Protesters at funerals :( | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Protesters at funerals :(

I think the obvious message here is that if you're a gay Christian, you have to abandon Christianity.

What amazes me is that groups like this attract any followers at all, especially when they try to brand it as Christianity. It is a peculiar type of madness I think.

What amazes me is that groups like this attract any followers at all, especially when they try to brand it as Christianity. It is a peculiar type of madness I think.

People will do anything to stay in the circle of normal.

People will do anything to stay in the circle of normal.

Yes, and this speaks to an all-too-common phenomenon these days....church congregations that brand their entire philosphy as "Bible" when, in fact, it is not, not really. It all happened so slowly, but it is very much here with us. They'll quote the Bible left and right but have little grasp of the entire, overall message. It is a religion "of the book," and too often the very spirit of the book's message is overlooked. It is a cartoon, a caricature. Best to watch out.

Last edited:
Reactions: the
They protest funerals quite often. Terribly psychotic people they are... well many of them have just been brainwashed by the top few people who are truly insanely evil.
+1

I need to believe that there is some kind of retribution for cruelty. Even thought I think that unlikely, so people like this can be punished.

One of the many reasons I'm agnostic. No god I could fathom would allow this.

The Christian God also doesn't allow this, however he doesn't prevent it from happening. The reason being is because he has given us the power of choice, one of the best gifts that anyone could give to humanity, we are responsible for our actions. However we decided to turn our backs on him, through Adam and Eve's fall.

For him to prevent things like this would mean to take away choice (and who wants to live as a puppet?) In many ways, their actions is a solid reminder of sins influence on the world. The only way to take down groups like this is through Spiritual warfare. This is beyond emotional or psychical warfare and beyond the government's power. It is an extremely complicated and intense subject.

God does punish the wicked, psychical proof of this is death. Even though the price for our actions is death, spiritually It is a different matter. God is not only a stern god, but he is also loving. That's why he sent down Christ to die for our sins and take the price, through him we can truly know God. True Christianity is not a religion, it is a realtionship with God. The West Boro Baptist church fail to preach this message.

Thats why I ask for people not to compare us with them. One of reasons why I stand up and speak of my beliefs is because I love humanity and care for the well being of my fellow human, I don't do it to earn brownie points or because god commanded me to, its because I want to, regardless of any discrimination that may be cast towards me and other Christians. Anger towards groups such as the West Boro Baptist church is a completely normal reaction, I would be deeply concerned if their wasn't any anger toward their actions, I'm angry with them! Imagine how angry God must be with them! (I couldn't imagine). :m169:

I do realize that you as well as many other people here on the forums are agnostic.
I am trying my hardest to explain this in a way that doesn't look like that I have gone more insane that Albert Einstein, but I hope that you can see from what I have written that my views are very different to the members of the West Boro Baptist Church and that hopefully its helped shed some light on the subject.

Here is the ultimate pwnage of the West Boro Baptist Church, I wish I was there to take part;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giMbzuvmqxE&feature=related"]YouTube - San Diego Comic Con 2010: Vs Westboro Baptist Church[/ame]

This is so outrageous that it would almost be comical if it weren't so dearly sad. I don't know what else to do or say but shake my head. Such differences..

I thought WBC just hated America in general. - Just like Islam!

I have actually driven by their home since I live in the general vicinity.
If I was to hazard my opinion, I would say they are driven by the almighty dollar than anything else. Many of the Fred Phelps grown childrean are lawyers and they make money suing people for attempting to squash their "freedom of speech". They play the game and act outrageous because it makes people angry, they get a reaction, and then they find ways to sue and recover legal fees when their right to free speech is upheld--it seems to be the way they support themselves. The truly disgusting thing is that they have their small children standing on the street corners holding the signs with them--6, 7, 8 yr olds.

I think the obvious message here is that if you're a gay Christian, you have to abandon Christianity.

You could just stop sinning instead.

I'm Pansexual and Christian. The best thing for anyone that is Homosexual or for anyone that is anything but straight is to pray to God for guidance and read the bible. The worst thing to is to turn your back on issues, they manifest and become cancerous in nature. Rise above them by acknowledging them.

I'm Pansexual and Christian. The best thing for anyone that is Homosexual or for anyone that is anything but straight is to pray to God for guidance and read the bible. The worst thing to is to turn your back on issues, they manifest and become cancerous in nature. Rise above them by acknowledging them.

That still implies that anything but heterosexuality is an issue, which it isn't.

That still implies that anything but heterosexuality is an issue, which it isn't.

Its only an issue biblically. Groups such as the West Boro Baptist church shouldn't force their views and beliefs onto others that are not Christian. Christianity does not equal politics. It is up to the individual if they want to follow Christianity or not, but it is wrong for Christians to belittle and discriminate those that don't. I personally stand against those that use the bible to hurt and to manipulate others.

Luke 6:27-36
"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Compare this scripture to the practices of the West Boro Baptist Church. There is more standing against them in scripture, than with them.

"Members of the Westboro Baptist Church are planning to disrupt Edwards' funeral Saturday, saying the wife of former Senator John Edwards is "going to hell" because she admitted to doubting her faith when her oldest son died in 1996."

[Christian rant by a Christian]

Now THAT is absolutely ridiculous. It's disgusting when the WBC protested soldiers' funerals and gay pride parades. But this act? This contradicts Christian scripture. We all doubt, which is why we're human and not God. Doubting is not anti-Christian. In fact, pushing through a doubting season can be a fantastic learning experience that can make you more grounded and faithful in the future.

Not only are the WBC an abomination within themselves, they're not even doctrinally sound. Faith is both stubborn and fragile. And if an apostle of Jesus doubted (Thomas) surely we can't hold ourselves on any type of moral faith high ground. It's okay to doubt; you just don't want to stay there for too long.

The WBC sickens me. They physically make me ill because of the damage they do in the name of their god. I don't know what they worship, but it sure isn't Jesus. They can call their religion anything they want, but they aren't Christ-followers.

/rant.

Reactions: Diana
Ahhh, I see our "friends" at Westboro are making waves at other funerals. This group visited S.E. Oklahoma recently and protested a childs funeral, where their tires were flattened. They then decided to protest another teens funeral in Owasso,Ok (in protest the forementioned incident...makes sense doesnt it?) but the city has to assign permits.

Some of the interesting facts are that this group DOES NOT HAVE membership into the Baptist convention, making people think they are of that sect, and even more misguiding people who do not know this assume that all Christians take this stance, the book of Romans would clear this up.

From what I see, WBC lives and breathes through legalism, and anyone who has taken the time to develop faith knows that legalism is not faith, its people making decisions based on their opinions and biases. Faith isnt something that I or anyone else walking the earth can give. When I see ads of this nature, is this showing love, is it showing compassion, or is it judging others.

[Christian rant by a Christian]

Now THAT is absolutely ridiculous. It's disgusting when the WBC protested soldiers' funerals and gay pride parades. But this act? This contradicts Christian scripture. We all doubt, which is why we're human and not God. Doubting is not anti-Christian. In fact, pushing through a doubting season can be a fantastic learning experience that can make you more grounded and faithful in the future.

Not only are the WBC an abomination within themselves, they're not even doctrinally sound. Faith is both stubborn and fragile. And if an apostle of Jesus doubted (Thomas) surely we can't hold ourselves on any type of moral faith high ground. It's okay to doubt; you just don't want to stay there for too long.

The WBC sickens me. They physically make me ill because of the damage they do in the name of their god. I don't know what they worship, but it sure isn't Jesus. They can call their religion anything they want, but they aren't Christ-followers.

/rant.

Continues the rant...

The thing that amazes me is that there is more scripture in the bible that speaks against their actions than for it.

They are so fixated on hate, its an obsession.

1 John 4:8 - "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

I have seen Christian ministers quote scripture from the bible such as John 3:16 and John 3:17 only to have them quote another segment of scripture, such as in one interview, John 3:18. Which they misinterpreted as message of Gods hate, but in reality, it goes hand in hand with John 3:16 - 17.

Shirley Phelps just about contradicts everything that is in the bible and in the gospel, down to the point it occurs in every sentence. She has no idea about what she is talking about, to put it bluntly it resembles diarrhea. Watch an interview of her and research up every piece of scripture she quotes. You will be disturbingly surprised.

Through their actions they are condemning the world, even though it says in scripture that God sent down Jesus to save the world. It is foolish for any individual to condemn another individual, for we all come from the same flesh, Adam and Eve.

Luke 6:37 - "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

I rest my case... :m125:

If it makes anyone feel better, the hell the rant and rave about is 99% likely the hell they themselves will be attending. Saying that there isn't some life changing event in the WB for the better.

If it makes anyone feel better, the hell the rant and rave about is 99% likely the hell they themselves will be attending. Saying that there isn't some life changing event in the WB for the better.

i think these people are already living in their own personal hell

what a massive waste of energy

they could love, but they choose hate

and so self-righteous!

what a bitter life they must lead

are we supposed to give grace to them as well?

or do you believe that grace is none of our business,
and we should react according to how we feel

if it is not acceptable to engage with them violently,
what other action do we have?

if we ignored them, would they be so zealous?
they would probably not go away

we could surround them, close in slowly and give them all hugs...

or we just let them be,
laugh at the madness

how does someone get to that awful place?

they must be very afraid, dreadfully suppressed humans

it could be any of us in their shoes
should we be happy to think that they might go to hell?

Reactions: Blind Bandit
should we be happy to think that they might go to hell?
No, true happiness is not the stuff of Hell....ours, theirs, now or in the next life.

I thought it was beautiful that Ms. Edwards seemed to hold hope of being reunited with her son on the other side. I hope her deepest hopes and longings have been fulfilled in abundance.