How do people (mis)type you? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How do people (mis)type you?

ENTJ is fascinating. Like, how? What do you think induces people to think you're an Fi-inferior? Your Fe is so strong!

On the other hand, that would have given @Pin a fellow ENTJ to compete converse with. :wink:
I think @Ren that when I'm doing business--I'm all business. Meaning that when the outcome has to rely on facts, figures, & analysis all feelings get put aside, no abstract, wishy-washy emotions, just straight up wise minded logic. Hard to make me cry, yet if I feel like I'm going to, I get angry on the inside and straight faced serious on the outside ...and to toss Astrology in the mix, my Mars is un affected in Scorpio...much of my chart is "Fire Water" :muahaha: Sag, Aries, Scorp, Pisces well blended with grounded Tuarus and capped off with Virgo & Capricorn, practical analysis meets boiling water in the boardroom :eyetwitch: I'm heart-led much of the time, but when it comes to decision making...especially if it involves mine or others' finances, and especially employees' rights, all the gloves come off. :joey: (We won't mention the heart ache that comes on in the aftermath because I really can't stomach it if I think I've deeply hurt someone).

One of my favorite jobs was as Arbitrator-Mediator for a fairly large corporation. I have a great poker face to go along with my sweet INFJ stare, lol. More than once the COO and Sr. HR director, both quite tough business fellas, told me that I scared the crap out of them. I would jokingly try to explain that I adhered to right and wrong fairness, business is business while love is overrated, lol. I think the root cause really was I don't back down once I conclued what's fair for all involved. (That Sag-Aries combo, lol)

And,
I've talked to @Pin here and there, but not strategically ;)

My friends aren’t into MBTI so much that they’re typing me, but when the topic comes up, no one is surprised that I type as an INFJ. I was the one surprised because I did a poll years ago and my friends all turned out to be ENxx types.

Reactions: Ren and Free
I have been called an ENFP once, but that's also not untrue as it is my shadow and I do come across as ENFPish when I'm drunk.

Twins? :p

My friends aren’t into MBTI so much that they’re typing me, but when the topic comes up, no one is surprised that I type as an INFJ. I was the one surprised because I did a poll years ago and my friends all turned out to be ENxx types.

INFJs typically get along quite well with ENxx types, I think. Especially ENTP/ENFP. At least I do, so it would make sense in a way :)

In one body perhaps. Wait, wouldn't that make me schizo? :tonguewink:

It might. Also I'm not sure combining both of our intensities in one body would be very healthy for the said body. :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

By the way, I had a question related to shadows. I understand what the shadow functions of the INFJ are. But how come different INFJs seem to have different shadow types, if the shadow functions are firmly set? Just curious - if you don't mind clarifying that for me.

Reactions: Free and Ginny
That's the first I'm hearing of it. What brings you to say that? What do you mean by "shadow types"?

I'm not a 100% sure, to be honest. From what I read, the shadow functions of the INFJ are, well - Ne, Fi, Te and Si. But then, some INFJs say they have an ESTP shadow, others say they have an ENFP shadow, etc. I just don't understand the logic behind those differences.

I'm not a 100% sure, to be honest. From what I read, the shadow functions of the INFJ are, well - Ne, Fi, Te and Si. But then, some INFJs say they have an ESTP shadow, others say they have an ENFP shadow, etc. I just don't understand the logic behind those differences.
Oh, lol. I understand the logic behind it, but the shadow is in the MBTI only the ENFP. ESTP, and I suppose the other would be ISTJ (the ESTP's shadow), is known in the socionics model A (?) as the dual, the type most suited to complement yours because they are able to boost your naturally less used functions while having your shadow functions also as their shadow functions. Therefore, there would be theoretically less cause for dissent in terms of argumentation. I forget what the others are called, but I think the ISTJ would be the conflict relation to the INFJ, being the dual for the shadow.

I think it's mostly a difference in terminology, that they don't exactly know what to call them and therefore call it shadow, when actually the shadow is something within the self. I don't know if there is something ESTP or ISTJ-ish in the INFJ.

Anyone else have a perspective to share on this?

Edit: I think there might be something to it if you counted these types as approximations in the deintegration towards/beyond the shadow self. Se-dom ESTP would be the closest to describing the INFJ in the grip, although the use of Se is so abundant that the other functions seem inaccessible, which is not a description for a healthy ESTP, but rather one that is halfway to being in the grip themself. Less even can I explain the ISTJ-ishness, which would be the terminal stop in the downward spiral. Being stuck in a negative Si frame while relying on Te for support. This is self-deprecation manifest with the INFJ, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I think @Ren that when I'm doing business--I'm all business. Meaning that when the outcome has to rely on facts, figures, & analysis all feelings get put aside, no abstract, wishy-washy emotions, just straight up wise minded logic. Hard to make me cry, yet if I feel like I'm going to, I get angry on the inside and straight faced serious on the outside ...and to toss Astrology in the mix, my Mars is un affected in Scorpio...much of my chart is "Fire Water" :muahaha: Sag, Aries, Scorp, Pisces well blended with grounded Tuarus and capped off with Virgo & Capricorn, practical analysis meets boiling water in the boardroom :eyetwitch: I'm heart-led much of the time, but when it comes to decision making...especially if it involves mine or others' finances, and especially employees' rights, all the gloves come off. :joey: (We won't mention the heart ache that comes on in the aftermath because I really can't stomach it if I think I've deeply hurt someone).

One of my favorite jobs was as Arbitrator-Mediator for a fairly large corporation. I have a great poker face to go along with my sweet INFJ stare, lol. More than once the COO and Sr. HR director, both quite tough business fellas, told me that I scared the crap out of them. I would jokingly try to explain that I adhered to right and wrong fairness, business is business while love is overrated, lol. I think the root cause really was I don't back down once I conclued what's fair for all involved. (That Sag-Aries combo, lol)

And,
I've talked to @Pin here and there, but not strategically ;)
I can very much relate to this Sandie! At work I have and naturally take on a leadership role. I'm often typed as an ENTJ by other NTJ's because I've had to learn to be scarily objective and assertive. I'm equally typed an ENFJ by other NF's and SF's I work with because regardless of how objective I may seem, the feels will always invade my decisions and I'll argue with superiors for what my moral compass deems right, even if it means breaking precious ENTJ law. Before any role I squeeze into, I always remain an advocate at heart.
Many companies use a personality test of some sort, at least the companies I've worked for. Upon an annual review my ENTJ boss was looking through my employee file and came across my personality results, "Oh, well this all makes sense now." >.< I think it's hard for some people to believe that an INFJ can and will turn vicious and sometimes irrational to fight for what they believe in, hence the common mistypes. I like to think of something @souvenir had told me once, "You see what's lacking, and you change to fill in the holes." :rainbowheart:
Outside of work there are only a handful that know of MBTI at all, but even if no one knows, it's painfully evident that I'm an introvert. I recently had Mr. Free take a test on my behalf, answering for me with my being in mind. The results were INFJ.
Online I've been typed as an ENFJ a few times. My explanation for that, very much like Lady J has said, depends upon
my state of mind and hence how I present myself outwardly
Also, #Capricorn, for however that a/effects anything.

I wrote this in another thread, but it depends on how “shadow” is defined. INFJ functions in reverse order is the ESTP shadow. INFJ functional opposite in the same order is the ENFP shadow. INFJ functional opposites in reverse order is the ISTJ shadow.

I tend to think ENFPs are our shadows in the psychological sense of being the part of ourselves that are repressed. I’ve spoken with my ENFP friends before about how on the outside I’m like them on their inside, and vice versa. Or, how we’re two sides of a coin. It’s interesting.

An interesting concept, the shadow functions. It's as if the shadow emerges, does its thing to protect us, and then appeals to diplomatic immunity, avoiding the blame because they represent a state of mind foreign to us, while the more mature functions need to pick up the pieces. The fact that such behaviour is so far from our usual mode of functioning makes it seem like the INFJ shadow really is something alien, leaving behind the question: "Why did I, a (supposedly) mature adult, behave like that?". Hence the immunity: if it's some instinctive reaction, we might never own up to it and admit that we're all capable of being pretty nasty and that it's not merely some unusual reaction, but a potentially destructive defense mechanism that's a part of our personality.

1975+One+Nation+in+Dirigible.jpg

what my moral compass deems right
Exactly this @Free
And this >
an advocate at heart
I like to think of something @souvenir had told me once, "You see what's lacking, and you change to fill in the holes." :rainbowheart:
This is quite spot on. ;)

And #Capricorn...practicality, depending on where it is in your Natal Chart, it's the 'authority'. It will stand on truth...The Law.

My Rising sign, the Ascendant, is Cancer aka The Mother of the zodiac , this makes Capricorn my Descendant, Cap energy is often called The Father. With both 'parental energies' in my 1st house, (how people view us in the external world), gives me that vibe of the protective parent who loves her children unconditionally ;)

If only to reveal that @Free and @Sandie33 are two hard-headed ENTJs in real life, this thread was worth it. :grin:
ROF-LOL
public vs private persona dear @Ren ... now aren't you glad you got to see mine & @Free 's privates ?

:p, gotcha, don't forget my naughty side. Is that an ENTJ or INFJ trait ♡

If the internet is to be trusted, it seems that only ESFPs have a naughty side. NTs do nothing but analyze the universe, SJs work like mad and NFs write poetry about how amazing their (imaginary or not) friends are.

ROF-LOL
public vs private persona dear @Ren ... now aren't you glad you got to see mine & @Free 's privates ?

:m153:

(Also I understand your mention of Enneagram 2w3 better now, miss naughty ENTJ!)

If the internet is to be trusted, it seems that only ESFPs have a naughty side. NTs do nothing but analyze the universe, SJs work like mad and NFs write poetry about how amazing their (imaginary or not) friends are.

Those are regrettable clichés – and yet, if I had to count how many forlorn romantic poems I wrote in the 2000s... :m187:

Those are regrettable clichés – and yet, if I had to count how many forlorn romantic poems I wrote in the 2000s...
Yeah, me too :blush: ...until I realized that I can never show them to anyone. Either you're in a position to do more interesting things than write poetry, or then you're pining away in a bedsit thinking of someone far away, which might appear more or less creepy. Poems written about real people are often self-indulgent and, if read by anyone, have unforeseeable consequences, usually something that makes life more complicated even (or especially) if the poems are enjoyed.