How does an INFJ show interest? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

How does an INFJ show interest?

I like to pursue, lol. There's no confusion on anybody's part once I'm interested in someone. (I'm 12yrs old when it comes to that too) That is, I have to realize I'm interested in them first! It took me...a year to realize I was interested in my boyfriend romantically, but boy, once I figured that out I was on him like glue! I'm the same way with platonic friendships. If I like you, I'm going to pursue you. I'm going to want to be friends and stay friends. You'll know if I like you...you'll know if I don't like you. I have no qualms saying what I think about anyone. Brutally honest (for better or for worse!) ftw!

Like this boy told me once: "They either love you or they hate you--there's no in between with TK." :D

I like to pursue, lol. There's no confusion on anybody's part once I'm interested in someone. (I'm 12yrs old when it comes to that too) That is, I have to realize I'm interested in them first! It took me...a year to realize I was interested in my boyfriend romantically, but boy, once I figured that out I was on him like glue! I'm the same way with platonic friendships. If I like you, I'm going to pursue you. I'm going to want to be friends and stay friends. You'll know if I like you...you'll know if I don't like you. I have no qualms saying what I think about anyone. Brutally honest (for better or for worse!) ftw!

Like this boy told me once: "They either love you or they hate you--there's no in between with TK." :D

im brutally honest too. that's the j i think. the f tempers it kind of... as in, i might try to sugarcoat it for you. i did however, tell a girl in 7th grade i hated her. everyone laughed and thought i was being sarcastic... no, i was just being honest.

I'm not brutally honest...but I pursue in a way as well :D I think I might be more subtle about it though-- I think "hunt" would be a better word for it.

I'm like a lioness...I find my prey and identify it, then I carefully circle in closer, patiently...until JUST the right time...

THEN I POUNCE.

1. How would you try to catch the eye of another person?
Usually when I like somebody, I'm too shy to intentionally 'catch their eye'. I might appear "less interested" in the person, unfortunately.

2. How would you respond if they tried to catch your eye?
I'd be awkward? Smile maybe..

3. Is there ever such a thing as too much interest shown by the other party?
Yes, but I like to be sure so some interest is always good.

4. Would you ever ask somebody out before they had demonstrated distinct interest in you?
It depends how much I like the person, and whether I get a vibe that I'm not completely off track. I would only ask somebody if I really, really liked them.

6. Once you have made contact, do you try to define the dating relationship? Or do you go with the flow?
Go with the flow. "Dating" is not my thing. It seems too forced - the best relationships gradually happen and feel natural in progression.

7. What is your opinion on the existence of "love at first sight"?
I'm not convinced...I could debate it though.

8. What is your opinion on gestures of physical affection when in a relationship?
There's appropriate, and then there's inappropriate. Best leave it for private ;)

10. Would you ask your date out again?
Maybe. If it felt right. As a girl though, I do prefer being asked.

11. How would you like to be approached by an interested person?
With honesty and respect. No silly mind games please.

13. What do you do that you consider a "dead give-away" that you like somebody?
I blush. I'm less relaxed around them (unfortunately), and I tend to just do a few things that are generally out of character (one thing I've noticed is that I seem to talk more about myself than I usually would. It's really odd. I think I just get nervous and talk, but I fear that I come off appearing a bit self-centered). Once I'm actually in a relationship, it's fine though - I'm very relaxed.

I've learned a few tricks here :D If I'm trying to catch a person's eye in a lighthearted setting, I'll simply show interest; listen and lean in a bit when they talk, attempt to be warm and open, etc. If it's in a seductive setting (i.e. club ;) I know I don't go anywhere, but it's fun to play on the wild side a little), there's a easy little trick that works fairly well; catch their eye, send a little smile (smirk) with "mysterious" eyes, and then look away (not quickly; calmly). It's small, but it screams invitation ;)

That's where I have problems; it depends on how attractive I find them, I guess. If I'm not interested, I'll simply act as if I don't notice anything. Some people think I'm oblivious; I'm not. A lot of times, a friendship will not move past a friendship if there is obviously no intention beyond that.
If I do find them attractive, I flirt back, although a lot of times it is kind of clumsy lol

Yes.

4. Would you ever ask somebody out before they had demonstrated distinct interest in you?
Nope.

5. Do you take risks in relationships?
Not especially. I take risks in making people interested with me; I flirt a little too much for my own good, sometimes, but it's all in good fun.
Of course, if it's a serious relationship, I would probably be more or less willing depending on what my partner wanted; he's the lead, and most of the time I'll follow (although I have clear boundaries).

6. Once you have made contact, do you try to define the dating relationship? Or do you go with the flow?
Nope. I don't like the commitment straight away. I like it to start light and get heavier as necessary.

Sure. I don't think that'll happen to me, though, because I'm way too reserved from true relationships for that.

8. What is your opinion on gestures of physical affection when in a relationship?
I like affection. I like cuddling. I like the strength in a man's arms ;)
I don't like fondling. I don't like overly sexual connotations. I'm nervous when it feels like he's just looking to "get some."

9. On a first date, how do you usually act?
I don't date unless I'm fairly comfortable with the person, usually. If I didn't know him, it'd probably be extremely awkward :B

NO.
J/k, it would depend on how everything went, and he'd probably have to be the one to ask because I'm always nervous about how the other person thinks of me ("What if he doesn't want to go out again; he'll just think I'm being pushy/ clingy...")

Charisma goes a long way ;) I like someone who is confident and entertaining. Some girls think charming guys are always bad news; I like the playfulness and freedom behind it. If I think he's not being honest with me, I'll know and I'll get rid of him

12. How long does it take for you to decide to date exclusively?
Too long according to most of the guys that have taken an interest.

I'll want to talk to people I'm interested in. I'll usually gravitate or want to gravitate towards them. I might be nervous, and I might try a little too hard, but that depends on whether or not I have to be a deciding factor in the conversation.
It's not really that obvious, though. It's rare for me to be that interested in a guy, I guess :/

And ... for those in current relationships (I'm going to answer these too anyways):

14. How do you keep the relationship going?
I show interest. Once it's going, and once you have me, it's done. I'll do whatever I can to make it with you; I hate letting people down. But there also has to be open, sincere, and honest communication from both sides; I need to know that I'm doing things right because it's too easy for me to get insecure.

15. What challenges do you face in expressing your love?
I'm sometimes afraid that I'm being too clingy or that I'm going too far; I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I can withhold sometimes because of that.

16. What signals should a confused partner look for in order to be assured of continued interest?
If I'm willingly walking up to you and either hugging, leaning on, or holding your hand, you're basically pretty close to me. I have this distinct notion that I shouldn't invade people's space, but when I'm really comfortable with someone I know it's not a problem to. I might be crabby sometimes, I might be moody, I might bitch at you and be a little cynical or a little dark. That means I'm comfortable with my more negative aspects around you; it doesn't mean I don't like you :B (that makes everyone want to be close to me, huh?)
And if you look me in the eye and ask, straight forward, serious, and sincere, whether or not you mean the world to me, I will respond whole-heartedly that I really care for you. That's an absolute sign that I do; if I didn't, I'd beat around the bush a lot. :B

This is an absolutely adorable post. I especially love the final paragraph.

[SIZE=Default]1. How would you try to catch the eye of another person?
I'd make them laugh, I would do something ridiculous and/or funny in correlation to the current situation. The thing is I most often avoid catching someone's attention.

I definitely try and flirt back a little. Tell a little joke, do something funny (but not too funny) and see if they laugh. If they laugh (at something that isn't that funny) it's a green light for me to start and actual conversation.

Of course.

Been there, done that.

I take risks to make the relationship deeper and more meaningful (or fun). I refuse to take risks that put the relationship in jeopardy. That's just selfish!

Go with the flow. I don't think I've ever actually "asked someone out" or what not. More of I'll bring up the subject and ask what they think we are.

Yup, told myself I'd marry that girl someday the first time I saw her.

It's a great thing in private (and personally I enjoy/need it) but for god's sake don't let me see all of your affection.

On the inside I'm riding in a tiny sail boat through a monsoon getting sea sick every five minutes. On the outside I appear calm and try to keep the mood light and humorous.

yeah

I like it when someone comes to talk to me, it takes the guess work away on my part (and i hate guess work). This also means I think a lot of people are interested when they actually decide to talk to me because I am approachable.

I usually know in my mind long before I go on a "first date" (even though I don't really date, just more of hanging out until it progresses to something more) if I am truly interested in the person.

I just know it, it's not like my mind has to tell me. I'm fully aware when I like someone or not. It has to be more than physical attraction. I like the brainy outgoing kinda out there type
[/SIZE]

They will talk to you a lot! If an infj likes you they will talk with you and show a real interest in you as a person. As well as taking care of all your needs as best they can...

This is an absolutely adorable post. I especially love the final paragraph.

Adorable? I suppose I could see that if I turned my head a little and squinted :B But thanks tho ;)

How can someone tell if an INFx (and others Coke et al ;)) is romantically interested?

Disclaimer: Stole topic verbatim from CJ @ INTJf *thanks*

I'm interested to see the differences in responses.

Hard to say, I suppose I would try slightly harder to play up my strengths. I would generally 'probe' the other person a lot more to find out what drives them within -- do my best to get a one on one conversation and hope something sparks off.

Feigned benign disinterest mixed in with interest. I would be hypersensitive to how I was percieved and so would be more likely to ease up and try to be genuinely disinterested despite the 'go' signals. Generally I would still somewhat do 1) -- It depends on whether I find the person interesting or not.

Yes, there can be. I like to be interesting to another person, but a challenge is slightly more satisfying.

If 'out' means 'lets go for coffee'. I would need to first sense that they were 'open' to that sort of thing -- so a small signal is needed.

Sometimes. I've been in a few relationships but not enough to gather any serious data. I'd say if I was in one -- perhaps 'yes'. My ego sometimes drives me to do something risky, just to get rid of the fear of doing so and to avoid the regret of not doing so. If it needs to be done, it will be done -- eventually.

Define it, at least somewhat. I can be both passive and assertive. It depends on whether assertion is needed by my partner or the situation we're in. I'd honestly rather play an excellent support role -- but I thrive on being truly needed (not just being someone's mark) so if nobody will take the reigns on a failing situation -- I certainly will.

I understand the scientific basis of this, and generally believe that it is correct. One should explore his passions to the limit of what is harmful to others and what preserves himself and others. I think this is wonderful, but nothing to be reacted to rashly upon (ie: marriage within the first month of dating is incredibly stupid)

I *love* physical affection. Publically I can handle it, but I prefer private and personal, meaningful displays of physical affection.

Small talk which borders on our interests. I generally act as an intellectual and like debating things under friendly terms. And just hanging out and enjoying the moment, to see how we are together (comfort wise). Either that or at a party or function of some sort and just enjoying it mutually. I would lead her from place to place to sample the bounty of what is possible in the moment and keep things exciting.

Yes. Asking people 'out' isnt such a big deal. Its not a committment to anything is how I see it. Just a way to try a person on and see if they're a good fit -- regardless of the outcome.

Probably the same way that I would approach an interesting person.

Pretty much immediately. I would like to spend my time and thoughts on one girl until I deem that she may not be interested, and it may not work out. I suppose it would be a good method to leave it open and not give it much thought -- so that it develops more naturally -- but I don't date much.

Hard to say. If I make myself vulnerable to you by admitting an insecurity or personality defect you've pretty much entered my inner circle of trust. I feel comfortable enough around you to say that. Most people will never know these things because I will never tell them.

And ... for those in current relationships:

I will set up dates and make an effort to contact you every once in awhile to hang out somewhere. I don't really contact people of my own accord -- so if I contact you -- you can be damned sure I want to see you.

My own ego dislikes talking about feelings, in fact I would prefer not to have them and to experience them so deeply (especially the negative ones) because they're inconvenient and get in the way of my logical side. Not to mention how vulnerable I am to them -- so I will have a hard time admitting to you how special you are to me. If I say I love you -- you can be sure that I mean it with every fabric of my being. I may love you even without saying so, because it can be hard for me to do -- unless I am absolutely sure that I do.

16. What signals should a confused partner look for in order to be assured of continued interest?

That's hard to say. Let me think about that one.
For now, refer to (14).

Last edited:
I uhh... um... I don't know.

I probably wouldn't even notice, I'm far too oblivious.

Yes, but unless you're crazy dysfunctional it'll be hard to cross that line.

Probably not.

Yes but reluctantly. I can get very impatient and make the first move, even though I usually don't want to.

I mostly go with the flow since I've found that my pace is not okay with the vast majority of people. :(

It doesn't exist, there is only lust at first sight. If someone throws an anecdote at me about how blahdeeblahdeeblah married for 50 years then well, I guess they just got lucky. It happens.

I love them. Gimmegimmegimmegimme.
:m107:

Awkward and clumsy and like I'm on a weird kind of autopilot. I likely won't feel much until after when I can process what happened.

If I liked them? I'd prefer if the other person did though.

Someone who can take charge of the encounter while not crossing my speed threshold. In fact that's how I like the whole relationship to be. :tongue:

Not very long. Not long enough, usually.

If I seem really comfortable with someone and I'm opening up to them a lot, especially early on, that's a dead give away.

Lots of eye contact and I'll flash a smile. If I know you well enough, I'll poke fun at you. Sometimes I get a little flustered and hyper and start to make a fool of myself.

I have a hard time believing someone would really be interested in me, so it might take me a while. But, if so, I'll focus more on them and keep doing the eye contact, smiles, and messing with them.

Yes, especially if it's sexual. I can't stand guys that try too hard. Don't follow me like a puppy dog and don't try to touch me all the time.

I've only ever made the first move once and that man is now my husband. He was definitely giving me signals, as shy and unsure as he was.

Depends on what you mean by "risk".

I'll go with the flow, as long as you don't send me mixed signals.

I believe in it. But, I also believe that you don't necessarily know it when it happens. If you don't feel something special the first time you see someone, you probably don't belong with them.

This question is too broad. I don't know what you're getting it.

I'm shy, but I'm always looking to laugh so I'll probably try to find funny things to say to get the conversation flowing.

If I like them and I feel they liked me.

Gently, but with confidence. I despise cocky, vain people. But, if you like me I want you to be able to tell me. Best thing to do is to use humor.

Not long, if I feel that's what I want.

If I respond to your cues. I do not treat people rudely, so if you give me cues and I don't like you, I won't be mean about it. But, I will try to steer you to the "friends" area. If I like you, I will focus on you and listen to everything you have to say and lots of eye contact.

And ... for those in current relationships:

Open communication, honesty, and trust. Constantly think about how your actions could affect the one you love. If you know it will hurt them, don't do it.

My way of expressing love is very different from my husband's. Sometimes I feel like an object and my husband feels like he's disgusting. That's why you have to keep the lines of communication open at all times.

If I continue to or try to spend as much time with you as possible. If I try to communicate with you, like phone, email, text, in-person. If I'm not interested, I'll tell you. I don't like leading people on - that's a form of dishonesty.

When I do meet someone I do like I close off imedatily, because I become fearful that they will not reciprocate, and I do NOT want them to be unconfortable at all by me liking them. Mostly because if a guy likes me, and I don't like them back in that way. I will avoid them at ALL costs.

This is me to a T.

I doubt people know if I am interested in them at all. When I do meet someone I do like I close off imedatily, because I become fearful that they will not reciprocate, and I do NOT want them to be unconfortable at all by me liking them. Mostly because if a guy likes me, and I don't like them back in that way. I will avoid them at ALL costs. I talk to them more in the hopes they will say something back. I never meet other guys who I know for a fact are gay so this is very fleeting for me. I may want to, but I will not approach a guy in this way unless I know 100% they are gay.

UGH i do this too. the more i am attracted to someone, the more i close off when they are physically around. this usually happens with people i'm only beginning to be acquainted with.

it may come off to them as if i am disinterested in them, but really it is a cautionary stance and emotional guard to prevent myself from acting out my inner convictions too rashly. perhaps it is also to align inner and outer perceptions as a form of grounding myself on real potential instead of riding on idealistic possibilities.

when i am attracted to someone, it is definite and honest. i am direct in pursuit given the circumstances, however it may be awhile before i verbalize my feelings. usually the pursuit means finding ways to acquaint with him/her and consistently (but not constantly) communicating with them. usually it will be obvious, yet not directly stated.

I'll try to answer the questions to my best ability. But, we'll see how that will really go.

I hope this may help in some way!

I wouldn't. Not at all, ever.
Nervous. Shy. Anxious. But all in a pretty flirty, yet nerdy way. I'm sure
Yeaaah. But I definitely do it too.
Hell no! That involves a lot of exposure that I'm not willing to go through! Too much risky business!
If I'm with the right person that wants to try to get me to be more adventurous. But maybe those aren't the risks you are talking about.
Eventually I like a clear indicator that yes, we are in-fact in a dating relationship. Not being able to categorize this confuses me and leaves me a little lost about the other person's intentions.
Hehe. No thanks. Unless we met in the collective unconscious.
I love them to death. Especially the unexpected ones from your parter that surprise you and make you feel absolutely loved.
Nervous, anxious. But in a flirty way. (Noticing a pattern?)
I might, but I'd have to do a lot of thinking and ruminating about whether I think they would want to.
Hm. That is hard to say exactly.. I suppose if they show any sort of appreciation for the person that I am right off the bat, (ie, "I really like your thoughts on this) the hook would definitely be in my mouth.
Eh, awhile. I really demand a pretty meaningful relationship when dating exclusively. So much so that I don't really even mess around just for fun outside of exclusive relationships. Even the physical aspects mean worlds to me, and I don't want to waste that on someone that isn't going to "get" it.
Well, I'm generally a pretty nervous person but... I feel that there is a certain je ne sais pas that I give off when I like someone. Maybe just a nearly infinite amount of patience and care?

Last edited:

Aye~I don't do that kinda stuff. :D It's hard to catch MY attention. I'm either aloof, not always looking at people as "potential romantic mates", or too shy...

I'd either be repelled (if obnoxious, unintelligent), or gently ignore if I am not interested, or blush and pretend like nothing's happening. Actually, sometimes i'm so aloof and naiive that I don't even notice.

Hmm, sometimes. If you count aggressively seeking attention. There was once this guy who called me every night asking for the hw. Oh dear, that totally killed it.

Never. I'm not the type to go around begging...I have my own pride and feel that I should be appreciated, not scorned at. I also don't fall in love that easily. I'm picky. BUT if I feel like there is someone worth the effort (that would take a lot) I think I might reconsider.

Nope. I make sure i'm positive about certain things. Although my heart is a flighty thing when it's in love, my mind is like iron. I keep my heart in line and let it go when I can justify giving my all.

6. Once you have made contact, do you try to define the dating relationship?
Or do you go with the flow?

I definitely do this. Though as an "F", I don't scorn my feelings and know they're important, my mind is something I trust more. I'd like to know whether things would work out or not or if we're compatible. Though I live in a world of idealistic love, I know that we've got to be down-right honest about these kind of things.

I actually believed in this once...but I can't exactly say yes or no as of now. I think many people who do believe in it, is drawn into it by infatuation and not "love at first sight." But i'm open minded enough to consider there being something inexplicable about a "spiritual" connection with someone. Of course, very, very, rare...but in some way, I believe many things are possible.

Overt, constant affection can be numbing---it loses it's specialness if you're constantly smothered. But physical affection is nice! :) But I tend to be shy about it. My partner would have to push forward with that.

Bubbly, giggly, bright...truly interested in getting to know the person. I'd be a bit shy with any physical affection. But i'd generally be very pleasant.

Yes. I'm highly intuitive so i'd be able to snuff out if things could really work out between us. So, there'd be nothing awkward about that since he'd agree with me. I'm not afraid of doing such things when i'm sure about it.

Not aggressively, not too flirtatiously (I think people who flirt too much can be potential cheaters...no offense. :D), but sweetly and subtly---kinda mysteriously. Physical compliments won't sweep me off my feet. I look for some kind of connection. If we can get into an intellectual conversation off the bat and am charmed, it's a great start.

Hmm...after several dates? <---if i'm not sure. But if I get this feeling that we'd be a great match and I really like them, it'd be immediately.

Blush (terrible...I wish I didn't!), have a hard time with eye-contact (i'm normally a really good person with that. But when I get self-conscious or nervous, I look down), may be sound a little clipped and curt...even a little cold.

i don't think they do but youll know by their looks if they don't like you
and if you ask out an infj and they arn't intested they will let you down gently and won't hurt you

[SIZE=Default]1. How would you try to catch the eye of another person?
Just be being myself. Usually I don't even notice what I'm doing to attract attention.

If I even noticed it would be "Wow, she's looking at me!" followed by "What should I do?"

Yes. I remember this one girl who I was terrified that I would someday be walking up to my dormroom from class and see her staring at me through my window. Needless to say, she creeped me out :p. Clinginess can get on my nerves as well.

No. I prefer to take notice first. Now, making awkward attempts on eye-flirting is another story ;)

I used to and that hurt me dearly. These days, I try to make sure I am ok with every foreseeable aspect of the upcoming relationship.

6. Once you have made contact, do you try to define the dating relationship?
Or do you go with the flow?

I used to be driven strictly by my feelings and this INTP girl used the hell out of me. Now, I try listen to reason and set boundaries to avoid being harmed.

I'm not sure that "love at first sight" exists, but I do believe in the possibility of forming a strong connection when first meeting someone.

Too much physical affection can get very old and stale if it isn't followed by emotional affection. Indeed, I'd rate emotional affection to be much higher as it provides the most support in the long-run.

Quietly confident but not so much that it seems like bravado, genuinely interested in everything about her, witty.

If I thought it was going somewhere, yes.

"Hey, what's up?" would do. Simplicity is good.

If I get the feeling after a few dates that it would work out then I am willing to date that person exclusively. Only if she explicitly agrees though.

Blush (yes, I am a guy and I proudly admit that I blush), shy eye contact, positioning myself around so she is the center of my attention
[/SIZE]