How do you know someone is INFP? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

How do you know someone is INFP?

If I get an asshole or bitchy "vibe", sometimes I will suspect someone of being an INFP. Especially if they are trying to "prove" shit to me.

Yeah, I've noticed some people who claim to be INFPs to be very argumentative and trying to "prove" their point and their competence all the time. :/ I guess that could be an INFP weakness, then... but this is based solely on Internet communication with those who CLAIM to be INFPs, so it may be a very distorted view.

I confess that I have also acted in a "bitchy", provocative and argumentative way on the internet, and my conscious motive has been to reflect the irritating behaviour of those that I'm discussing with, so that they could notice how irritating *they* are. To my understanding they have totally missed my point...

I have also become bitchy when I have felt cornered and mistreated. Usually it takes very long for me to get angry and stand up for myself-- it may take years of something that I experience as emotional abuse-- but when the line is crossed, I can become like a bull who's being teased with a red cloth...

Do other potential INFPs confess to this kind of behaviour? :S If so, can you analyse what you were thinking when you did this?

@ Kaipus: I think crying in front of friends all depends on how close a friend they are. If you're just friendly acquaintances then crying in front of them would probably have been a bit of a "too much-too soon" situation.

If you're really close though then I think it's fine to cry in front of them, depending on the friend they might even appreciate the emotional honesty (plus helping friends feel better is always a great feeling).

Bear in mind though that some people are better at and more comfortable with emotional displays than others.

Thank you for the feedback! I guess the problem is that I never get so close to anyone that I could cry in front of them... and a second problem is that I can easily become teary and it is hard for me to hold back my tears, so it takes up quite a lot of energy to hide my emotions...

If I get an asshole or bitchy "vibe", sometimes I will suspect someone of being an INFP. Especially if they are trying to "prove" shit to me.
I've not met a single INFP who I'd consider having a "bitchy" or "asshole" vibe. Maybe it's just a type incompatiblity thing.

If I have a person take the MBTI test and they type as an INFP then I know for sure... Well pretty sure...

yes I can see how the way I typed it inicially caused you to think that was what I meant.

I also said that he was the only INFP that I had to go by and others might be quite different... I was just trying to acknowledge that some of the behaviors were more of an INFP nature such as being idealistic and sensitive while recieving messages from his external environment that were not necessarily the case. I have been under the impression that some INFP's give off an anxious energy and I could pick up on this as there was almost a panicky tone to his voice. However, I thought he had lovely qualities as well. I found him to be very kind and sensitive, interested in me and in my day, and he cared about how I was feeling about things too. My thoughts on him were not completely negative, and I am sorry if I portrayed aspects an INFP in a souly negative light. I can see that I only detailed negative characteristics that interperated of him and that I didn't include the positives. I will remember in future to include them as well should I ever discuss him again and hopefully I didn't offend you :m161:
No, I wasn't offended. I just wasn't clear on what you were trying to say.

I love how people bitch about being bitchy. I think it's so selfish, to properly describe the world we live in we must use positive and negative language. We must compliment and complain. Some people just can't handle these complaints and call everyone bitchy, it's pure selfishness.

Don't get me wrong, it is possible for someone to complain too much, or to make too big a deal of something. Just the same way it is possible for someone to be so positive, they ignore all the negative. The important thing is balance people. If you have a balance you can turn the complaining around and balance it out, find a positive solution for it.

By complaining about the bitchiness you become the very thing you hate, and make the situation worse. Most of the time people complain they have a good reason to do so, listen to them and help them, don't complain back.

*this complaint about complainers who complain about complaining was brought to you by Goatman455

I recognize infps by the pictures of fairies and conspiracy theories. Women gravitate more towards the fairies and men more towards the conspiracy theories, although they both seem to do both.

Grew out of them, hm? I guess we can't expect people to be interested in the same fairies their whole life. Maybe you just aren't looking at the right kind of fairies though.

Here is a good start for you:
http://faeriemagick.com/believe/different-kinds-of-faeries/

If this is too difficult and confrontational I can try to find something with more pictures.

It's kind of strange to me how even mbti has it's own ridiculous stereotypes. It's weird, people will use anything to be jackasses..

That's right, MBTI was created by the Illuminati for just that purpose.

It wasn't created for that purpose, obviously. But small minded people enjoy embracing stereotypes.

Your post was a good example.

lol really? Haha, if you think someone asking for clarification is "bitchy" then it's no wonder you're having so much trouble with these "INFPs" of yours.
happy0039.gif

Maybe it's a difference in meaning between the UK and the Sates, but I'd consider "bitchy" to mean someone who gossips about people behind their back, or plays office politics and stuff like that.

I can honestly say I have never encountered a single INFP either IRL or on the net who engages in that kind of behaviour, in my experience it's a complete anathema to us (primary Fi and all that).

Well since I was considering the possibility of me being an INFP I googled for some comparisons between INFJs and INFPs and found a site where somebody (who happens to be INFJ I think) has put together a few documents on the subject. The site takes a bit of sifting through but I found it pretty useful.

I think this is the page I started on.
http://www.infjorinfp.com/docs/AcceptOrOrganize.htm

Last edited:
lol really? Haha, if you think someone asking for clarification is "bitchy" then it's no wonder you're having so much trouble with these "INFPs" of yours.
happy0039.gif

Maybe it's a difference in meaning between the UK and the Sates, but I'd consider "bitchy" to mean someone who gossips about people behind their back, or plays office politics and stuff like that.

I can honestly say I have never encountered a single INFP either IRL or on the net who engages in that kind of behaviour, in my experience it's a complete anathema to us (primary Fi and all that).

I just want to clarify that I didn't mean gossiping or back-stabbing when I confessed to having sometimes behaved in a bitchy way. I meant just being very critical, argumentative and provocative, telling unpleasant truths etc. And saying rude things like "it's no use talking to you, it would just make me lose my temper".

I don't think you can classify an entire type by being "bitchy" or because they like conspiracy theories. I know a lot of people from a lot of different types that could be described as such.

Let's get some actual descriptions.

From my experience, which is somewhat more limited with INFPs than with other NF types, INFPs tend to be quiet but have a sort of charge to them. They do seem melancholy to me, but not helpless; many genuinely seem to care about the well-being of others. Some can seem a little lost in their own world, though, and I've met a few that almost seem to be oblivious to society. Many also have an attitude, which isn't necessarily to say they are irritating or anything, but if you get an INFP mad, you'll probably know it.

Well since I was considering the possibility of me being an INFP I googled for some comparisons between INFJs and INFPs and found a site where somebody (who happens to be INFJ I think) has put together a few documents on the subject. The site takes a bit of sifting through but I found it pretty useful.

I think this is the page I started on.
http://www.infjorinfp.com/docs/AcceptOrOrganize.htm

God dammit, I clicked next and this totally makes me sound like an infp now that I've thought about it.

http://www.infjorinfp.com/docs/PreferredCommunicationStyle.htm

Excuse me while I go draw fairies.

Edit: I have purposefully developed a certain style of writing and communication for certain subjects, but it didn't come naturally to me at all. It came through study and imitation, and it is a skill I can employ well in various situations. Still, I am trying to think of the times when I asked for something in my personal life and they are all coming out as informing, even though I wasn't thinking of myself that way. Some of the time I ended up being misinterpreted and I didn't know why, but the reason must be because I didn't direct at all. On the other hand, if I had JUST directed during those situations people would have been angry with me.

Last edited: