James Cameron's AVATAR | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

High Anxieties The Mathematics of Chaos

Hello all,
this is my first post here. I've seen the Avatar film with my family and my son said it was "awesome". In my humble view its primarily it's about the environment and how we live in it.

Recently I saw a BBC documentary called "High Anxieties The Mathematics of Chaos" which is about mathematics and climate change. It's probably the most distubring thing I've ever seen, as an older scientist in the film called James Lovelock (who has been studying the environment for decades - he is the man who put forward the Gaia theory) suggested that it maybe that the climate change may already have begun and maybe irreversible.

I think it would be beneficial for as many people as possible get to see the film, it's on youtube (not uploaded by me). Since watching it I've read up on some things and of course it's a complex area. From what I have seen though I think the central point of the film is probably correct, particularly the explanation of the climate models inaccuracies. I've emailed the creator whose reply was friendly, but quite gloomy about the situation. He feels the recent climate conference in copenhagen was a total failure and that "we the people" are on our own.

I just hope that Lovelock is wrong in his conclusions. Sorry if that's a bit heavy going. Best Wishes to all.

James

Last edited:
Indeed, because if you try to rationalize it you wonder how come arrows were able to penetrate v-tol windows, were they made of sugar? why are we never given a good elaboration on the entire premise of the movie (Unobtainium, the rare mineral)
Why does it sell for 20 million a kilo? Because it's pretty?

How come the base itself doesn't have any defence systems, why don't they have missiles and rockets (instead they have these huge ineffective piles of dogshit which they push off their aerocrafts)

And why on earth does the human race have such sucky weaponry 150 years from now?

That's what happens when the idiotic plot, outlines that tribes of blue smurfs with crossbows and animals at their side can defeat futuristic warfare.

A much better ending would have been that the smurfs were whiped out of existence and human cruelty prevailed once again

My God???? Are you joking or didn't you understand anything from the underlying meaning??

put on your INFP glasses will you

:caked:just joking :w:

My God???? Are you joking or didn't you understand anything from the underlying meaning??

put on your INFP glasses will you

:caked:just joking :w:

You lost me, elaborate

I didn't pay much attention to the advertisement and had no opinion beforehand, but went to the 3-D version for my birthday on Sunday. It was one of the best movies I've seen. The special effects are groundbreaking, the story-line moving and relevant, and the individual characters were interesting. It is probably the most visually stunning movie I've seen.

I don't know what all the fuss is about....It's basically the story of Pocahontas...with FxS thrown in...i nearly fell asleep...but then I'm not easily impressed...the hype will help it make money, not that it's a brilliant film..sorry!

I'm annoyed that he calls himself an environmentalist and this movie is supposed to be rife with all sorts of political connotations about the exploitation of natural resources and the psychopathic things people do to attain those resources... Then there's all kindsa McDonalds ads for this movie everywhere.... being trumpted around by those same industrial evils..

Huh?

I guess saying one thing and doing another thing is no big deal when one wants to be entertained.. But I'm a crotchety nit-picky cynic who takes life wayyy too seriously.

I don't plan on seeing it no matter how awesome people keep telling me it is.

Good point!

My son and daughter saw it and both were very impressed and entertained. They will see it again and they want to see it on IMAX too. Has anyone here seen it that way?

Ok, I just got back from seeing Avatar with my two sons and want to give my two cents worth also. First off I have to say I'm a little surprised at all the INFJ's that are downplaying it. Morgain is right, it is a feelers movie. It has a plot that is fairly simple, with an underlying message about man and how we treat our planet. Yes, it has elements of Dances with Wolves, Pochahantos, Mutiny on the Bounty, and several other "Gone Native" type movies. All great movies (those others) by the way. I don't feel the plot detracts from the movie in any way.

I saw it in 3-D and like everyone has said, it is both breathtaking and groundbreaking. I've seen the 3-D before, but this is the perfect venue for it. I don't think the acting is all that bad. Ok, it did't have Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, but again it didn't distract. I for one was totally into this world and Jake Scully's journey. There's a lot going on here and it was all interesting to me. It just gives you that feeling that you want to be there. Great flick--9 out of 10!

Oh yeah, I now want an Avatar and a blue warrior princess for my own. And one of those bad-ass red Dragons to fly!!

ava_01_2910_63427a.jpg

Oh yeah, and maybe my favorite part was near the end when Na'Vi rescues Jakes real body. She loves him even in that (alien) form. This is the true connection! She accepts him as he is. It's all about the connection they have. That's the crux of the movie for me.

Last edited:
I have to admit, the romance was my favorite part of the movie.

Now that I have had time to let the Wow factor of the CGI ware off, I can say that the plot was not dreadful...just unoriginal. The Iraq war references actually made me uncomfortable, with the "Shock and Awe" and the unobtainium's clear parallel to oil. It's clear that Cameron wanted to make a statement about the Iraq war, and pretty much every American war and act of colonialism.

I wish they would have done a bit more explaination, but some of the mystery is good, and it kept if from being a science fiction movie.

Last edited:
It just keeps going: $68.3 million in the third weekend, bringing the worldwide total past $1 billion in record time, a mere 17 days. Interestingly, the international box office in the case of Avatar is much larger than the domestic one, with current totals of around $670 million and $350 million respectively. (For comparison, The Dark Knight's $1.1 billion total was more than half domestic.) The weather might still be affecting this.

It just keeps going: $68.3 million in the third weekend, bringing the worldwide total past $1 billion in record time, a mere 17 days. Interestingly, the international box office in the case of Avatar is much larger than the domestic one, with current totals of around $670 million and $350 million respectively. (For comparison, The Dark Knight's $1.1 billion total was more than half domestic.) The weather might still be affecting this.

Thanks for continually keeping us/me updated. :hug: <3

I really thought the updates would be pointless by now, but the run remains exceptional. Now I'll just have to keep checking as it approaches that long-standing record total. :D

I'll wait for to come out on video.

I'm still not sure about it. My mom saw it and said it was good. But I just can't seem to get into it.

its looks like the matrix crossed with a war movie.

Last edited:
I just watched it and was totally floored. I would love to discuss the details but am too afraid to spoil it for the rest. Predictable plot yes but so many layers.

I just watched it and was totally floored. I would love to discuss the details but am too afraid to spoil it for the rest. Predictable plot yes but so many layers.

We have spoiler tags. :)

[noparse]
TEXT HERE
[/noparse]

TEXT HERE