INFJs are more likely then not to hold Supernatural or Superstitious beliefs | INFJ Forum

INFJs are more likely then not to hold Supernatural or Superstitious beliefs

Are INFJs are more likely then not to hold Supernatural or Superstitious beliefs?

• Yes

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Stu

Town Drunkard
Donor
Oct 30, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
INFJs are more likely then not to hold Supernatural or Superstitious beliefs

i would say no... superstition is more of an inherited belief. In my experience as an INFJ, I dont have much use for inherited superstitions that I cannot verify in my own head.

Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, not based on reason, knowledge, or experience.

Supernatural attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature : a supernatural being.

Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, not based on reason, knowledge, or experience.

Supernatural attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature : a supernatural being.

I think supernatural might fit, but definitely not superstitious, that's more of an SF thing I think. My mother comes to mind, very superstitious, ESFJ.

I'd go with supernatural but not with supersticious, I think NF lends to these kinda things.

But thats from personal experience, we have all kinds here.

I don't know about (other) INFJs, but I am not at all superstitious.

Sorry don't know I am ENTP. But I like the set up for some very stimulating conversations. But I have Obviously been excluded from haveing a view point that would give insight into the mind of the "a-typical" INFJ.

Supernatural yes, superstitious no, I consider all the spiritual knowledge that I acquire to be quite reasonable to me, it is something personal that I myself believe to be truth, I have always also tried to mix science and spirituality to come up with possible explanations, so no even though I might believe in certain things that cannot be perceived by the human eye alone, I do not hold my views to be superstitious.

More likely than N types, less likely than most S types.

Supernatural yes, superstitious no, I consider all the spiritual knowledge that I acquire to be quite reasonable to me, it is something personal that I myself believe to be truth, I have always also tried to mix science and spirituality to come up with possible explanations, so no even though I might believe in certain things that cannot be perceived by the human eye alone, I do not hold my views to be superstitious.
What is the difference between supernatural and superstitious to you?

What is the difference between supernatural and superstitious to you?

A superstitious person will based their beliefs without any foundation, a person who believes in the supernatural tries to rationalize such explanations though feelings ad vibes and mixing this with scientific standards, a superstitious person on the other hand just follows a belief blindly, without really seeing beyond the box.

I have to agree - supernatural yes, but superstitious no. The supernatural adheres to things not of this world, and things of a spiritual nature that cannot be proven scientifically. Superstition does not need a spiritual basis. "Step on a crack/break your mother's back" becomes superstitious if you refuse to step on a crack for fear of actually breaking your mother's back. It also applies to certain numbers and black cats and days of the week, salt shakers...etc.

I'd have to agree that superstition is not an NFJ trait, from what I've seen. INFJs can become paranoid about things, but their paranoia isn't generally brought about by superstitions.

I'm not sure it's a simple yes/no question, but I'm erring on the side of yes, regarding the supernatural. I like colourful superstitious traditions, but tend to laugh at them quite a lot too, so they interest me, but do not hold me fixed.

Last edited:
I have to agree - supernatural yes, but superstitious no. The supernatural adheres to things not of this world, and things of a spiritual nature that cannot be proven scientifically. Superstition does not need a spiritual basis. "Step on a crack/break your mother's back" becomes superstitious if you refuse to step on a crack for fear of actually breaking your mother's back. It also applies to certain numbers and black cats and days of the week, salt shakers...etc.

I'd have to agree that superstition is not an NFJ trait, from what I've seen. INFJs can become paranoid about things, but their paranoia isn't generally brought about by superstitions.

Like all the rest of us INFJs...

+1

I have a black cat that crosses my path hundreds of times a day and nothing happened so far. :p

I'm not superstitious at all, and I don't think that superstition should be encouraged since it can get out of control and hurt someone. Several years ago there was a case of a severe liquid led burns on a head of a small child because a superstitious mother thought that it is smart to take her child to some woman for a curse lifting or some nonsense like that. Than again I have a friend who paint her nails always the same color when she is going to take an exam which is kind of funny to me, but still it doesn't hurt anyone.

But because of the supernatural part I voted yes.

I can't answer the poll question, actually, because those things are mutually exclusive to me. I can't be both. So either way I see the poll I have to say no to one part and yes to another. It's impossible for me to only say yes or no.

Superstition is usually 80% control mechanism and maybe 20% certain value. Very much related to cultural and religious development.

However, I believe in the supernatural. Just because you can't see or touch it doesn't mean its not there.

I agree with supernatural as well....not superstitious though. I think it is easy for us to take input (observation, study, etc) and through these make intuitive connections of a more spiritual nature.

I was interested in supernatural things when I was younger, even going as far as exploring some of the pagan/wicca religions that involve supernatural things. I was involved in that for 4 years in fact.

In the beginning, I found the supernatural exciting and curious. It felt empowering to believe in it. There was much beauty and colour and warmth in the wicca religion, that was pleasant to embrace.

But gradually, my rational side got the better of me, and I began questioning things. It wasn't just a faded interest, it was a careful and thoughtful consideration of the feasibility of the ideas, and in what ways and to what depth a belief or a particular interpretation of the world benefits me, if at all.

I've discarded much of that from my life. What remains is two fold: (i) that I have a much more holistic view of the natural world now, that humanity is still very much a part of; (ii) That there may still be principles to our universe that we are unaware of and/or don't understand, such as the nature of the mind.

But I can still find supernatural to be exciting and curious, and it still evokes the same feelings that it always has. I consider myself to be open minded but level headed. I'm comfortable in acknowledging my own ignorance. :)