Is everyone racist? *thread split* | INFJ Forum

Is everyone racist? *thread split*

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by slant, Jan 4, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 10 users.
More threads by slant
  1. slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,339
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,645
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Come now, Everyone's a little bit racist.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ZenCat

    ZenCat Waving Sage

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2008
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    2,607
    Likes Received:
    96
    Trophy Points:
    195
    Location:
    A Hippie Commune
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    No, not everyone. I'm not. Nor was my mother, who raised me to be free of racial, national, and even religious prejudice. And I have made every effort to raise my children with this same mindset.

    In all fairness, I am what I'd consider very wary of religious extremism. I may even be (to my horror) become prejudiced against religious extremists.

    But I feel no ill will or contempt for or superiority towards any other nation or race of people. I might be ignorant of many cultures and races, but I have no negative assumptions about them.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    561
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    I STRONGLY disagree. How can you dislike someone for where they were born? It's like disliking someone based on what their favourite colour is. The enemy isn't people from other countries, other religions or social groups. They are mixed in with the rest of us. They live down the road from you and everyone else. Regardless of what country they happen to be from
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,339
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,645
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    I'm almost too intimidated to argue my point. But I'm going to anyway, because opinions are like assholes: Everyone's got one.

    What I'm trying to say is that everyone has had a time in their life where they have thought a racist thought. I'm not talking about comments like "What a fucking spick," when a Hispanic walks down the street. No, that's definitely racist.

    What I'm talking about is thoughts like, "People who move to America should learn to speak English." That's very racist. Just assumptions, just thoughts that aren't directly attacking the race itself can be thought of as racist. And what I mean by,

    Everyone is a little bit racist, is just that we all have stereotypical thoughts pop into our heads about certain people, certain places, certain things. You may not think you are supreme, but a lot of Americans are concerned when they meet a middle-easterner, and what are they thinking? [TERRORIST!] I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying that everyone thinks so drastically. Maybe you don't think terrorist when you see a middle easterner- and that's cool that you're able to rise against that kind of stereotyping. But to deny being racist, even a little bit, is absurd. It's against our human nature not to notice differences.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 slant, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  5. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    561
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    Noticing differences and thinking lees of that person for their differences are two different things. I like talking to non english people. It's good to see how others cultures live. When you see amiddle easterner you may think TERRORist because that is what your government has brainwashed you into thinking. You should dislike the Americans who did that to you, not the middle easterners
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,339
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,645
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    I really think you're missing the point. In fact, I'm glad you mentioned government because that's exactly who's to blame; and who is government run by? The people. Society is the reason there is racism. And the reason it continues to exist is because people are so brainwashed into thinking that racism in extremist terms like Adolf Hitler and the KKK. Racism is NOT only that. You are racist if you find yourself intimidated by a group of black teenage boys or young males walking into a room. If you hire someone because they are lower class, speak little English, and seem to have a lower chance of getting a job anywhere else, while this may be sympathetic, it is also racist. If people would just fess up to these thoughts they have unconciously it would be easier to manage them, and therefore, easier to be less racist. ​
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #6 slant, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  7. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    See, those lesser reasons are why I call myself racist.
     
  8. OP
    slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,339
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,645
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    In fact since we're discussing it, everyone is sexist, everyone is has classism tendencies, and everyone has darwanism beliefs, because when it comes down it, it's all about suvival of the fittest.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ZenCat

    ZenCat Waving Sage

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2008
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    2,607
    Likes Received:
    96
    Trophy Points:
    195
    Location:
    A Hippie Commune
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    Mmmm no, I don't feel it about races, or colors, or obvious religious display. But I understand what you're saying, and I agree that even perhaps the majority of those who live in populated areas (vs those who live remotely and may not have these questions arise on a regular basis) do have prejudices.

    But I can't ever agree that ALL people have some degree of racial prejudice, because I don't believe that any two people are exactly the same.

    Having thought about it a little bit though, I can say honestly that I do recognize that I have some degree of gender prejudice.

    I am always FAR more anxious to approach or be approached by a man (or group of men) I don't know than by a woman I don't know. So I am guilty of believing men to be statistically more dangerous than women. My fear is no different if the man is black, white, hispanic, asian, or middle-eastern in appearance, though.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    561
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    I'm not saying racism doesn't exist. of course it does. But I can assure you I am in no way racist. even based on the lesser reasons you mentioned. In real life I have freinds from: Poland, Russia, Iraq, France, and Africa. There are countless middle Easterners where I live and almost all of them seem very nice. I cannot stress how much I disagree with you. You may be a little racist but not everyone is
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. OP
    slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,339
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,645
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Classism, Racism, Sexism; Everyone discriminates to a different degree, and maybe you are just sexist and have no tendencies towards racism at all. But everyone has one. Pick your poison.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    561
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    I don't dislike anybody I don't know. If I do dislike someone it is based on that person charecter traits or actions. If I met 100 people from Brazil and hated every one of them. I would only dislike that 100 people. not the millions of people that I have never met who just happen to be from the same country.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. IndigoSensor

    IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Threads:
    762
    Messages:
    14,154
    Likes Received:
    1,297
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    Everyone is racist, sexist, ect. To some degree. We are human, we all have natural opinions with everything.

    However, the degree of this is highly varaible from person to person, and the person may or may not be aware of it.

    I myself know that I am sexist to a degree. I will aproach a woman much faster then I will a man because I am more confortable around them. I try to work on this everyday though.

    What I have noticed with myself is when it comes to being [insert preface here]-ist, it is more about if the person displays the stereotypical negative behavior from which the stigmas about it originate from. For example, a african amercian woman walking on a street bouncing around like she owns the place scowling and yelling at anyone who so much makes eye contact with her, and her goal being to make herself appear larger then life and belittle anyone she can, all the while cursing every chance that arises. If I meet that kind of person, of course I would respond in a racist way, and stay away from that person. Not because of who she is, but because of how she is ACTING. She is perpetuating one of the stereotypes that is, for lack of a better word, really bad. However, if she was not acting like that, and was just walking along, (should the opertunity arise) I wouldnot hesitate to converse with her. It is all about the behavior.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    slant likes this.
  14. Lurker

    Lurker Has nothing to destroy
    Retired Staff

    Joined:
    May 23, 2008
    Threads:
    78
    Messages:
    4,253
    Likes Received:
    165
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    Noticing differences or stereotypes is not being racist, treating a person as a lesser human being because of them is. Using common sense when it comes to your safety is not being racist or sexist, it's being cautious.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. ZenCat

    ZenCat Waving Sage

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2008
    Threads:
    76
    Messages:
    2,607
    Likes Received:
    96
    Trophy Points:
    195
    Location:
    A Hippie Commune
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    Maybe it's a question of those who tend to think in Absolute terms, and those who do not.

    I don't tend to think in Absolute terms... (always, never, all, everybody is, nobody is, etc.) because I simply don't connect with that many people so I don't impose my beliefs on them, or consider that their beliefs, by default, must also be mine.

    And I'm not a sexist :m145:

    I'm also very reluctant to be pidgeonholed or pidgeonhole others. If I feel that tendency, I would consider it something to look at in myself. I might use emphatic language, but I try to keep my mind open and not label others. Sometimes those labels are damn hard to peel off.

     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #15 ZenCat, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  16. Poetic Justice

    Donor

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    Threads:
    70
    Messages:
    2,916
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    561
    Trophy Points:
    657
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5
    Exactly
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. OP
    slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,339
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,645
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Reasonable. I'd agree with this.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. OP
    slant

    slant Ruboobie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Threads:
    334
    Messages:
    10,339
    Featured Threads:
    40
    Likes Received:
    16,645
    Trophy Points:
    1,901
    Gender:
    Female
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Being CAUTIOUS based on stereotypes that men are less safe than women, or that a black man might be more dangerous than a white woman. If it was just based legitimately on one encounter with just one person than nobody would automatically assume this.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Shai Gar

    Shai Gar Guest

    Back in Brisbane my two best friends (That I saw the most) was an INTJ from Croatia, and an INFJ from Sudan.. I mixed constantly with a large variety of everyone because the suburb I was living in was where a lot of migrants moved to. I didn't discriminate with who I ignored (nearly everyone), but that didn't mean that being bombarded constantly with media from everywhere didn't affect my initial reactions to people of different genders and races and... Well I'll ignore religion because I tend to dislike all of it.
     
  20. Shaz

    Shaz Community Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Threads:
    13
    Messages:
    594
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    I must admit sometimes I have anti-american thoughts. I don't have anything against American people though. It's more about the symbolic of the country. The symbol is so strong, I can't help it sometimes, even though I don't like catching myself having that kind of thoughts.

    And as far as the UK and Europe... Ah, well! Too big a topic :D but you guys are funny (I guess we're funny in our way too).
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page