How do people (mis)type you?

Ren

Seeker at heart
Oct 10, 2017
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi everyone!

Have you ever noticed patterns in how people type you, both online and offline? In particular, what type(s) that aren’t your actual type do you sometimes get identified with, and based on what observations? It would also be interesting to figure out the logic behind these patterns.

I’ll begin with myself. In real life my most common mistype is ENFP. Online, I would presume it is INTP, or INTJ. I think the difference comes from the fact that real life is more “spontaneous” and I can be quite chatty and tongue-in-cheek in those contexts, or at least I have learned to be so. Online, I ponder and (over)think more, and my rational side is probably way more visible as a result.

Okay, your turn ;)

When my friend says I'm kind of like Sean Bean
e7Rww2v.gif

Last edited:
In real life I'm mistyped as INTP and online I've gotten just about everything. IRL, I think mostly due to learning how to draw boundaries and not be an emotional sponge causes me to be mistyped by others who expect something else. I don't know. I am emotionally reserved in contrast to the stereotypical woman.

Online, because I just don't have time for anything.

No one ever mistakes me for an extrovert.

Nobody ever types me in real life, and this is pretty much the only online site where I write, so I don't really know how I might be mistyped. However, if I'm talking about a fascinating subject, usually something philosophical, I might be mistaken for an INTP or INTJ, partly because I've had a lot of INTJ friends and because I'm too familiar with suppressing Fe. With xNFPs I can perhaps be more spontaneous in the way they are (that is, not like "let's get drunk and vomit from the top of the town hall yeeeaah!" but more like "let's have cocoa and go hug trees and look at polypores yeeeaeawoohooeeaah!")..... or maybe after I've pondered the situation a bit and made a firm decision to be spontaneous.

Well, more commonly people mistype me as being a bit strange.
When they get to know me they see that I'm normal after all...
but in some ways even stranger than they thought.
A part of that strangeness is simply that I tend to smile a lot, having fun in my head, while also being very introverted. Apparently people here aren't used to seeing anyone being happy without an obvious social context. But I can be happy simply seeing another human being (or a tree).
And the strangeness I exhibit is merely weird looking algae in a sea of normality which actually is a home for myriad creatures with transparent tentacles, iridescent claws, or fins that glow in the night.
I don't know how that would affect the way people type me though.

Well, more commonly people mistype me as being a bit strange.

That certainly makes two of us. :sweatsmile:

I have the phenomenon of Fe suppression as well when I discuss certain things. How do you feel it manifests in you?

ve the phenomenon of Fe suppression as well when I discuss certain things. How do you feel it manifests in you?
I guess there are two ways to answer this. Commonly Fe is perceived as simply expressing emotions clearly, and while there's probably correlation between extroverted feeling and expressiveness, that's not really how I understand the function. After all, those INTJ friends of mine can also be pretty expressive at times.

More importantly, suppressing my Fe means that I start to focus on the abstract side of things rather than how I could truly help people. Sometimes it means I get too philosophical, but it can also mean that I become too analytical discussing someone's problems, focusing too much on a dilemma on a more objective level and trying to find the points of incoherence which, when located, might actually help the person. The Fe is still there, trying to understand someone, wanting to help, wanting to connect, directing my interest, but its tender voice is drowned out by the huge booming machinery that keeps analysing how consistent the arguments are. While it may be helpful at times... well, sometimes people just need a hug, nothing more.

ENTJ and ENFP irl
Online, INFJ or ENFJ
I'm suspect because I am quite sociable for an INFJ, so I'm mistaken for an extrovert. What these folks do not realize is that I'm exhausted after entertaining them, but rich with their smiles and laughter. :D

It's funny because I've been "mistyped" as both an extrovert and a "thinker" of sorts, though people irl aren't generally familiar with mbti so I'm speaking in general terms.
And then when people really get to know me they figure out I'm not really either of those things :sweatsmile:

I've also had people peg me as arrogant and scary and all sorts of weird things. I think it's just because I am sort of closed off to people at first.

I've also had people peg me as arrogant and scary and all sorts of weird things. I think it's just because I am sort of closed off to people at first.
First impression of scary? Yes. Arrogant? Lolwut? No. :grin:

That certainly makes two of us. :sweatsmile:
That's not mistyping, that's simply true. :wink:

ENTJ and ENFP irl
Online, INFJ or ENFJ
I'm suspect because I am quite sociable for an INFJ, so I'm mistaken for an extrovert. What these folks do not realize is that I'm exhausted after entertaining them, but rich with their smiles and laughter. :D
Yes, you do seem very Fe-heavy! :blush:

Anyway, yes, I have noticed a pattern to how people (mis)type me: Their own (mis)understanding of the MBTI is one clear variable, another is my state of mind and hence how I present myself outwardly, and yet another is their own type.

My friends in highschool (ENFP, INFP & ISFJ) typed me as INTP.
My friends in my bachelor studies (never typed them) typed me as INTJ.
My INTP friend typed me as INFJ.
My INFP friend also typed me as INFJ, because "Only us NFs can read people so clearly and are so caring about people." :tearsofjoy:
My INTP ex typed me as an ENFJ. :tearsofjoy:
My ENFP friend typed me as a fellow ENFP. "Only we are so associative, so openminded and so emotional and logical at the same time." :tearsofjoy: He's been trying to convince me I'm a feeler for years.

Arrogant? Lolwut? No. :grin:

I tend to start speaking in an exaggerative manner when I'm really into a subject so I think that's where that comes from :sweatsmile:

My friends in highschool (ENFP, INFP & ISFJ) typed me as INTP.
My friends in my bachelor studies (never typed them) typed me as INTJ.
My INTP friend typed me as INFJ.
My INFP friend also typed me as INFJ, because "Only us NFs can read people so clearly and are so caring about people." :tearsofjoy:
My INTP ex typed me as an ENFJ. :tearsofjoy:
My ENFP friend typed me as a fellow ENFP. "Only we are so associative, so openminded and so emotional and logical at the same time." :tearsofjoy: He's been trying to convince me I'm a feeler for years.

Ok so we have: INTP, INTJ, INFJ, ENFJ, and ENFP. We got the E, the N, the T and the P. ENTP is the solution to the riddle!

Arrogant no, wiley maybe. :wink:

@Ren you tell me fancy pants. :p

ENFJ 5w9

I don't have any friends IRL (aside from HP) who care about MBTI, so no real life mistyping.

Online someone said I "looked like an ISTP" once, based on a pic I posted of myself. :tearsofjoy:

I think you look more INTPish to be honest :D Incidentally, how much % would you score on S on the basic MBTI tests which we know are flawed etc. etc.?

I have 2-3 friends IRL who are very familiar with MBTI, and others who have a more basic, test-based understanding of it. The former are the only ones who see me as INFJ really (through identifying that I'm an Ni user, mostly). The others just look at the ENFP memes and say "weird! crazy! up in the clouds! yes that's totally you!" lol. I guess the INFJ memes are more about wanting to save the world without being known, which isn't really me, or else at a very intellectual level.

I think you look more INTPish to be honest :D Incidentally, how much % would you score on S on the basic MBTI tests which we know are flawed etc. etc.?

Haha well in that particular pic I had a rather grouchy look on my face, which I suppose may have signaled the "porcupine" ISTP trait. :sweatsmile:

In tests that measure N / S I usually score around 70% / 30%, which is about what one would expect for an INTP. My personality characteristics are a much better fit for Ne/Si than Se/Ni.

ENTJ and ENFP irl
Online, INFJ or ENFJ

ENTJ is fascinating. Like, how? What do you think induces people to think you're an Fi-inferior? Your Fe is so strong!

On the other hand, that would have given @Pin a fellow ENTJ to compete converse with. :wink:

Haha well in that particular pic I had a rather grouchy look on my face, which I suppose may have signaled the "porcupine" ISTP trait. :sweatsmile:

That's a trait of ISTPs, really? Strange, look at how adorable and huggable Clint looks here:

gran-1-540x350.png