How do people (mis)type you? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

How do people (mis)type you?

I'm going to cautiously reply "at least that's my impression of the impression I give." :p
Then let me tell you bluntly (though not unkindly) that the impressions we have of the impressions we give are rarely accurate. But the more we learn about who we are, and also accept who we are, the more secure we become in our self-image :)

Then let me tell you bluntly (though not unkindly) that the impressions we have of the impressions we give are rarely accurate. But the more we learn about who we are, and also accept who we are, the more secure we become in our self-image :)

Completely agree.

Strange though, I could have sworn you wondered about whether I might be INTP for a while. Anyway, wrong impression :)

Completely agree.

Strange though, I could have sworn you wondered about whether I might be INTP for a while. Anyway, wrong impression :)
Nah, no Ne. If I did, then I hadn't got that yet.

Nah, no Ne. If I did, then I hadn't got that yet.

I would agree with that, yes. I don’t use Ne very much/often. I think it's a quick way to determine that I'm not a P.

This leads to an interesting question, linked to the OP. @Free and @jkxx in particular mentioned this tendency that Ni can have of bouncing around and derailing in its own way. Does that suggest that it could be confused for Ne in real life – by people who maybe only have a casual interest in MBTI?

This could maybe explain the ENFP mistype.

I would agree with that, yes. I don’t use Ne very much/often. I think it's a quick way to determine that I'm not a P.

This leads to an interesting question, linked to the OP. @Free and @jkxx in particular mentioned this tendency that Ni can have of bouncing around and derailing in its own way. Does that suggest that it could be confused for Ne in real life – by people who maybe only have a casual interest in MBTI?

Ne and Ni have the same capabilities, but Ni focuses deeper on a smaller range, while Ne notices the whole spectrum. Learned that recently.

Edit: While ENTPs use Ti (for example) to jump around in the spectrum, Ni users jump around on their own using their individually wired association chains.

Last edited:
While ENTPs use Ti (for example) to jump around in the spectrum, Ni users jump around on their own using their individually wired association chains.

This instantly evokes many Skype conversations with @Lady Jolanda :p

I guess I've gotten a decent bit of INTP...but really whether you take my persona or my thinking style, neither seems to me to fit that.

Even my caution in thinking doesn't seem T-dom-ish at all. It's much more free-spirited bouncing around, making different people's cases for them just to build up the strongest version of each argument, not dismissing views too quickly, making sure I hit the main idea conceptually, and so on.

And my persona is stereotypically nervous, warm, long analytical rants, easily distracted. Manifestly terrible sensation/walking around with low awareness of surroundings. Grossly impractical + can only do what interests me at the moment.

I guess I've gotten a decent bit of INTP...but really whether you take my persona or my thinking style, neither seems to me to fit that.

Even my caution in thinking doesn't seem T-dom-ish at all. It's much more free-spirited bouncing around, making different people's cases for them just to build up the strongest version of each argument, not dismissing views too quickly, making sure I hit the main idea conceptually, and so on.

I remember myself casually musing, "charlatan is such a warm and free-spirited INTP". lol!

But with the benefit of hindsight and a fair few exchanges, I think Ne-Ti does make much more sense. It's clear that you do not prioritise adhering to any particular "Ti framework" in your thinking, favoring exploring a variety of standpoints/theoretical horizons instead. I must say that it makes for very pleasant intellectual discussions.

And my persona is stereotypically nervous, warm, long analytical rants, easily distracted. Manifestly terrible sensation/walking around with low awareness of surroundings. Grossly impractical + can only do what interests me at the moment.

You sound like a fun person to hang out with, and I mean this without the least irony :)

Ren said:
It's clear that you do not prioritise adhering to a particular "Ti framework" in your thinking

Yeah, never felt I really did that either. I think it kind of depends on the person -- I think some find my thinking really exhausting :) like, what is your view already?!

And when thinking about typology, I must have learned about a crazy number of different interpretations, come up with a bunch of my own, etc, and am very tentative about my final one. But I think what I am pretty definite about is what the weaknesses are. In terms of positives, I'm appreciative but frequently noncommittal.

And I honestly don't think my problems are around the F-function (particularly as I'm probably a N-subtype not even T-subtype). It feels basically childlike (I tend to dodge deeper value/meaning questions beyond feeling affection for loved ones/pretty much any nice person) but solid on essentials in vibe. S is absolutely terrible, unambiguously.

I must say that it makes for very pleasant intellectual discussions.

Same here about you! My pet peeve is people who don't really take the effort to try to discuss/clarify/represent others' views fairly especially if having a kind of dogmatic thinking.

I really appreciate anyone who tries it. I always do, and if I fail it's always because I can't pay attention for long periods, but that's easily rectified -- just clarify for me and I'll say "oh, OK, makes sense now"

You sound like a fun person to hang out with, and I mean this without the least irony :)

Yay, thanks! I swear this must be the minority, because I seem to do a combo of exhaust + bore LOL.
Bore because my emotions are kind of simpleminded, a combination of negativity/fear, warmth, and excitement....and my thought process can seem exhausting to some

@Ren

This definitely makes sense too although I can't tell why yet - maybe it could be some weird bridge between N and Te where the latter feeding into N causes what appears to be an emphasis on the outside world - but also I like the Fe explanation for this better since that is already a more forward function in the stack for INFJs.

@Ginny
Ne and Ni have the same capabilities, but Ni focuses deeper on a smaller range, while Ne notices the whole spectrum. Learned that recently.

Edit: While ENTPs use Ti (for example) to jump around in the spectrum, Ni users jump around on their own using their individually wired association chains.

Totally agree, that might as well say weird association chains too - yesterday had a (few hour long) conversation with a friend which went from metaphysics to quantum mechanics to astrology to random other stuff that would have made a "normal" person's head explode.

@Ren
This instantly evokes many Skype conversations with @Lady Jolanda :p

Now if these are anything like what I just described that is awesome. :)

@charlatan
Manifestly terrible sensation/walking around with low awareness of surroundings.

Same here about you! My pet peeve is people who don't really take the effort to try to discuss/clarify/represent others' views fairly especially if having a kind of dogmatic thinking.

I have rambled here about my own lack of awareness of my surroundings so can relate here. But yes, dogmatic thinking has been the thing to set me back the most, my own as well as that displayed by family and community so it's become a longstanding goal to keep an eye on it at all times...

If people mistype me I just tell them they're wrong and my actual type is space coyote anyway

Spaced* coyote sometimes

Spaced* coyote sometimes

a1027055955_7.jpg

Spyote? No, that sounds more like you're a secret agent.

15.jpg