Guardian angels | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Guardian angels

I've always associated the word serendipity with a giigggantic slide with many curves and ups 'n downs.

Lol thanks for the mental image XD

Uhu, but the two go hand in hand.
And I believe that you're not being rational if you believe in a selfcentered being that wants to be praised,
and if you don't praise him enough, he'll torture you eternally.
So Newton and similar genius people were not rational by you? I don't care if someone is rational, you don't have to be rational to be a genius and a great inventor. Which was the point I was trying to make.

I don't believe in a self-centred being that will torture me eternally if I don't praise him enough, but I see why people believe in that image, and though I don't believe in that particular image I'm highly spiritual, I just don't feel like shearing my beliefs with other people, and frankly don't give a rats ass if someone will consider me not rational as long as I'm clearly a genius. :p

So Newton and similar genius people were not rational by you? I don't care if someone is rational, you don't have to be rational to be a genius and a great inventor. Which was the point I was trying to make.

I don't believe in a self-centred being that will torture me eternally if I don't praise him enough, but I see why people believe in that image, and though I don't believe in that particular image I'm highly spiritual, I just don't feel like shearing my beliefs with other people, and frankly don't give a rats ass if someone will consider me not rational as long as I'm clearly a genius. :p

Not rational in that aspect.

Also, I'm not saying they're not rational.
I'm saying I believe they aren't. There's a big difference.
My beliefs are not a universal truth, because they haven't been proven, but I obviously have my reasons to believe in them.
Just like you guys have reasons to believe in spiritual beings.

Let's all cuddle now and forget about this horrible affair.

Some ideas that were previously thought ridiculous later proving to be true is in no way evidence that any single idea that is thought of as ridiculous today is true.

There is no evidence to suggest that guardian angels exist. There is plenty of evidence to suggest they don't as the concept comes from Christianity which has been proven to not be true. Before you say it hasn't I'd like to remind you that all concepts and ideas ultimately come from the bible which has been proven to not be true.

People feeling the presence of god is not proof of god. It is proof of humans ability to feel and interpret those feelings.

People having near death experiences and feeling like they had some sort of magical protector is simply the same thing.

Just like many ideas from the past have been proven to be true. So too have many proven to be false.

A nice idea is proof of nothing

When you're dead, I'm going to get terribly drunk, I'm going to come to your grave.

I'll light a cigar, sit down on the grass, wet or not, and scatter a few daisies your way.

I'll sigh, I'll cry, and then I'll say:

"Hey, I know you're dead in there.

I know you're gone, just a few atoms scattering, a few mounds of flesh breaking down.

You don't even exist..

My only regret is that I can't scold you now, that I can't say I told you so, that it was all nonsense after all.

Where are those angels now?"

Some ideas that were previously thought ridiculous later proving to be true is in no way evidence that any single idea that is thought of as ridiculous today is true.

There is no evidence to suggest that guardian angels exist. There is plenty of evidence to suggest they don't as the concept comes from Christianity which has been proven to not be true. Before you say it hasn't I'd like to remind you that all concepts and ideas ultimately come from the bible which has been proven to not be true.

certain aspects of the bible have been proven untrue, i agree, but if taken as an allegory rather than an actual representation of reality then the bible has quite a lot of insight about the world. i guess in reference to guardian angels specifically though you're right, there's more evidence against their existence than for it..... buuuut haven't you ever had things happen to you that just should've have happened according to the laws of probabiltiy? that were just too much of a fortunate coincidence to undoubtedly be a coincidence? maybe i just want to believe so much that i'll contort what is right in front of me into a more pleasant reality.. (hehe, i bet i wouldn't be the only one, in that case)... but i also think i could be right. not because of how i feel, but because certain things greatly defy the odds. there are no obvious causal links from point a to point b... of course that could be simply be because we don't understand the world enough to see the links.. but on the other hand, think about the fact that we're on a planet bursting with life, while at the same time there's not a single lifeform on any other planet in the entire solar system. that if we were even just a couple of degrees away from or towards the sun, we'd never have been born. none of this would be here. if anyone of a billion of events hadn't happened, we wouldn't be sitting here talking right now. but we are. we're here right now and maybe that's for a reason, maybe it's not a coincidence. maybe we are part of something greater than we realize, and are simply too small (metaphorically) to see it.

When you're dead, I'm going to get terribly drunk, I'm going to come to your grave.

I'll light a cigar, sit down on the grass, wet or not, and scatter a few daisies your way.

I'll sigh, I'll cry, and then I'll say:

"Hey, I know you're dead in there.

I know you're gone, just a few atoms scattering, a few mounds of flesh breaking down.

You don't even exist..

My only regret is that I can't scold you now, that I can't say I told you so, that it was all nonsense after all.

Where are those angels now?"

all you really are now, objectively speaking, is a few atoms combining... where is that wit coming from? if we cut apart your brain we couldn't find it. that part of you that is YOU, your thoughts, your conscious and subconscious mind, that's not easy to see. but you can feel it. you know it's there, just like we know you have an imagination, because WE all have imaginations... not because we can experience them directly. maybe religion and god and spirituality is the same... but we lack the words to describe it in a way that'll resonate with another.

The chances of any single coincidence happening are often astronomical but events don't occur individually. Life is an incredibly complicated series of trillions and trillions of events. The odds of coincidences happening when seen from this perspective are guaranteed.

It would be even stranger if they never happened

all you really are now, objectively speaking, is a few atoms combining... where is that wit coming from? if we cut apart your brain we couldn't find it. that part of you that is YOU, your thoughts, your conscious and subconscious mind, that's not easy to see. but you can feel it. you know it's there, just like we know you have an imagination, because WE all have imaginations... not because we can experience them directly. maybe religion and god and spirituality is the same... but we lack the words to describe it in a way that'll resonate with another.

Wit is making connections between things, and the product of that is by our standards 'funny'.
We've been taught what's funny, sad, bad, ...

We are only starting to understand the functions of the brain on a chemical level April, I daresay it won't be long before we can pinpoint silly things like wit on chemical level.:3

We are only starting to understand the functions of the brain on a chemical level April, I daresay it won't be long before we can pinpoint silly things like wit on chemical level.:3

"Wit is far more often a shield than a lance."
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."

:m107:

In regards to guardian angels. I do believe in them, but not in a classical sense. I don't really think spirit(s) are "assigned" to one person that follow you around. I think its more of an essence or group that you can call on and that can protect you when needed. It also depends on the person, some people are more "watched" then others. There are times when they will step in when needed, or called upon, and there are other cases where they are not allowed to step in.

Reactions: Siamese cat
In regards to guardian angels. I do believe in them, but not in a classical sense. I don't really think spirit(s) are "assigned" to one person that follow you around. I think its more of an essence or group that you can call on and that can protect you when needed. It also depends on the person, some people are more "watched" then others. There are times when they will step in when needed, or called upon, and there are other cases where they are not allowed to step in.

What causes you to believe this?

That's quite a specific belief system that to me would require some sort of evidence

Considering something a possibility is very different to believing it to be true. Are you saying you truly believe this?

When it comes to spiritual "evidence" (and I don't like to call it evidence, because it isn't), I go by things I see around me, and what makes "logical" sense in the grand scheme of things. I know of some people who say they have one or two guardian angles, and I do think they are accurate in their personal view. However, when they call on them, I am less inclined to think it will always be this exact guardian who would end up helping them or guiding them when they ask for it; they just don't know it. It does not make sense to me that the same spirit or energy will be consistantly around them.

When it comes to them responding to requests, there are times where they simply will not be allowed to interfear. I believe that everyone has come to this world to more or less experience certain things, or go through certain trials. Because of this, there are times where interfeerence is not allowed as it would then block the person from going through these experiences. As such it could appear to others as if they are "ignored".

None of this is proof, not in the least. I will never attempt to prove or disprove any spiritual belief system. This is just what have observed through out my life, and after some thought what makes the most sense to me. A core belief I hold is "what you believe is what you get" (there is much more to it then that, but that's a good summation), and since I think spirituality is all inclusive and universal, that the same things will occur just through different lenses. One of the purposes of my belief is to remove the lenses from myself.

When it comes to spiritual "evidence" (and I don't like to call it evidence, because it isn't), I go by things I see around me, and what makes "logical" sense in the grand scheme of things. I know of some people who say they have one or two guardian angles, and I do think they are accurate in their personal view. However, when they call on them, I am less inclined to think it will always be this exact guardian who would end up helping them or guiding them when they ask for it; they just don't know it. It does not make sense to me that the same spirit or energy will be consistantly around them.

When it comes to them responding to requests, there are times where they simply will not be allowed to interfear. I believe that everyone has come to this world to more or less experience certain things, or go through certain trials. Because of this, there are times where interfeerence is not allowed as it would then block the person from going through these experiences. As such it could appear to others as if they are "ignored".

None of this is proof, not in the least. I will never attempt to prove or disprove any spiritual belief system. This is just what have observed through out my life, and after some thought what makes the most sense to me. A core belief I hold is "what you believe is what you get" (there is much more to it then that, but that's a good summation), and since I think spirituality is all inclusive and universal, that the same things will occur just through different lenses. One of the purposes of my belief is to remove the lenses from myself.

[MENTION=387]IndigoSensor[/MENTION]

Good post (!)

Anytime I think of the spiritual realm, I think of the absurdity of quantum theory. They both would seem equally possible to me in the absence of evidence.

However, my representation of "guardian angel" is just the combination of an unconscious cognitive structure in the mind of each person and the human need to search for meaning in all things.

ETA: When I say that, though, it's actually something I came up with just now, because I hadn't entertained much thought on this subject since I've reconstructed my philosophy of life.

Last edited:
I have pretty specific views on religion, spirituality and guardian angels.

Religion and spirituality are two very different things. I equate religion with rules, guidelines, structure, power and money. I equate it with "you must do this and you must not do that."

Spirituality, in my opinion is more of a feeling and an experience. It's a deep sense of "knowing". It is something that resonates in the soul. Spiritual is what you become when something moves inside of you are you feel like you are apart of something bigger than what's written in a book and it's not something you can clearly define or explain to anyone.

I don't believe in Guardian Angels in the traditional sense. I can't ignore the fact that they've been a common belief throughout the ages. I think it's easier for people to make up an identity for the energy or whatever it is that people feel is "helping" them in difficult times. I can't imagine that there are spirit guides in misty human forms surrounding me and protecting me. It just doesn't work out in my mind anymore, even though I used to believe that to be true.

I believe in the concept of "Ask and you shall receive," or in other words, the Law of Attraction. If you put enough mental energy into a concept and you really focus on what it is you need, then I think that the universe will respond. It may not be obvious to you what's happening, and you may not think it is "working" but I do think there's a force beyond our comprehension that works in our favour. Whether that be God, Guardian Angels or other spirits, I don't know. I don't think that there's any way I could describe it that would do justice to it.

Anytime I think of the spiritual realm, I think of the absurdity of quantum theory. They both would seem equally possible to me in the absence of evidence.

However, my representation of "guardian angel" is just the combination of an unconscious cognitive structure in the mind of each person and the human need to search for meaning in all things.

ETA: When I say that, though, it's actually something I came up with just now, because I hadn't entertained much thought on this subject since I've reconstructed my philosophy of life.

There is no shortage of evidence for quantum theory. The computer you are using is evidence.