How strong is your intuition? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

How strong is your intuition?

At first, i didn't think i have any intuition but after looking a day of two of my life, I know i have it. Just a few things that never pops out because it seems too normal for me.

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one who felt like this! I intuitively know I have intuition, but it's burried somewhere. It's like I can only access the tip of the ice berg right now.

Apparently I "project" very loudly - people often know my thoughts and feelings before I verbalize them, or they know when I'm around before I've made my presence known. But I suck at "receiving" the same.

And for me, the deeper the connection I have with the person, the better I hear/see/know/feel things I "shouldn't" otherwise. I hope that was coherent.

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one who felt like this! I intuitively know I have intuition, but it's burried somewhere. It's like I can only access the tip of the ice berg right now.

Apparently I "project" very loudly - people often know my thoughts and feelings before I verbalize them, or they know when I'm around before I've made my presence known. But I suck at "receiving" the same.

And for me, the deeper the connection I have with the person, the better I hear/see/know/feel things I "shouldn't" otherwise. I hope that was coherent.

It was quite coherent, Milon. My lover and I finish each others' sentences or speak in unison with alarming frequency. We even have dreams that answer questions posed by the other's dreams. Very odd, very...but it feels natural to us both. He's a rather spiritual ENFJ, which may account for it, I don't know.

For us it's a two-way street, but my best "receiving," as you call it, normally comes from the people I'm closest to. There are exceptions; as I said in an earlier post, I can usually feel when someone means me harm even if it's a total stranger and there's no outward manifestation of their intentions. Luckily for me, I also have the ability to project a strong sense that I should not be bothered and if that's ignored, I've so far been able to keep a situation from escalating by using a calm but rather stern voice--somewhat like that of a 5th-grade teacher controlling a group of unruly children. It works despite my outward appearance of frailty (I'm fairly slight and use a wheelchair for mobility).

This all sounds crazy, I know, but it's true. Still, I wouldn't--haven't--shared it anywhere but here.

So don't undervalue your projection skills; they may come in handy someday.

I'm like Sylar in Heroes haha. Well, I usually won't cut off the top of your head, but whereas Sylar understands what makes people tick, I understand what makes things tick. I've always liked dissassembling and reassembling things. I notice little details in the design of things that I think other people overlook; a small groove, a slight elevation, a notch, a depression, etc. and can intuit why it was put there and what its function is. ...and if I can't?... I'm driven to figure it out :p

Next time you drink a glass coke bottle note the small raised dots on its side. I thought of a lot of possibilities that it could be for... It could've been braille, but I quickly eliminated that possibility. It was too short to be morse code. It was pointless for grip because they would've put more, and it was no accident. I wondered if it might have some application in recycling but figured that was a little convoluted for recycling.

A friend of mine contacted the coke company about it. It ends up that different bottle-making machines put different dots on the bottles and that they're used for quality-control purposes; if a bunch of bottles with the same bumps were faulty, they could trace it back to the faulty machinery.

Cool, huh? :)

I think INFJs intuit people in much the same way. You might not realize that you're analyzing their facial features, the context of their previous sentences, their body language, the tonal qualities of their voice, and their microexpressions, but you probably are and your intuitive derivation of what they're about to say next stems not from some mystical intuitive source but from information you're subconsciously processing.

Last edited:
anica: Hey now, how'd you know I undervalued my "projecting"? :lol: And it's good to know it has a use!

Ses: Sometimes that's it, maybe that's part of it anyway, but not the whole thing. How do you account for people calling a friend who was just thinking about them? Or picking up the phone to call your friend, and your friend is already on the line (phone just hadn't rung yet)? I've got a large amount of self-taught T in me, and intuitional experiences can't be confined solely to quick subconscious data processing.

Or picking up the phone to call your friend, and your friend is already on the line (phone just hadn't rung yet)?

I did that once, picked up the phone to call my brother and he was on the other end, freaky! Very much a WTF? moment.

Me:
Fi > Ti=Ni > Si=Ne > Se > Te < Fe
As you might be able to tell, I live my life internally.

I've used my intuition to make music. I don't actually know how to read sheet music but I can just "Feel" the notes and can guess what direction a song is going to go even though I might have never heard it. I s'pose that's the most practical application. I'm excellent at jamming with other musicians. That's just where I feel most comfortable. I can never seem to remember what I played and can't really write out music. I just sit down, feel the beat and jam out, in perfect synchronicity with the rest of the group.

Might not be intuition but who knows?

let's see... if you're talking about whether I can tell someone's intentions, and whether they are good or evil... then yes. im probably 99% accurate on that.

i have been spot on several times, pegging someone as 'good' or 'bad' within minutes of meeting them. most people seem to fall in the middle or zone where they are apathetic to me. some are 'evil' and i outright ignore them. some are 'good' and they are allowed into my little world. i allow them more leeway because if nothing else, i know they mean well. and that is extremely important to me.

as far as predicting the future... i do get flashes fairly often. and i strangely make comments that oftentimes come true. im also relatively good at guessing, and at predicting luck.

i know that sounds somewhat ridiculous. but on a physical level, i think this comes from reading facial cues extremely well. and picking up on someone's emotional energy.

my intuition is fairly strong. i don't claim to be psychic, but i could place money on whether a person is a good or bad person.

my intuition is fairly strong. i don't claim to be psychic, but i could place money on whether a person is a good or bad person.

I know what this feels like -- I'm good at reading intention as well. It's like you can pick up some sort of pattern or cloud or something around the person that doesn't sit well

anica: Hey now, how'd you know I undervalued my "projecting"? :lol: And it's good to know it has a use!

Ses: Sometimes that's it, maybe that's part of it anyway, but not the whole thing. How do you account for people calling a friend who was just thinking about them? Or picking up the phone to call your friend, and your friend is already on the line (phone just hadn't rung yet)? I've got a large amount of self-taught T in me, and intuitional experiences can't be confined solely to quick subconscious data processing.
I think you find what you're looking for. If you want to interpret that as some sort of ESP or something then that's how you'll interpret it. I think almost everyone has done that in their lifetime. I have. I thought it was a freaky coincidence, but didn't attribute it to some sort of foreknowledge via intuition. The thinking about friends deal... Well... I think about friends all of the time, and inevitably one of them calls when I happened to have been thinking about them. Intuitive foresight? Nah.

I saw a study on lying once... People who were CERTAIN they could detect whether someone was honest or untruthful. One group were nuns, the other were bouncers. They were all certain they could spot liars. In the scientific study they all did HORRIBLY. It would've been better to have flipped a coin than trust their intuition. They all certainly thought they were good at judging others' characters, but the end result clearly showed that their notion of being human lie detectors was nothing more than personally contrived mumbo jumbo.

I have a feeling that INFJs, while confident of their abilities to judge others' character would do no better than anyone else in a scientific study.

My points:
1) If you look for something you're likely to "find" it.
2) Believing something to be true, regardless of the strength of one's conviction, does not make it true.

Last edited:
In general, intuition is golden.

(This isn't a comment in response or disagreement to your post Ses, just a "generally speaking" comment.)

Last edited:
I know what this feels like -- I'm good at reading intention as well. It's like you can pick up some sort of pattern or cloud or something around the person that doesn't sit well

to me it's obvious near the beginning of meeting someone. no one else seems to get it... right away, *boom* this woman uses men to get what she wants. or *boom* this person is lying through their teeth.

so why do you think that is king? do you think it is just a very accurate reading of someone's intentions to begin with? and then we are just assuming there is a lifelong pattern of actions?

That's my only guess. We do a read of emotions, and decide someone isn't exactly 'good' and then assume they've always been that way?

I have a feeling that INFJs, while confident of their abilities to judge others' character would do no better than anyone else in a scientific study.

My points:
1) If you look for something you're likely to "find" it.
2) Believing something to be true, regardless of the strength of one's conviction, does not make it true.

Ses, I agree on a logical level. Horoscopes are a nice example of 'if you're looking for something, you'll find it'

That said... I know from life practice I am 99% right about people. All of my closest friends have characters like saints. Numerous people have mentioned I have a great 'evil' detector. Even given people who have made mistakes... I could probably tell you who had a heart of gold, and who doesn't.

I can probably judge intentions, and emotional feedback better than most people. However, even 'good' people make mistakes. And I would never be able to account for that. The very illogical human error in life. So as far as honest screw-ups, no, intuition, for me, does not work there.

to me it's obvious near the beginning of meeting someone. no one else seems to get it... right away, *boom* this woman uses men to get what she wants. or *boom* this person is lying through their teeth.

so why do you think that is king? do you think it is just a very accurate reading of someone's intentions to begin with? and then we are just assuming there is a lifelong pattern of actions?

That's my only guess. We do a read of emotions, and decide someone isn't exactly 'good' and then assume they've always been that way?

Yes, it happens right away! It's part-and-parcel of the first impression. Although I think it depends on how "dangerous" the person is.

It's really hard to rip me off, for example, although loads of people have tried (as they do with anyone). I can tell if someone is trying to scam me almost immediately.

I'm not sure why. I think it has to do with communication. Humans communicate in a lot of ways, and maybe we are better at picking up the non-verbal cues. Not to get too metaphysical, but I think that thoughts have energy as well. If someone's intention is strongly malefic, I think they must be communicating that in some sense and we happen to have the radar to pick that up.

Your guess is probably as good as mine :) :)

Ses, I agree on a logical level. Horoscopes are a nice example of 'if you're looking for something, you'll find it'

That said... I know from life practice I am 99% right about people. All of my closest friends have characters like saints. Numerous people have mentioned I have a great 'evil' detector. Even given people who have made mistakes... I could probably tell you who had a heart of gold, and who doesn't.

I can probably judge intentions, and emotional feedback better than most people. However, even 'good' people make mistakes. And I would never be able to account for that. The very illogical human error in life. So as far as honest screw-ups, no, intuition, for me, does not work there.

In this case then I will turn and run should I ever see you on the street ;)

Wouldn't want anyone knowing that I am <edited! Classified!> and that my true purpose in life is to <edited: Top Secret!!!!>

haha al. i don't pretend to be a mind-reader. just replying to the thread honestly, the only way i know how.

ive never been able to read someone's thoughts. but if they are emotional enough, i can certainly get close. :)

I'm not sure why. I think it has to do with communication. Humans communicate in a lot of ways, and maybe we are better at picking up the non-verbal cues. Not to get too metaphysical, but I think that thoughts have energy as well. If someone's intention is strongly malefic, I think they must be communicating that in some sense and we happen to have the radar to pick that up.

Your guess is probably as good as mine :) :)

I'm guessing non-verbal cues too. I'm glad you've had the same life experience as me! I've never known how to express this tendency of mine. As a young woman, it tends to come across as gossip and idle chatter. As in, 'oh, that guy isn't good for you.' - sort of thing. When in reality, it's quite accurate, both same sex and opposite.

Until recently, I hadn't viewed it as a positive thing. I kind of wanted to just be... like everyone else.

But I've decided that it's more empowering than we give it credit for. Intuition can start and stop many many things in our lives. In some ways, it allows for a deeper connection. In other ways, it prevents a deeper connection. I guess it really depends on the person?

I'd have to say that besides introversion the intuitive part of me is extremely strong, in fact I was just about to post a thread discussing the detection of alterior motives

I'm like Sylar in Heroes haha. Well, I usually won't cut off the top of your head, but whereas Sylar understands what makes people tick, I understand what makes things tick. I've always liked dissassembling and reassembling things.

Glad to see I have some Heroes/Sylar fans here on this forum!

In terms of quantitative evidence, I've scored 100% iNtuition on each retake of the personality test from a few different forums with well-developed percentage systems, and I couldn't agree more. Not sure if this is at all linked directly to intuition, but languages, memorization, and assembling/disassembling things has always come to be effortlessly. Flip side? No details :doh: (to name the specific cognitive process, no Se; I suppose that makes me more INTJ in a sense?). I'd take math tests in Middle/High school, learn the entire thing right there on the quiz, answer ever question "correctly", but maybe forget a negative sign, do a 1 digit subtraction/addition problem wrong, or forget to circle my answer; each little glitch I believe to be related to a lack of extraverted sensing as my supposedly 3rd cognitive process, likely due to 0% S and 100% N :).