Is everyone racist? *thread split* | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Is everyone racist? *thread split*

I think racism relates to race (white, black, asian, red, etc) and sometimes we tend to put every misconception in the same pot; i.e. tagging someone as racist, when there are other areas of misjudgement (sexism, religious misconceptions, geographic misjudgement and so and so). It seems like the thread is mixing everything in the "racism" room

When I originally made the remark "Everyone is a little bit racist" I sort of spun off from that to make the point that everyone has some sort of stereotyping similar to Racism. So this observation is right ^_^

Also...If you guys don't like the term 'racist' and insist we use euphemisms, fine. But it doesn't remove the point I was making.

PS Thank you Arbygil. Again sorry for coming off bitchy, for the past 3 years I've had panic attacks, three therapists and an entire transformation of every thing I have ever believed in due to being a sociology college student. It is hard to learn things and not feel some what high and mighty about them especially when you are hurt by them and you just want others to see our societies constructed fallicies on our existence.
You are right about the target audience, I probably need to work on the delivery of my message too. Im just no good at this sugar coating stuff to not offend people. People get offended either way as far as Im concerned so sometimes its better just to be frank and deal with the consequences. At least that way no one is confused on how you FEEL.

Racism, and all forms of prejudice, can never even begin to end in the world until we each learn to abandon our own personal prejudices.

I don't think that's possible until we find a way to stop thinking we know the hearts of every man, woman and child on the planet. Their motivations, their prejudices, their intentions. And abandon the concept that we can force them to say or do whatever it is we believe they should say or do. You can't change other people. You can only change yourself.

How anyone thinks I am means nothing to me; only I can know how I am. And I can only support my stated beliefs by putting them into practice out in the world. By living them.

Societal evolution would be possible if we all focused on our own personal evolution. Personal evolution starts within oneself. Attempting to force a group to admit to one's own personal assumptions or prejudices is not the way to end prejudice; it merely prolongs our own when the group does not comply with our demands.

ETA: I think it's VERY important to remember that none of us here know each other all that well. It would be wise to remember that you can't assume you know to what lengths people have gone to study on matters of importance to them, or what their own life experiences have been when passing judgment on them.

Last edited:
Love Foamy :D

Sad, but true: Foamy is *right.* Lol!

And for the record...I saw Tyler's televised plays before I saw his movies. A White girl introduced him to me! She also introduced him to my Hispanic best friend, and a whole group of güeras. We spent four hours laughing at those DVDs. He's funny. :D

So there ya go.

Slant, I don't think anyone is downplaying the message here...but the issue is not to cause volcanic emotional responses. The intent is to foster dialogue. In order to keep the dialogue going in a positive way, the definitions have to change to suit the audience.

I have a pretty good idea of what is trying to be said, and - trust me - I've been in enough chat rooms and forums to explain my position and reasoning over and over again. I've heard it all. But forcing people to acknowledge something when they are either 1)Not ready to or 2) Have already acknowledged it their own way won't bring about positive change or positive dialogue.

I choose to use the word preference because this is a balanced word without an inflammatory effect. Now if you just want an effect, by all means keep using a trigger word. But I have a feeling using a trigger word won't breed anything but more and more trigger words.

*Hugs* Moonbaby! You'll find your balance. Give yourself time, and trust your instincts. The audience is there, and it could be your calling to help people see the truth. Keep the passion! Just temper the words to make it fit those you need to reach.

Slant, I don't think anyone is downplaying the message here...but the issue is not to cause volcanic emotional responses. The intent is to foster dialogue. In order to keep the dialogue going in a positive way, the definitions have to change to suit the audience.

I have a pretty good idea of what is trying to be said, and - trust me - I've been in enough chat rooms and forums to explain my position and reasoning over and over again. I've heard it all. But forcing people to acknowledge something when they are either 1)Not ready to or 2) Have already acknowledged it their own way won't bring about positive change or positive dialogue.

I choose to use the word preference because this is a balanced word without an inflammatory effect. Now if you just want an effect, by all means keep using a trigger word. But I have a feeling using a trigger word won't breed anything but more and more trigger words.

Well, I think the same point can be made either way. I like the way the conversation went even if it did get a little heated because of the many different points of views that rose. I don't go about trying to attack people's views; I try to practice tolerance. A lot of what was said to a certain degree was intended as generalizations.

Anyway, I think I'll stay out of this discussion from this point on until some other issues get brought up or some point is made that was not made before because it seems like this has been going around in a bit of circles; everyone saying the same point and taking the time to explain in to the other party when, like it has been said, sometimes it is better to agree to disagree.

I've spoken my two-bit and it went around generally well- because I think a lot of you [you being a generic you] started out with your own views and then incorperated each others in order to relate. It's amazing to see debates where this can be done, and I can certaintly tell you that this is one of the more civil ones based on what goes down where I'm stationed.

*Nods.* I think it's good for all of us to be real with each other, too. But we don't always need to push others to have a real dialogue, or push too quickly to get to the heart of the matter. I find everyone shows their honesty, eventually.

Don't get me wrong - I'll definitely push, if I think pushing's needed...but I'm not going to yell, "fire!" in a crowded theater unless there really is one. :)

*pushes arbygil over*

*Klunk*!

Falls to the floor...

Dang, I always was top heavy!

Just by change, do any of you guys think 'racism' will ever end?

Nope. The human drive and craving for power over others will never end.

I've spoken my two-bit and it went around generally well- because I think a lot of you [you being a generic you] started out with your own views and then incorperated each others in order to relate. It's amazing to see debates where this can be done, and I can certaintly tell you that this is one of the more civil ones based on what goes down where I'm stationed.

People responded well to your point of view because you were able to explain your position. The problems arise when someone insists on labelling everyone else and then refuses to explain their position.

I think we are actually getting somewhere with this. I can see what you mean about everyone having some kind of prejudice, though racism isn't the right word. Racism will never be completely eliminated because there will always be people who will believe they are better that everyone else. These people will come up with any reason they can to justify their position. Race is as good a reason as any for these people.

Just by change, do any of you guys think 'racism' will ever end?

No. I think it's in human nature to always find ways to divide the world into us and them. But we never have to slaves to our nature...there is sometimes honour and glory to be find in fighting, even a losing battle.

No. I think it's in human nature to always find ways to divide the world into us and them. But we never have to slaves to our nature...there is sometimes honour and glory to be find in fighting, even a losing battle.

That settles it. I'm going to take on the entire combined armies of the world and go out in a hail of nukes.

That settles it. I'm going to take on the entire combined armies of the world and go out in a hail of nukes.

And I will mourn you, with glorious poetry.