Protesters at funerals :( | INFJ Forum

Protesters at funerals :(

Diana

Donor
Oct 25, 2010
MBTI
Enneagram
Just saw on Cnn this morning that Westboro baptist church protesters were at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral. They had picket signs that said things like "You are going to hell."
WTF?
I'm so furious, upset and disgusted by this. I've heard they are working on a law to get rid of this sort of thing but really. What kind of person goes to someone's funeral with a picket sign?
This is one of the most heartless and cruel things I've ever heard of.

There are always those who will wrap their foolishness in a mantle of religion. Too bad they can't be ignored...maybe they would go away. Either way, they (and their methods) are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, even pathetic.

And yes, I am both spiritual and religious. If one has something to say do so in a manner that is fully respectful of others.

If you believe that the soul of the deceased is truly in Hell, then how can you believe they or their loved ones are due any respect? (it is kind of an inherent flaw of the Apostle's Creed)

I beg of people to not compare the members West Boro Baptist church to Christians that love and serve God.

Christianity to them is a mere catalyst for what is really underneath; hate, anger and fear.
They (or anyone else for that matter) don't have right to condemn another individual, only God has that right.
They call themselves Calvinist and yet they fail to follow the teachings of Christ and the example of Paul, they preach a message of hate towards a world that is already confused and struggling as it is. Their hate is misguided. They pick and choose their scripture to use as a weapon, they twist their way out of the truth that is written in the bible by conflicting it with a misinterpretation of the gospel.

I have been following their activity and interviews. I fail to see any words of hope, love or care towards anyone else in their actions, as Jesus did. You can't ignore groups like this as much as you try, but you can't go up to them and try to take them down out of anger. Their fuel is hatred. Its like fighting fire with fire. The only way to take down groups like this is to use what they believe them, the bible. The truth sets people free, the bible is that truth. The bible can be used in many ways, it can be used as a weapon, or it can be used as a gift of hope.

What they do is indeed heartless, but God can see through their actions. He knows what they are doing and what is in their hearts.

For those that aren't Christian by faith, you can rise above them through silence and turning your back on them. It is the best thing to do If you don't read or understand the teachings of the bible. Actions speak far more than words. Part of the reason why they do what they do is because they are attention seekers, think of them as internet trolls. The last thing you want to do is to tango with them (or groups/cults like them) if you have no or little knowledge, they will have you wrapped around their fingers and on the ropes in seconds.
You have every right to be angry with them, but if you display that anger it will only fuel them, because that's the exact reaction that they are looking for. It gives them a stronger reason to carry on what they are doing.

I don't agree [MENTION=1815]Matariki[/MENTION] The government can make laws prohibiting their actions. In order for that to happen there has to be some attention drawn to the situation. Admins on a forum make rules which cause trolls who violate those rules to be banned. By that model our government should protect the people from this outrageous disrespect. It should be illegal to protest at a funeral.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
I don't agree @Matariki The government can make laws prohibiting their actions. In order for that to happen there has to be some attention drawn to the situation. Admins on a forum make rules which cause trolls who violate those rules to be banned. By that model our government should protect the people from this outrageous disrespect. It should be illegal to protest at a funeral.

x2.
I find it unconscionable any group or person would protest at a funeral.
Even if the deceased where the most despicable of people, the family still deserves to be treated respectfully.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or o

I don't agree [MENTION=1815]Matariki[/MENTION] ................. Admins on a forum make rules which cause trolls who violate those rules to be banned. By that model our government should protect the people from this outrageous disrespect...........

um, I am going to have to take "the first" on this one.

I don't agree Matakari. The government can make laws prohibiting their actions. In order for that to happen there has to be some attention drawn to the situation. Admins on a forum make rules which cause trolls who violate those rules to be banned. By that model our government should protect the people from this outrageous disrespect. It should be illegal to protest at a funeral.

Of course it should be illegal, In a perfect world it would be. Picketing at other peoples funerals is a disgusting thing to do.

However, there is only so much you can do. Have you seen what happens when people try to take them on?
I agree that the law needs to make it illegal, but America is also a free country. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion and say regardless of how insensitive it may be. The government has made restrictions towards groups such as the West Boro Baptist church. The law can be put in place, but that doesn't mean that people are going to listen and abide to it. Your example of forums makes sense, but forums are usually considerably small compared to states and countries. It is easier to have restrictions and to ban people online, but its allot harder to apply that concept to the real world.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaplinsky_v._New_Hampshire

There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality

I will say there have been quite a few other cases defining the 1st since then so I'm not sure of where all the lines fall..

When I think of Westboro, I do think of real live trolls. Good analogy!

They protest funerals quite often. Terribly psychotic people they are... well many of them have just been brainwashed by the top few people who are truly insanely evil.

Westboro Baptist Church... makes me angry.

This is one of the most heartless and cruel things I've ever heard of.
Possibly as heartless and cruel as if the situation was reversed (has been done/will be done)

If my point wasn't clear: With the charge of strong religious belief, it's not that difficult to conceive that Elizabeth Edwards would protest if the roles were reversed.

But this is not to say that their behavior is acceptable :)

-an INTP perspective

Last edited:
What are they protesting, exactly?

Homosexuality

Most recently it was Elizabeth Edwards funeral, but their always protesting soldiers funerals and other stuff.

They believe that anyone who is in any way involved in homosexuality or anything that is at all anti-god in the slightest is going to hell. They think they are saving people. Proselytizing.

Homosexuality

At a funeral?

Somebody needs to fire their PR team.

That's miserable and desperate, to say the least.

"Members of the Westboro Baptist Church are planning to disrupt Edwards' funeral Saturday, saying the wife of former Senator John Edwards is "going to hell" because she admitted to doubting her faith when her oldest son died in 1996."

I need to believe that there is some kind of retribution for cruelty. Even thought I think that unlikely, so people like this can be punished.

One of the many reasons I'm agnostic. No god I could fathom would allow this.