Is everyone racist? *thread split* | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Is everyone racist? *thread split*

You did it again!

I think you need sensitivity classes.

I had years of those...you should have met me before.
Let me see if I can remember what I'm supposed to do....

A black male *hug* everybody...run?:m077:

No...

A black male *gasp* everybody hug:m145:!

My memory fails me...

I had years of those...you should have met me before.
Let me see if I can remember what I'm supposed to do....

A black male *hug* everybody...run?:m077:

No...

A black male *gasp* everybody hug:m145:!

My memory fails me...

I just remember "A black male! You're on my team for dodge ball!"

I just remember "A black male! You're on my team for dodge ball!"

I loves me some dodgeball.

Though the one I learned to love the best was...

"A black male! You're on my quizbowl team!!!

I loves me some dodgeball.

Though the one I learned to love the best was...

"A black male! You're on my quizbowl team!!!

I don't know what quizbowl is, but I definitely want you on my team for that too.

I don't know what quizbowl is, but I definitely want you on my team for that too.

It's like Jeopardy...but with teams...nothing at all like dodgeball :). You get to answer questions like...What is the capital of Mongolia?

It's like Jeopardy...but with teams...nothing at all like dodgeball :). You get to answer questions like...What is the capital of Mongolia?

If you know the answer to that one, then you're on my team.

On a mildly serious note - I rarely judge anyone's intelligence to begin with, so I certainly never would based on race or culture. But as a 5'2" white female I learned young to always have the big dudes on your side, and yes - I have a tendency to assume that black dudes are going to be big dudes. Therefore, I definitely want you on my team for dodgeball (cause I'm shamelessly expecting you're big enough so that I wouldn't want you on the other team), and now that I've read your posts I know I want you on my pub quiz team. Er, quizbowl team. Wait, no - definitely pub quiz. You haven't confirmed quizbowl includes beer, so I'm going to have to go with a known generalization.

Is that prejudice?

Hey that's not fair.
I'm not a racist ... I hate everybody!

If you know the answer to that one, then you're on my team.

On a mildly serious note - I rarely judge anyone's intelligence to begin with, so I certainly never would based on race or culture. But as a 5'2" white female I learned young to always have the big dudes on your side, and yes - I have a tendency to assume that black dudes are going to be big dudes. Therefore, I definitely want you on my team for dodgeball (cause I'm shamelessly expecting you're big enough so that I wouldn't want you on the other team), and now that I've read your posts I know I want you on my pub quiz team. Er, quizbowl team. Wait, no - definitely pub quiz. You haven't confirmed quizbowl includes beer, so I'm going to have to go with a known generalization.

Is that prejudice?

The answer is Ulan Bator (who I think is a member on here too, which is funny).

Chances are most black males *gasp/hug* and males in general will be bigger than you :)...but in dodgeball if you're a bigger target, you might get aimed at more...especially if you throw the ball hard.

I am bigger than you, at 5'10" 185-190lbs. Which is slightly larger than the average American male.

Quizbowl, especially the middle and highschool versions most definitely do not include beer...not so sure about pubquiz.

@ Seeker
That's the spirit. Treat everyone the same...burn them all, or shower them with cute monkeys and mini cheesecakes.

I dussent want to play dodgeball. It hurtz.

dodgeball1.jpg

Quizbowl, especially the middle and highschool versions most definitely do not include beer...not so sure about pubquiz.

Oh, I'm sorry. My question of prejudice was directed at the appropriateness of ignoring quizbowl in favor of pub quizzes because the latter includes beer.

Choosing large teammates for dodgeball is clearly sound strategy. First, they're not throwing balls at you, but for you. And second, as large targets the opposing team is also not throwing balls at you but at them.

It's really fool proof. Until the end, when you get your ass handed to you anyway.

I think everyone's racist to a certain extent. I've grown up around people who say that they're not racist, yet they occasionally throw black jokes in their words (at my expense unknowingly often). Usually, the people who are the most against racism are so because a large majority of their friends are the same color as them, and they're not around other races very much, so it's convenient for them.

I don't know, I've been thinking alot lately. The whole "Love the race hate the people vs hate the race love the people" and I'm not sure where I stand. Because I can't say I love everyone, because I hate lots of people for being hateful (I'm intolerant of intolerance, heh). And I don't like a lot of people at my school. I get criticized sometimes for saying I can't stand certain people. And it's hard to explain, I'm the most open guy to anyone, but I don't care about what race they are or anything, it's just the person they are. And I don't like most of the people in my high school.

And there's people who don't go to my school who say that's wrong, and that you should "love your enemies". That's a load of bull. I just think, like Kurt Cobain says:
"Hate your enemies
Save your friends
Find your place
Speak the truth"

No, I am meaning racisit, as the book White Privilige does, to explain a broad approach to discrimination. It pertains not only to race, but gender, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, income, age and other society influenced norms that are deviated from. Everyone is racist, even in 3rd world countries where indigenous people form negative opinions of white men who come and f-up their land, those people are also racist even though they themselves are being oppressed. I only mention that Im a soc major b/c it is where my life is CONSUMED right now, I haven't read a book for fun in years and this is all I seem to be thinking about 24/7. The past 3 years of my life I have spent nights in tears thinking about this topic, how I've been brainwashed as well as everyone else. You can be mother flippin teresa and be a racist because you attain privilige due to your status and you don't turn it down. When we neglect to admit that when are all racist that is a problem. I don't do this whole "well not every one is..." because that is not the way it works. WE JUDGE PEOPLE. Every freaking day, WE ALL JUDGE PEOPLE. As americans we all help contribute to revolution (sometimes good or bad)
AND
UNCONSCIOUS FORMS OF OPPRESSION OF PEOPLE IN LOWER STATUSES OR OF DIFFERING GROUPS. If you don't admit to it, then you haven't embraced it, arn't ready to change it, and you can never really understand the stance of someone else. We have to embrace that in order to be an ally to others, we can't assume we know anything about the experience of someone else and when we try to put our conceptulization on it and then they get frustrated when you don't understand, well then...you see what I mean. AGAIN READ THE BOOK!!!!! I don't claim to know anything, but I do understand this and believe this. We are all racist, if you don't like the word think of something else, Im using the linguistic b/c it came from the book, and it's definition is bigger than the one is being put on it.:m202:

Again I have to distance myself from this type of talk. I assure you I am not racist. To say that only people who admit they are racist can understand other peoples position is one of the most delusional things I have ever heard. Of course we all judge people, of course we all make assumptions about people. Thats just the way our brains work. But that DOES NOT mean I think non english people are inferior IN ANY WAY. We all judge and make assumptions about our own social groups as well. does that mean I am racist against other white Englishmen. Of course not.

Regarding the racist joke comment. Making a joke about another culture or social group does not mean you are racist if it is meant in good fun. I am male. Heres a joke: Woman asks her son what he wants to be when he grows up. Son repies: I want to be a man when I grow up. Woman replies: Don't be silly dear, you can't do both.

Does that mean I am sexist against men even though I am a man. I can understand how a racist person would find it hard to understand how anybody could not be racist, but I assure you I AM NOT RACIST

gotta read the book, gotta read the book, gotta read the book. you have to look at the context of this word in order to fully understand my definition of it. Just because you don't think of people inferior to you does not mean you are not racist, it means you are a good person, but it doesnt mean you arn't racist. PRIVILIGE IS THE WORD. PRIVILIGE. LOOK AT IT, HOW MUCH DO YOU GET? HOW MUCH ARE YOU UNCONSCIOUS OF? Do some research on the theory of....do you understand then? This is like one of those sorts of things where people try to say "i don't have slaves, im not responsible for the actions of my ancestors, i don't hate black people" yadda yadda yadda, and then turn around and clutch their purse unconsciously when a black male enters the elevator. It is CONDITIONED, RACISM/BIGGOTRY/HATRED/INEQUALITY is CONDITIONED INTO OUR SOCIETY, IT IS CLEAR EVIDENT AND REAL. One day maybe my explaination will become clear for you, otherwise I can't fully explain this with out having the entire book to sit here and quote to you. I am terrible at debates, but this is one thing I am set on. Im not claiming people are bad for being racist, Im just saying that they are, I am, and so are you. Same with God, I don't know and neither do you.

wow, i need some coffee...otherwise i end up a bear.
i have a hard time with this subject, i have to hear it, read it, think about it so much, reading this blog makes me cry.
society also apparently isn't set up for 24 year old crisis of identity and relation to other individuals post-college. I end up even more judgemental even though Im becoming more open minded. College life is a paradoxical existence that will torture those around them who don't understand the information or severity of what one is learning.
not admiting, seeing, or living up to the statuses we all occupy is what saddens me the most.
egh, letting go of denial is the first step to relieving addiction. I suppose the same applies here

"i don't have slaves, im not responsible for the actions of my ancestors, i don't hate black people" yadda yadda yadda, and then turn around and clutch their purse unconsciously when a black male enters the elevator.

I don't have slaves, I'm not responsible for the actions of my ancestors, I don't hate black people. I never assume I'm going to be robbed by a black person.

This is what I'm saying about you not being able to understand non racist people. clearly you are racist. by my definition and by yours. You assumed I fear black people because you can't understand hoe anyone could not fear black people. because you are racist

If you can't be bothered to explain your definition of racist, how can you expect others to read an entire book to see what your definition is

Last edited:
Let's all take a deep breath, shall we?

Sometimes, in some discussions or debates, it's a reasonable assumption that some of us are just going to have to agree to disagree. There doesn't always have to be a winner. And it doesn't need to get personal.

It wasn't meant to be personal. Everything I wrote was based on Moonbaby's posts. I feel strongly about this. A lot of people do. I think this thread was always going to become heated. I think perhaps we should let this thread become more heated than is usually allowed. I for one quite enjoyed that discussion. I will not hold anything that is said against anyone who disagrees with my position. The heat will stay in this thread. And I hope that stance would be upheld by eveyone else.

P.S. I acknowledge that I shouldn't have said "because you are racist"

*Rolls a fat one, passes it to Moonbaby*

Not trying to curb the discussion so much as redirect how it's being discussed.

Thanks for acknowledging, PJ :)

We can discuss this as passionately as we want, but please try to refrain from saying things like...

"You're a racist"
"You're a sexist"

or other offensive judgments (which are clearly not in jest) directly to another member in the discussion. There are plenty of other ways to phrase your position and voice your feelings without getting personal.

This request comes as per the Forum Rules:

1. No Personal Attacks
This is when another member's character or circumstances is attacked rather than the statements they made. Ad hominem attacks and personal insults are not tolerated on this forum. Exceptions may be made for context and posts meant as lighthearted jokes. The decision of judging intent falls upon moderators and admins and their decisions are final. Personal attacks, harassment, name calling, and posts which serve no purpose other than to flame other members will not be tolerated. Do not troll, bait members, or purposefully cause annoyance and disharmony. This is a community that thrives on getting along.

I'm not making excuses for my statement but I would just like to point out that I wouldn't have said that if Moonbaby hadn't already made it clear that she/he considers herself/himself to be racist.

But that is obviously not the point.

*Rolls a fat one, passes it to ZenCat*