against the value of something. To you, this makes it better.

it's hard to say. People pay more attention tot he delivery of the message and how it was said/typed than the message itself.
Well, what are yours? Anyone else here have lousy Fi
?
Mine is work in progress. Not as bad as I thought after answering the questions.

I can't say that this applies to me, no... I DO get most if all poetry.

2. You can easily make other kinds of evaluations and choices, but you never seem to know what you really want, and find it frustrating that people ask you this all the time.

I can usually understand my surroundings enough to comprehend what's going on between the lines for others, and I DO actually know what I really want, most of the time.

I find it frustrating when others don't care to learn and understand why I make my decisions and choices.

I'm not a huge fan of visual art, but would rather find appreciation in writing or music. I am not visual at all.

yea, most of the wording is too old for me to understand... it's almost like a dialect now I guess...

I have a moral problem with the thought ofdoing as the Roman's do when I'm in Rome; however, I do use my intelect and empathy to make compromises so there is as much harmony as possible without compromising my personal values.

I do understand this, actually...

I believe that people have an individualistic interperatation of what is "real" to them... Usuaqlly though, people term "real and authentic" as being something that feels as though it's relatable, heartfelt and caring. This could simply be a tone, gesture or validating conversation. I feel I want to say more about this one, and will do so another time.

When I am stuck in my own space, even tho I'm not trying to hurt or offend anyone else around me, I find that sometimes I do because I am only living (experiencing) in my own thoughts and emotions...

Definitely not.

I believe there is a reason for thoughts, words and deeds. There is a story behind everyone's own unique personal value system and basis of judgments. The reasons don't have to matter, that is their business, and I may not agree with them unless I sense they are being hurt by them or are hurting others... but I will defend people's rights to make informed choices for themselves. I advocate growth in others and believe in validation.

Hell no.

My first duty is to myself and my kids. I put a lot of thought into being the best human being I can possibly be and I know I'm not perfect...

However, I am very much open to listening to others, if they feel uncomfortable with me for any reason.

Never heard anyone tell me this, no...

I cannot deeply appreciate anything that I have not invested a great deal of emotion into, no... To me, this sounds like taking things for granted, and not giving of myself enough. Impossible for me.

1. You don't "get" most poetry. Not only do I not get it, I don't like it.

2. You can easily make other kinds of evaluations and choices, but you never seem to know what you really want, and find it frustrating that people ask you this all the time. Wow, that couldn't be more the opposite of me.

3. The only kind of art you can really appreciate is surrealism, M.C. Escher, and a few classical or Renaissance pieces... for the sense of proportion. Wrong! Take a look at my Art in my profile, and you'll see this very clearly.

4. You think most of Shakespeare's stuff is schmaltzy. Yeah, somewhat, but he's the most artistic schmaltzy out there, which makes up for it.

5. You have no moral problem (though at times might have an intellectual problem) with following the saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I hate to admit that I'm a lot better at practicing this motto than my moral code would like.

6. You don't understand what people are talking about when they want things to be "authentic and real." What, do they think I'm lying about something, or I'm an impostor? OMG YES~! This is one of my biggest pet peeves!

7. People tell you (much to your confusion) that you're completely insensitive to "visceral reactions," and thus extremely offensive to many people, despite your best efforts to be polite/considerate. The story of my life!

8. You think people with strong personal convictions about right/wrong which have no basis in anything other than their own feelings are stupid, childish, backwards, uncooperative, and irrational. Pretty much. Ideals and morality are the basis of humanity, but if you can't explain and justify them, it's just petty emotionalism.

9. You think "personal accountability" is for suckers and scapegoats. No. This one I terribly disagree with.

10. Your sense of ethics is based almost entirely on how your actions make other people feel about you. Nope. My moral code is very set in stone, however I tailor my actions based on how they will make others feel in order to make them more comfortable.

11. You've been compared to a politician more times than you care to remember. That and a litigator.

12. You don't appreciate when people claim a "lack of personal/emotional investment" as an argument against the value of something. To you, this makes it better. No. Personal investment always makes something more significant.

I normally test a high Fi, but I would fail this test if it were the measure of Fi. Interesting. I reckon that this is more proof that my Fi is simply a tandem use of my Fe and Ti.

According to this, I have a 25% functional Fi.

Last edited:
took this from another forum, thought it was interesting from an INFJ perspective.

Some of the questions listed above are the reasons I had trouble truly claiming myself as an infj, even though it is 'Fi.' I definitely have a problem with Fi. How do you get better at it? It's kinda nice knowing if you 'truly' like something other than logically debating it for the rest of your life.

Parts of this list are just one big rib against literature students. *shakes fist*

Last edited:
I used to think my Fi was really strong, but I have learned that it isn't really. I don't dislike the function, I just find that more often then not I don't need it. I find Fe to be much more useful, friendly, and reliable.

Fi = IFP/ETJ (1/4) , EFP/ITJ (2/3)
Fe = EFJ/ITP (1/4) , IFJ/ETP (2/3)

So Fi is supposed to be about FP/TJ types, especially FP. I find the list not serious enough. It probably mixes up the effects of other functions from MBTI types with prim/sec Fi.

Some of the INFJ descriptions tags them as the "most poetic of all the types" which makes me wonder about its connection to Fi. I definitely *get* that poetry could be a direct expression of Fi. However, this site certainly devotes space to poetry more than any other MBTI related site I have encountered. I can see why poetry and literature could be related to Fi, but I'm not sure that's the default connection. Feeling whether introverted or not is not about emotion, but about subjective reasoning which in some cases includes, or is related to, emotion. Poetry does create an abstract representation of emotion, subjective experience and/or philosophy, but I think that can result from the distilling and abstracting nature of Ni that draws its materials from the subjective external world of Fe. I suspect Ni-Fe can have the ability to take the subjective context of a given culture or time, distill it to its core, and make an abstract representation of it in some form of artistic expression which could include poetry.

I have been told that Ni-Fe can appear like Fi when strongly introverted. I also think there is a pretty big range between people who draw conclusions based on however they emotionally feel about something, and people who use non-linear, subjective systems to draw conclusions. There is an enormous difference. One thing I have noticed with Fi dominants is that they are often extensively detailed in their descriptions of personal experience and the ideas they draw from it. It doesn't seem particularly impulsive to me - especially INFPs. Edit: It would be interesting to compare the poetry related expression between this site and the INFP sites.

Last edited:
- No. I borrow a collection of poetry from the library every now and then... which means about once in two years... So I'm not a great great fan of poetry but I certainly enjoy reading it sometimes. I even recite it aloud! Especially if it's good. I have also written my own poetry.

- Yeah.

- Nope. I don't appreciate all kinds of art, but I certainly can appreciate art that is not a surrealistic or classical painting.

- I suppose that "schmaltzy" is some negative attribute, so yeah. I haven't read Shakespeare's works and I don't think that I would enjoy them very much... I would probably be bored and think that they are too pompous, at least according to the film adaptations that I've seen. On film the plays can be beautiful because of the beautiful imagery but on paper... probably blah.

- Not sure what the difference between "moral" and "intellectual" is here but my answer is no, this does not describe me...

- No. Some people use "authentic" and "real" in stupid ways but I use those words, myself, when I feel that they can really describe what I mean.

- Huh, what are visceral reactions? No, people don't tell me that I'm offensive. Except... I've been criticised for being "impolite" because of my introvertedness but that's not the same thing, is it?

- Not really. It does irritate me when I disagree with someone or ask why they have such a strong conviction and all they can ground their argument with is "I feel this is right" but still, no.

- No but I prefer accountability to other people and God.

- Um... no.

- No, just once, and it was on a message board and this person had never even met me in person.

- Hm... I guess yeah but I'm not completely sure.

Last edited:
I gotta love Fi!

Being an INFP, I looked down the list ... I had a good laugh.

Hah! A lot of this is true for me (especially when I was a late teen). I give this thread 10, no wait! 20 stars!

That's an interesting observation about poetry. I've never been a huge fan but I do like some. However it clearly takes conscious effort from me to understand it. After reading a lot I get tired so it's definitely not my favorite process. Prose is entirely different matter.

I think I have lousy Fi, that must mean I am a lousy ISFP! :D

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Well I probably don't get all types of poetry, but I do like poetry. Some poems are beautiful - songs with silent music.

Yeah that's true.

Hmm nah I like all types of art.

lol kinda

I see nothing wrong with that. Makes sense to me.

Yeah I don't get that.

Sometimes.

Not really, I think it's kind of admirable. When it gets in the way of moving forward though, that's when I get annoyed. Beliefs are great as long as they are serving some practical function; if they're getting in the way, they need to go.

Nope.

Not at all.

Heh actually a couple of times I have, but I think they were only teasing.

Maybe in certain circumstances a greater personal investment would make for a better outcome, but in general, yeah, I see it as a hindrance.

This proves that my Fi is about average, not my greatest strength but not as weak as lets say my Si or Te....I been misinterpreting my Fi thinking it was tremendously high...

Answering in the affirmative, these sound like they are measuring the following:
1. Rejecting poetry implies low Fi first perhaps, but also low Fe assuming poetry is expression of feeling, which it is not always.

2. Low Fi foremost, but also low Fe. I think that question would be answered most strongly in the positive by an INTP or another type with Fe as its weakest function (Fi coming in last of eight).

3. This sounds absolutely like it measures strong T. Emotional expression in art is just as easily extroverted as it is introverted. Van Gogh is strongly Fi, but Monet is quite strongly Fe. It was his impression of the external world.

4. Maybe this is low Fi, but it is rather specific and a singular concrete example.

5. I suspect an ESTP would answer most strongly in the affirmative here.

6. Also sounds TP, and authenticity does have a correlation with INFJ descriptions.

7. The best attempts imply Fe, but the failure to succeed at it implies T.

8. Strong T

9. Strong TP

10. Strong Fe

11. This could be Fe, but also T if it is focused on getting the result without truly connecting to the subjective and emotive nature of those being interacted with.

12. Strong T

I think a strong correlation with this list implies being some sort of T type that has within its first four functions Fe instead of Fi. [ESTP, ISTP, ENTP, or INTP)

Last edited:
hmm...interesting topic. Bumping, I guess?
1. Poetry huh? Not a fan, not really read it much, but I can understand what it's all about.

2. Kiiind of. I'm learning to find this, actually.

3. No way. I can't understand them, actually; I mean, surely they have a meaning somewhere, but...I guess I'm not too smart and/or profound enough to read the meaning.

4. Never read his (actual) works.... Maybe I should.

5. Kind of. Sometimes it's best to lay low..

6. 'Authentic doesn't have to mean different and avantgarde' is probably one of my lessons learned. As long as you actually understand what you're believing, and understanding ideas you're NOT believing, instead of believing out of unknowing both sides, then you're fine.

7. *face. Palm* Not exactly 'insensitive', but can be very very very rude at times.

8. As much as I want to believe otherwise, yes. I kinda feel that it's mostly a projection of my hatred against my tendencies to do so.

9. WHAT?

10. no, sir. No. Every actions has its toll for ourselves and for others.

11. Never *lol* it seems cool tho. XD

12. I disagree, albeit I can see the other point of view. Impersonal = more efficiency, without emotional burden holding you out.