INFJs are more likely then not to hold Supernatural or Superstitious beliefs | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

INFJs are more likely then not to hold Supernatural or Superstitious beliefs

Are INFJs are more likely then not to hold Supernatural or Superstitious beliefs?

• Yes

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
But you see, we *do* base the supernatural on reason, knowledge, and/or experience. It's either happened to us, we hear about it happening to someone else, or we are interested in the reports that are consistently similar in experiences. That's why it's different, IMO. Superstition doesn't rely on anyone's report other than one's own.

There *is* a difference. Perhaps it's semantics, or a lack of understanding between the two, but I know I consciously make an effort to investigate such things and listen to reports. I blow off "step on a crack" stuff because that's usually based on fear without any other knowledge attached.

But you see, we *do* base the supernatural on reason, knowledge, and/or experience. It's either happened to us, we hear about it happening to someone else, or we are interested in the reports that are consistently similar in experiences. That's why it's different, IMO. Superstition doesn't rely on anyone's report other than one's own.

There *is* a difference. Perhaps it's semantics, or a lack of understanding between the two, but I know I consciously make an effort to investigate such things and listen to reports. I blow off "step on a crack" stuff because that's usually based on fear without any other knowledge attached.

well said! I agree completely.

Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, not based on reason, knowledge, or experience.

Supernatural attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature : a supernatural being.

Superstition attributes greater causality to a subject than it is capable of. For instance, to think that a black cat can influence unrelated events is superstitious.

Supernatural, refers to things above or greater than our own nature. To say that God, if one believes in His existence, is capable of governing the course of our lives is not superstitious, because it does not attribute to Him an ability to cause greater than his nature would imply.

Speaking for myself (an INFJ) I would say that I am not superstitious, but I believe in the supernatural.

I've always been supernaturally inclined. I would have been more so if it weren't for the strict religious training that told me thinking 'out of the box,' so to speak, was sinful or just plain nuts.

As a child I desperately wanted to communicate about things unseen and things unheard, fanciful things or I would mention the friend in my heart and many other things. But I was quickly tamped down and people kept their eye on me. lol

This is what kills me about being an INFJ - our biggest criticism is that we don't open up but from experience we know that when we do we end up with criticism!

~Superstitious

:m107:

~Supernatural

:mlight:

Any questions??

I voted "no" because I am highly skeptical of just about everything.

I like watching those television specials on the Travel/Discovery/etc. Channel and whatnot (and I always get scared of the dark for about a week afterwards), but I always fall back into my old views.

To me, supernatural implies being above, beyond, or otherwise outside nature. I dunno. Personally I don't think is possible for something to exist within nature AND to be not of nature. "Sufficiently advanced anything looks like magic," I say. It's possible that there will be a scientific explanation for Qi energy and/or magic in the future. In the meantime, I can accept those things as being called supernatural, though I use the term 'spiritual', myself.

I voted yes, because of the four INFJs I know, three of them practiced some form of divination at the time I met them, and the fourth has adopted tarot since.

Last edited:
Supernatural yes absolutely. There are so many things that we don't know about the world.. So it's easiest to lump them in this catergory. However I do believe there is a subterranean level. And in the west especially we are terrified of anything that's not spoon fed and organized slits a taboo issue.
"Certain experiences do not cease to exist simply because there is no place for them in our customary order." -Harriet Whitehead

I voted yes, but this is purely from my own standpoint.

Belief in the supernatural requires a healthy dose of irrationality. Equating supernatural with superstition casts an obnoxiously bright, rational, light on the subject. It is intellectually seductive to build a house of arguments to support a supernatural belief. My feeling is that those of us who are intuitive introverts are predisposed to believe in and experience events that rationalists would call supernatural. With INFJs there seems to be a strong desire for rationality and hence a stubborn streak against irrationality.

Voted no not only on behalf of my girlfriend but my stepmum aswell. Both are possibly the least superstitious people I've ever met.

Voted no not only on behalf of my girlfriend but my stepmum aswell. Both are possibly the least superstitious people I've ever met.
Yeah I am very non-superstitious. Even if I dabble in thinking about superstitious things I never once stopped being sceptical or ever really believed. I also always try to ground something in fact and reality, which I suppose is S and T but there you go. However, if you can prove to me something is true based on some sort of physical principal (say the myth of the brown note) I'll believe it, but if you say something like "its real because it is the sacred path that the earth mother has set up for thouestest" then no >.> .

.......... if you can prove to me something is true based on some sort of physical principal (say the myth of the brown note) I'll believe it, but if you say something like "its real because it is the sacred path that the earth mother has set up for thouestest" then no >.> .

I can relate to this position. My reductionist, empiricist nature takes it one further. But... the reality is that our ability to be rational and objective is based on psychological structures that are neither rational or objective. So how can I trust my rationality. (or anyone else's?)

So how can I trust my rationality. (or anyone else's?)

Become an INTJ and reject objectivism because it isn't objectivist enough.
You know you want to - come join the dark side!
:mlight:

Just joking - INFJs are rare enough as it is. Do the world a favor and be yourself.
:m123:
If you are that worried, maybe you could watch them duke it out at the INTJ forum and see if you can find your answers among the debris of the constant war for "the rational truth". Added bonus: do this instead of converting over and you can still be a lovable INFJ at the end of the day. So who can complain, right?