How do you know someone is INFP? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

How do you know someone is INFP?

Don't worry if this was Irl I wouldn't even make eye contact.

What may be more important is to know you've actually spotted an INFP and not an ISFP.... Very hard to tell the two apart, if you are not one of them (and even some of them can't tell which one they are :p - I blame this on negative sensor stereotypes).

What may be more important is to know you've actually spotted an INFP and not an ISFP.... Very hard to tell the two apart, if you are not one of them (and even some of them can't tell which one they are :p - I blame this on negative sensor stereotypes).

[MENTION=796]orangeappled[/MENTION] What would you say are the major differences between the two types?

In Gifts Differing, it says that ISFPs are more painfully aware of the differences between their Fi ideals and reality because their extroverted function is Se. They may also feel more helpless to affect reality, not perceiving the future possibilities as easily.

However, it also says both Fi-doms will find it very important to develop their iNtuition to express Fi, because our feelings are very difficult to put accurately into words, and N creates "new" ways to express (often why we're drawn to the arts - its creative expression). Because of this, I think many ISFPs develop their tertiary Ni more than or earlier than many other people develop their tertiary function.

So looking at the functions....
INFP: Fi Ne Si Te
ISFP: Fi Se Ni Te

You can see that the perceiving functions, being "back to back", may make it difficult to tell each apart. Healthy INFPs tend to see several innovative ways to improve on what exists or has been - they are inspired by what could be & will find creative ways to get there. Healthy ISFPs tend to have quick insights on how to alter the present situation - they are inspired by what is immediately possible. Both are striving to see an ideal made into a reality.

Unhealthy ISFPs may become very negative about the future - they will be keenly aware of what is wrong and not see any way for it to improve, being paranoid that it will only get worse. It's a Fi-Ni loop, which looks like complaining and giving up. Unhealthy INFPs may dwell on negative past feelings, so that they are blind to possibilities (Fi-Si loop) - which looks like complaining and giving up. Do you see how the two types are easily confused?

Okay, now to paint a picture of where we diverge....even then, you have to look at the person as a whole and not get hung up on details which can fall back on stereotypes (He skateboards - he must be ISFP! She reads a lot - she's INFP!). Try to determine mindset. You'll get a sense of the idealistic, sensitive Fi core, but consider how it is being related to the external, and how that person tends to see & interact with the external world, not the feelings of their inner world.

I typed this on another board, and I'm just going to copy + paste (with a few edits) because I am a lazy P after all :p

ME said:
Regarding similarities, BOTH types may seem cranky/moody on the surface, or they may seem generally "nice" but in a calm, reserved way. BOTH types may have artistic skill or musical talent. BOTH types may enjoy the abstract or offbeat, as Fi is very abstract & offbeat in itself. BOTH types may seem a little strange. BOTH types will have strong feelings & "causes" that are important to them. I think a lot of this boils down to Fi seeking expression externally & having to get creative to do so, and Fi warmth being hidden at times....

So it comes down to differences in Se (Ni) & Ne Si)....

ISFP: Se is more focused on the immediate moment, using the 5 senses to channel their ideals & imagination into tangible expressions. Even in their altruistic endeavors they seem more hands-on and take-action, with a view to immediate results. They seem to relate their feelings more directly to experience which makes them less... "romantic" shall we say; but there's also less extrapolation to understand foreign feelings. Probably why they don't get the "healer" stereotype INFPs get. They seem to have to know something first-hand to really empathize and may distrust the hypothetical, which narrows their sympathies, but their Feeling may also come out in more "practical" ways through doing things for people instead of healing other people's emotional inner life.

Their Fi may be more difficult to express, because Fi is rather abstract in itself, but Se isn't, and the ISFP has to reconcile the two. The INFP has an abstract outlet to use. I think this encourages a kind of innovation in ISFPs, and forces them to access their tertiary Ni, that often leads to so many of them being original & creative artists, and of course Se will help with being in-tune with the physical materials & hands-on skill needed.

I also know ISFPs with "causes" like an NF, but the approach is very different - it's kind of on ground level, content to start small and work up slowly, because Se connects to reality better. They may see things on a less "global" scale than a local one - ideals are applied to what is relatable to their first-hand world, the people they know, the experiences they've had. However, the ideas can be pretty noble, from my perspective.

Having Se to anchor them in reality, ISFPs may seem more comfortable with extroverting positive emotion & come off "warmer" externally, as Fi has a more grounded channel. They may also have more hedonistic tendencies, have a harder time grasping or less interest in theory/the conceptual (READ: not fun "fantasy" stuff, which many ISFPs seem to like, but complex bookish theory; intelligence also goes a long way in this regard), and be less articulate in writing than an INFP.

INFP: Ne is more future-oriented, sees patterns & what is not visible on the surface, detects hidden meaning, and forms theories/concepts/ideas from this with fuel from Fi (or vice verse). With both Fi and Ne being detached from the reality of the moment, the imagination really rules. The past is seen as more of a reference point so as to see what has been done so as to do it differently & improve it (Ne Si), & the present merely implies possibilities.

INFPs tend to seek more quixotic means of expression than an ISFP, be it through their moral causes or creating stories or making art to convey their idealistic visions. Because the INFP does extrapolate their feelings and apply it metaphorically, it gives the feelings a universal application in the form of ideals, and we relate easier to foreign feelings. We may find ourselves able to advise people surprisingly well in areas where we have no personal experience. We'll also express ourselves in conceptual terms, whereas ISFPs have converted those inner ideals into simpler, more realistic, concrete statements of what they see as good. On MBTI boards, you'll see a trend in INFP posts being longer and expressing feelings as concepts. INFPs may also grasp underlying meaning & value more easily, and ISFPs may grasp practical value more easily.

Theory can be trusted by the INFP over experience because of this; experience is too limited for the INFP, and it always falls short of this vision of perfection. That's where the idealistic mindset comes in. The idealistic mindset, difficulty in expressing Fi in "ordinary" ways, and Ne innovation will certainly give INFPs an edge in the arts and other creative pursuits. INFPs are also said to have a special feel for rhythm because of Ne-aux creating/perceiving patterns easily.

INFPs tend to be less action-oriented, but they may take action after their ideas have incubated for awhile; and they're more likely to accomplish their objective by simply communicating their ideas, because the idea is an end unto itself (hence the tendency to write). Often, when INFPs do act, they may appear to accomplish a lot out of nowhere in very little time - it's because much of the battle is fought in our head. Once the idea is polished, we either lose interest in seeing it through or make it happen ASAP. Small steps can feel limiting to someone who is dreaming in such a global format, so we might prefer to spend time stringing ideas together to make a large difference at once. We deal best in the background, one-on-one, because we are individual-oriented and reaching people as individuals makes sense to us, as opposed to Fe which seems to be more skilled at influencing a group.

INFPs, channeling Fi through Ne, may seem more aloof on the surface, because Ne is also detached a bit. I think INFPs, when extroverting, seem more "wacky". Being less hands-on than ISFPs, they may lag in technical skill if not in creativity, but an INFP also will want to be "perfect" in what they value. INFPs tend to have a stronger perfectionist side, because they see the many ways things could be better very easily. ISFPs may be more accepting of the present or display a more defeatist attitude being more in touch with concrete reality, but INFPs note flaws with the idea they can someday, somehow be improved, because the possibilities are endless.

Anyone watch the British big brother this year?

I think john James is a clear cut case of an infp.