James Cameron's AVATAR | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

The Friday total was $27 million. That was less than The Return of the King and I Am Legend, but still... not too shabby. It's on track for a very good December opening, perhaps more than $100 million (though that seems unlikely at this point).

Word of mouth can do some work here, too. Remember The Sixth Sense? It earned more on the Sunday of its opening weekend than it did on the Friday, thanks to a lot of buzz spread by those who had seen it.

The Last Mohican-

I think this movie is going to do really well. The target audience will go see it more than once. I know of adults my age, 40's, that want to see it. Though this age group will most likely see it once in the thearter.Heck, my mother wants to see it and she is 71. I was watching "The making of Avatar" on HBO. She got interested.

I think that this movie will do well over tiime. I also saw a video game that they are selling about the movie. I think that this will also sell well.

I think one of the risks for this movie is pirating. People who go in and tape it.
This is a disaster waiting to happen in the movie iindustry. It is one of the reasons that big movies like this could be in danger. They do need to make back the money.

I think one of the risks for this movie is pirating. People who go in and tape it.
This is a disaster waiting to happen in the movie iindustry. It is one of the reasons that big movies like this could be in danger. They do need to make back the money.

That is a big problem, but I think it will be much less of an issue for this movie than for, say, Revenge of the Sith. This movie is in 3-D. A camcorder doesn't recreate that. Some of the showings are in 2-D, but 3-D is what has been getting most of the attention for it.

I just saw the movie.
The CGI alone would be worth the time and the ticket price for true geeks. I remember the hype over the flawless rendering of metal parts in Transformers. Avatar features the equivalent with organic materials. The military vehicles look real and are cleverly designed, but far more impressive is the creation of Pandora's environment.
Cameron walked a fine line between science and religion with the tree-based intelligence of the Na'vi. People will probably see it through their preferred spiritual (or materialistic) lenses. Smart move there.

The story was straightfoward, without a lot of moral deliberation necessary, but the protagonist's situation was plenty difficult anyway: his conscience couldn't be reconciled with the seemingly inevitable course of events, and throughout most of the film, he had less influence than anyone else seemed to assume.
The dialogue was decent: few notably good lines, but none really bad, either. It did its job by moving the story forward, without stealing the show from anything else. Overall, the movie was a good vehicle for the CGI, just good enough to still be engaging without it. And in my opinion, that was for the better. If you go to see this movie, don't even buy popcorn, because you'd miss too much. The idea is to forget that you're in a theater wearing 3-D glasses, and to forget that you're watching computer-generated characters playing out a story in a completely imaginary landscape. What makes this movie so good is that it makes doing that fairly easy.
Seriously, much of the climax occurs among large rock formations that hover in mid-air, and little time is wasted wondering how that is possible.

Inside joke alert: one of the previews playing before Avatar was of Piranha 3-D. I wonder whose idea that was?

The estimated domestic weekend total is $73 million, with $232 million worldwide. Presumably the domestic box office was significantly suppressed by the fact that many easterners were snowed in. Considering that, and the consistently good buzz, I'm predicting that Avatar will still make at least $45 million in its second weekend.

I think I'll definitely go see this before the year is up.

Thanks for the update TLM. I can't wait to get to see this. :)

I just got back from it.

The movie felt like Jurassic Park meets Dancing with Wolves.

Yes, because the majority want to see this movie from a shabby tape recorder on their pc screen

I just got back from it.

The movie felt like Jurassic Park meets Dancing with Wolves.

Dancing with wolves? That film was a borefest and I hate Kevin Costner, he is simply boring.

Gonna see avatar today though, will be great me thinks

The estimated domestic weekend total is $73 million, with $232 million worldwide. Presumably the domestic box office was significantly suppressed by the fact that many easterners were snowed in. Considering that, and the consistently good buzz, I'm predicting that Avatar will still make at least $45 million in its second weekend.

Avatar is up against little competition for Christmas weekend other than Sherlock Holmes, My bet is that Avatar wins the weekend and has a bigger gross than when it opened. The buzz and word of mouth on this movie is massive. People are walking out of the theater going "wow..." then calling their friends saying "dude, you gotta see this movie."

Why would you watch it in 2d?

At least try watching it in 3d then take the glasses off if you don't like it

i wanna watch this :) :m015:but i won't go on the opening day because ther'd be lots of people.. hihihihi :m155:

Avatar is up against little competition for Christmas weekend other than Sherlock Holmes, My bet is that Avatar wins the weekend and has a bigger gross than when it opened. The buzz and word of mouth on this movie is massive. People are walking out of the theater going "wow..." then calling their friends saying "dude, you gotta see this movie."

That hardly ever happens, and when it does, it's usually because the movie is being shown on more screens in one of those "slow roll-out" plans. I hope you're right, but it's a long shot.

Why would you watch it in 2d?

At least try watching it in 3d then take the glasses off if you don't like it
3-D is blurry without the glasses.

That hardly ever happens, and when it does, it's usually because the movie is being shown on more screens in one of those "slow roll-out" plans. I hope you're right, but it's a long shot.

3-D is blurry without the glasses.

Hm? where I live it is shown on a regular cinema, but you can buy 3d glasses.

But you're saying it will be blurry?

As for you, one could almost think you are being paid to promote the movie judging by your posts. But I'm guessing you want it to succeed so we'll see more of this kind of movies in the future, like battle angel

Hm? where I live it is shown on a regular cinema, but you can buy 3d glasses.

But you're saying it will be blurry?

Yes, it will be blurry if you watch it in the 3-D format without the glasses. Are you saying that where you live, people can watch it together, some with the glasses and some without?

To explain how it works: the new thing is called "Real 3-D," and it's an improvement on the old red-and-green format. In the old-fashioned method, the movie was played in two slightly offset projections simultaneously, one red and one green. If you looked at it that way, it was hard to discern and headache-inducing, but when you put on the glasses, the right and left lenses would each filter out one of the projections according to their colors, leaving you with the 3-D effect.
The new method is similar, but it uses polarized light and lenses instead of coloring. Right and left projections are played in extremely rapid alternation, and they are filtered by the lenses without any need for color alterations. That way, the colors look normal without the glasses, but the picture is still blurry, with the appearance of two offset projections being played at once. I observed this while watching the film. In wider shots, the difference is not as noticeable, but in closeups, the 3-D effect is pronounced.

Some of the showings are in 2-D, and as long as the special projector is used, it does not matter which screen it is; but I very much doubt that some people would be watching 3-D with glasses while others would be going without the glasses with the same screen simultaneously.

As for you, one could almost think you are being paid to promote the movie judging by your posts. But I'm guessing you want it to succeed so we'll see more of this kind of movies in the future, like battle angel

I'm writing about the movie because I'm enthusiastic about it. Payment would be nice, but it's not my motivation.

usually 3D is blurry without glasses

but you all have seen him in 3D and nobody got a headache??
It didn't bother me, but I have heard of that being a problem. Some people get used to it after a while.

usually 3D is blurry without glasses

but you all have seen him in 3D and nobody got a headache??

I watched it in two different theaters with 3D glasses. The 3D in this film is very impressive. There were a few scenes that seemed fake, like the 3D was poorly constructed. Otherwise, the 3D effects were amazing.

I got no headache or nausea, but one of my friends who saw it said she got slight nausea from all the movement, and heights.

When I checked the film without the glasses, it was blurry in proportion to how far away things were supposed to be. It will make you feel very nearsighted to watch the 3D version without the glasses, but the up close elements were mostly focused. Also, the glasses cause the film to seem a bit dimmer than it is without them.

I'm going to go catch a 2D showing to see how they compare.