Jar of Fears | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Jar of Fears

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Wyote - a pyromaniac fearing fires. Lies!!!

One should always maintain a little fear of the things they love

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I don't actively fear heights, but I get vertigo if I'm unrestrained in some way.
Neither do I. When I'm in cable car, a scenic elevator, or even climbing mountains, I'm perfectly fine but on a hanging bridge with even just a little distance from the ground, my knees buckle as in they physically uncontrollably weaken, and then I ugly cry (and freeze).

Maybe I'm afraid of hanging bridges. :thonking:

Neither do I. When I'm in cable car, a scenic elevator, or even climbing mountains, I'm perfectly fine but on a hanging bridge with even just a little distance from the ground, my knees buckle as in they physically uncontrollably weaken, and then I ugly cry (and freeze).

Maybe I'm afraid of hanging bridges. :thonking:

for me; it is ladders.

View attachment 82586

I don't actively fear heights, but I get vertigo if I'm unrestrained in some way. I like being in water, but I had my eardrum ruptured three times and now I'm paranoid about anything getting into my ear.
You INTJs and your perfectly filled jars are making me quiver. lmao.

I'm similar to you, S. I can be up high, as long as I feel someone's touch grounding me, or am wrapped around in some way. I've ridden in helicopters, tiny aircraft, hot air balloons, been on top of tall buildings, climbed and hiked in the Andes mountains, etc. None of those things terrify me. However, standing on the edge of a slippery path inside of a cave that went to a depth that my eyes couldn't even discern, was so frightening that I had to stop and cling to the rockface taking deep breaths while trembling. Everyone that passed me was like, "Don't worry, it's only another mile down.", as if that would be a comfort. I've also been on a bridge with large openings, while it swayed above a canyon; I ended up running the entire distance saying, "Nope! Nope! Nope!". haha. :sweatsmile:

Thank you for sharing some of your fears with me, S.

Last edited:
Oh gosh... am I Lucy in this scenario? :sweatsmile:

Don't worry, this was just another way to get to know everyone. I don't intend on expecting compensation like Lucy, or utilizing anyone's 'scary juice'* admissions against them. I think fears tell a lot about someone, and it was my hope more so to see everyone a little clearer. I apologize if this thread has brought up any deeply repressed things, as it wasn't my intention.

I hope you feel lighter today, Tony. If not, I would offer you an apology and a hug for bringing anything to the surface that you've worked so hard to forget. I sincerely apologize, if so.

*Coined by @Deleted member 16771

I concur.

Add to this:
-medical bills
-bad health
-love

@Wyote - a pyromaniac fearing fires. Lies!!!

Love.. yeah.. that one is scary for me as well. ((hug)). Medical bills in America... life-ruining, in many cases I understand why so many people would rather just die of their illness than ever have to go through recovery just to be indebted to a system plus interest. I abhor debt, but I am even more so critical of a system which works against citizens. I understand your fear there.

Thank you for your response, Min.

Also, why are you so adorable?
:m033:

Last edited:

Don't worry, this was just another way to get to know everyone. I don't intend on expecting compensation like Lucy, or utilizing anyone's 'scary juice'* admissions against them. I think fears tell a lot about someone, and it was my hope more so to see everyone a little clearer. I apologize if this thread has brought up any deeply repressed things, as it wasn't my intention.

I hope you feel lighter today, Tony. If not, I would offer you an apology and a hug for bringing anything to the surface that you've worked so hard to forget. I sincerely apologize, if so.
Thanks, Lore. And this did not bring up any deeply repressed things. I just got into a bit of a funk when I saw the many posts where abandonment was identified as quite a fear and reflected on why not for me.

And for what it's worth, I am an advocate of all things repressed being revealed. I have not ever deliberately worked to forget anything. I'd rather experience access of those things but in my experience, such occurrences have been quite rare as well as partial.

I am not going to try to figure out the drawing utility before finally posting. A couple assumptions. Generally, the topics are not asking about fear of the thing taking place, but fear of experiencing it (unless the former seems apparent to me). Also, some, such as snakes, can be life-threatening (anaconda in the wild), but I will assume not so unless a life-threatening aspect seems apparent.

Small spaces – 40
I can be a bit claustrophobic. Feeling confined.

Heights – 15
I was going to go lower as seemed only fearful with vertigo effect, but that at least feels like it can be life-threatening. Then, I recalled I once drove over the bridge that goes from Windsor Locks, Canada into Detroit. It is over a lot of water. That was scary.

I have climbed mountains but would not stand at the edge of a cliff. By the way, I knew of some gymnasts who did handstands on cliffs. (Crazy!)

Spiders – 5
They weird me out, but not like snakes. I have heard that most people are especially fearful of one or the other.

Darkness - 5

Public Speaking - 5

Clowns - 0

Snakes – 30
Even if it wasn’t surprising. If I came upon (say) a 15 foot fat snake and I knew it was of no danger - yeah, pretty scary.

Losing a loved one – 60
Losing my dog Sandy…I know it’s coming (she is 13) and I don’t want to think about it.

Water (drowning, open water) – 20

Fire - 20

Death – 0
But the transition (dying)? There are some ways to die I don’t want to think about.

Abuser - 20

Growing Older - 10

Other people - 0

Germs - 0

Going insane – 25
If I allow for getting pretty loopy and not full-blown insanity.

Abandonment – 5
I am kind of used to it. As I said, much more discouragement, depression.

Being caught in a shooting – 0
I am assuming fear of thinking of the occurrence and not actually experiencing it.

Anesthesia - 0

Dying alone – 10
A little bit. Not much.

The unknown –
Interesting. I really don’t know.

Flying - 10

Holes - 0

Swarming insects - 0
I am assuming fear of thinking of the occurrence and not actually experiencing it.

Pregnancy - NA

Failure - 5

Becoming paralyzed – 0

Others finding out your secrets – 50
It used to be much higher.

Another fear not listed. Sexual performance. My bio well explains. I began to have this fear at ~12-13. It escalated and things were easily shaky up until the nasty trauma at 19. Then? Exponential increase.

There is a ton of fear of women and it mostly posited in the above space, unfortunately.

She's secretly Scarecrow. :O everyone run! :O

Reactions: Anomaly and John K
I am not going to try to figure out the drawing utility before finally posting. A couple assumptions. Generally, the topics are not asking about fear of the thing taking place, but fear of experiencing it (unless the former seems apparent to me). Also, some, such as snakes, can be life-threatening (anaconda in the wild), but I will assume not so unless a life-threatening aspect seems apparent.

Small spaces – 40
I can be a bit claustrophobic. Feeling confined.

Heights – 15
I was going to go lower as seemed only fearful with vertigo effect, but that at least feels like it can be life-threatening. Then, I recalled I once drove over the bridge that goes from Windsor Locks, Canada into Detroit. It is over a lot of water. That was scary.

I have climbed mountains but would not stand at the edge of a cliff. By the way, I knew of some gymnasts who did handstands on cliffs. (Crazy!)

Spiders – 5
They weird me out, but not like snakes. I have heard that most people are especially fearful of one or the other.

Darkness - 5

Public Speaking - 5

Clowns - 0

Snakes – 30
Even if it wasn’t surprising. If I came upon (say) a 15 foot fat snake and I knew it was of no danger - yeah, pretty scary.

Losing a loved one – 60
Losing my dog Sandy…I know it’s coming (she is 13) and I don’t want to think about it.

Water (drowning, open water) – 20

Fire - 20

Death – 0
But the transition (dying)? There are some ways to die I don’t want to think about.

Abuser - 20

Growing Older - 10

Other people - 0

Germs - 0

Going insane – 25
If I allow for getting pretty loopy and not full-blown insanity.

Abandonment – 5
I am kind of used to it. As I said, much more discouragement, depression.

Being caught in a shooting – 0

Anesthesia - 0

Dying alone – 10
A little bit. Not much.

The unknown –
Interesting. I really don’t know.

Flying - 10

Holes - 0

Swarming insects - 0

Pregnancy - NA

Failure - 5

Becoming paralyzed – 0

Others finding out your secrets – 50
It used to be much higher.

Another fear not listed. Sexual performance. My bio well explains. I began to have this fear at ~12-13. It escalated and things were easily shaky up until the nasty trauma at 19. Then? Exponential increase.

There is a ton of fear of women and it mostly posited in the above space, unfortunately.
I'm sorry the application wasn't working out for you, but thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly, Tony.

As for these being experiential or not, I think many of our fears are not based on experience alone, but in our perceptions of what that experience might be like. So, I think whether it is wrapped up in just thinking about that particular 'thing' or actually coming face to face with it, it isn't really important, it's what you perceive to be the case that I find interesting.

Regarding your fears, thank you for being open to sharing them.
I lost my dog last year, and it was extremely difficult. She was 16 years old. It is bittersweet that we form such strong bonds with our pets to have them leave us so soon in life. Though, it's a comfort to know that we provide them a safe space with an abundance of love while they were with us. I'm sure Sandy has enjoyed life with you. I hope you are given more precious moments with her, and when it is her time that she goes in peace. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.