James Cameron's AVATAR | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

I have a level 80 night elf druid and hunter, while being a huge fan of science fiction like Warhammer 40k. There is no way I'm not going to see this film. For no other reason than it has big primitive blue people fighting space marines. SCORE!~

Also, I think any ambiguation between this and the Avatar series will only help get kids into the theater. If the film is good, they'll stay, maybe even see it twice.

Lastly, the entire ad campaign for Aliens was nothing more than a 30 second teaser that showed not a single clip from the upcoming movie. It was just a face hugger egg opening, and the Alien logo growing an 'S' and turning into the word Aliens. That movie grossed an inordinate amount of money. I've never been so surprised by a film in my life. The vast majority of my theater walked directly to the line to see it again. Maybe Cameron will pull off another surprise of awesome.

I thought they were doing a movie about the TV series before I saw the trailers. now I have mixed feelings about it :mtap:

That's also coming up, V - the story about Aang and the rest of the gang is coming up as well. Although the cast choices have a lot to be desired...

I hope it's good. My friend has been saying Rotten Tomatoes has been giving it a 95% fresh rating so far, so that's really good news (higher than The Dark Knight?) but I dunno. Right now, I just want something to knock my socks off. It'd be nice if it's Avatar, but it better not be for the special effects.

That's also coming up, V - the story about Aang and the rest of the gang is coming up as well. Although the cast choices have a lot to be desired...

really?!?! :) that's awesomeee!!! well, I no longer resent this movie :D

From what I hear, M. Night Shamalayn is letting his kids, who are gigantic Avatar fans and talked him into the project in the first place, be the executive producers to ensure that the movie stays accurate to the series.

I'm hopeful, but not investing until I see more than the teaser.

Looks like crap.

And on top of that, I just saw a clip of it and you could just tell so clearly that it was computer animated that it removed all immersion and excitement of an already uninventive and boring scene.

Hopefully the movie itself will be vastly better than the trailers

OK, now I am annoyed, lol. You had to post this when there is 7 days left until it opens. Thanks alot Last Mohican!!!!

I wanna see it now!!!:mcute:

OK, now I am annoyed, lol. You had to post this when there is 7 days left until it opens. Thanks alot Last Mohican!!!!

I wanna see it now!!!:mcute:
Too soon, or too late?

But thanks for reminding me, the OP does need to include the release date.

lol, too soon and I was kidding you :)

I thought they were doing a movie about the TV series before I saw the trailers. now I have mixed feelings about it :mtap:

The AVATAR the Last Airbender Movie is still comming out.

I need to start a thread about it.

Sales for the midnight showings totaled $3.5 million. That's disappointing; it can partly be attributed to the length (2 hours and 42 minutes is a long time to be watching a movie after midnight), but clearly it did not have as many die-hard fans as movies like The Dark Knight, New Moon, or Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
That's understandable considering that Avatar had no audience built up from a previous film, but again, disappointing. Here's hoping that it has a decent first day.

So this movie is basically Pocahontas on steroids. Disappointing.

The reviews have been coming in. From what I understand, the people who actually go to see it find it astonishing. Whereas most of the critics are right wing ass hats who haven't actually seen the movie.

I saw "The making of Avatar" on HBO.

This is facinating. This is NOT an animated movie. They actually "captured" the actors performances. The actors had wires and gizmos on them and acted the story out. This is the first time the technology has been used like this. They said this is going to revolutionize Hollywood.

I Freaking still to this day LOVEEEEEE Titantic and im NO female nor of homosexual orientation.( i sounded so smart there:) )

but yea sure...ill go see it y not.

Man has sounded succesful so far....

The reviews have been coming in. From what I understand, the people who actually go to see it find it astonishing. Whereas most of the critics are right wing ass hats who haven't actually seen the movie.

That makes sense since the villains are greedy corporate bastards and bloodlusty military types. However, as usual for this day and age, even though these characters were well written as 'evil', people who have anything in common with such characters fly off the handle as a reaction to them, claiming that they were personally vilified. If a movie came out that had well written 'evil' characters who shared left wing views, I'm sure there would be a horde of ass hats who hadn't actually seen the movie criticising it. Personally, I'm sick of ass hats who can't just accept that fiction requires antagonists and anything taken to an extreme can create conflict.

So this movie is basically Pocahontas on steroids. Disappointing.

Much more like Dances With Wolves, actually.

However, back to the real point... the movie was very well done, introduced some interesting concepts, and was (as to be expected) visually stunning. In a lot of ways, it was Cameron's opus.

I'll give it an A-, but I'm a harsh critic. Only three movies have ever gotten an A+ from me, and only a dozen or so an A.

Also, I'm now in love with a 12 foot blue monkey that has pointy ears and yellow eyes...

zoe-saldana-as-neytiri.jpg

Last edited:

I've heard quite a few people say that while the visuals and other technical aspects (music, acting, pacing, etc.) were great, the story was thin and unoriginal. But two counterpoints to that: Firstly, even if the story is unoriginal, I think it is worth making if you can do it better than the previous attempts, which seems to have been the case here. (If originality is really that important, then why do we go to see remakes?) Secondly, if the story is made too complicated (as in the POTC sequels), then you get less out of the special effects and all that because you're frantically trying to figure out what's going on; in short, massive overstimulation.

I saw "The making of Avatar" on HBO.

This is facinating. This is NOT an animated movie. They actually "captured" the actors performances. The actors had wires and gizmos on them and acted the story out. This is the first time the technology has been used like this. They said this is going to revolutionize Hollywood.

Motion capture has been around for years; it just hasn't been done this well before. Its popularity exploded with the creation of Gollum in The Lord of the Rings, but it took awhile to approach sufficient realism for human faces. Robert Zemeckis made a couple of increasingly good, but still creepy-looking movies (The Polar Express and then Beowulf) that get stuck in that deadly "uncanny valley." His third motion-capture attempt (A Christmas Carol) avoided that problem by going cartoonish. Motion capture was very well implemented in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which one the visual effects Oscar for it.
Of course the motion capture in Avatar is helped along by the blue skin and 3-D format, but it's still leaps and bounds beyond what Beowulf's was, and in my opinion better than that of The Curious Case of Bejamin Button. Seriously, you can see the pores.

Firstly, even if the story is unoriginal, I think it is worth making if you can do it better than the previous attempts, which seems to have been the case here. (If originality was really that important, then why do we go to see remakes?) Secondly, if the story is made too complicated (as in the POTC sequels), then you get less out of the special effects and all that because you're frantically trying to figure out what's going on; in short, massive overstimulation.

Excellent points! I'm planning on seeing this movie tomorrow, hopefully the critics are crazy (usually are). Still, as good as the effects are I find moments to be reminiscent of FF Spirits Within... not quite past the uncanny valley yet my friends. Much further than that film though.

Plan to see the movie this week. Will comment here when i do.