Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

Eniko

May snark if provoked
Donor
May 13, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
I'm curious. Would you date a smoker, ever? Is it no problem, a giant deal breaker, or what? Would you go on a casual date with a smoker, or would you only entertain dating a smoker if you were extremely into them?

I've been giving this topic a lot of thought lately. I'm pretty anti-smoking myself, having grown up with asthma (which nearly killed me when I was tiny) in a home with two chainsmoking parents. My father left and my mom quit years ago, and I'm much happier not having to deal with the effects of smoking.

So I guess my own answer would be "no". But then, depending on how much someone smokes, how considerate they are towards me in consuming their icky habit, and how much I dig them I'm not sure if I'd let it stop me. It's really hard to think about, actually.

:m075:

I voted no because I'm allergic to smoke. If I wasn't allergic I would date someone who did as long as they didn't smoke like 8 packs a day or something.

i had been anti-smoking all my life, then i met someone who did smoke and it really led me to question whether or not it really mattered if she smoked or not. i'd tolerate smoking in regards to someone i'm attracted to, however i'm not sure if it'd work out in the long run.

I couldn't tolerate it. I work with a bunch of smokers, and they reek. I can't imagine being close (physically) with someone who reeked of cigarettes, so that would be a deal breaker for me. Pipe tobacco is another matter - but how many girls use that? :wink: (And no, I do not smoke at all.)

I'm a non-smoker who moved in and fell in love with a smoker. It was harder at first, but I can't get hung up on surface issues. I'm willing to adapt if the core issues are in place. I would rather he quit, but I don't make it any sort of issue. I moved in knowing he smokes, so feel it would not be ethical to change the terms. My life has required constant adaptation for which I am grateful. It makes this kind of thing relatively easy.

I'd date a smoker. I'm not a smoker because it's expensive and it would kill me. If I was still with said smoker for more than a year I'd have to either give them up, or they'd have to quit.

Unless of course I've found good lungs for harvest.

I'd say it's 50/50 for yes or not. Although, I'd probably not just because of the implications smoking comes with when you're 15/16. The majority of people in this age range who smoke seem to always drink and have three charges of theft on their record...

Here's my answer.
[youtube]DGNCXyVtni8[/youtube]

He died. But don't worry, we'll all die too in the future.

Reactions: Lune Froide
I would date a girl who smokes or dips or smokes cigars or pipes, but not if she smoked Camels. They smell bad and make the environment smell bad.

Last edited:
I've only dated one smoker and it was very casual and didn't last long. I don't like the taste of it when I kiss them and I can't stand the smell on their bodies and in their homes & cars. I don't think people are lesser for smoking at all, my brothers are heaving smokers and my daddy smoke from 12 until he was 36. Cigarette some usually makes me sick if I'm around it for too long, too.

I most definitely would give a strong "no" to guys that dip. I hate spitting and the orange spittle of dip is just foul to me. I found out my husband had tried dipping about a year before I met him. Thank God he wasn't doing it when we met. My feelings for it could have prevented the life we have now...of course, with that said, we should probably be more open to the idea of dating smokers.

I'd say it's 50/50 for yes or not. Although, I'd probably not just because of the implications smoking comes with when you're 15/16. The majority of people in this age range who smoke seem to always drink and have three charges of theft on their record...

i started smoking when i was 12... loved drinkin' even then... but never grand theft auto...

and smoked until i was 19, when i quit for over a year... then picked it back up before joining the navy...

then there was the SEAL training i was doing which encouraged me to quit again, for a few months at a time... but i always cam back to smoking...

then i got out, moved back home... and then just quit cold turkey, about a month ago...

no... i would prefer not to date a smoker... but Love knows no boundaries...

... and i don't live in a box...

so, even if she smoked, i wouldn't care... and would probably pick it up again...

... heh... so i have a few vices... who doesn't..?

I'm a smoker who's considerate of non-smokers -- I even kept my smoking down to less than 12 a day for the past 9 years. I can understand issues non-smokers would have with the smell not to mention that it's an important part of general hygiene, especially if the smoker fails to brush. However I don't see why its such a deal breaker if one gets used to it. It seems unwise to exclude someone from relationship potential based on that single defining factor. I suppose however, it would make one less attractive if other factors were equal.

of course, with that said, we should probably be more open to the idea of dating smokers.
Why should we probably be more open to the idea of dating smokers exactly? I'm curious what makes you say that.

Why should we probably be more open to the idea of dating smokers exactly? I'm curious what makes you say that.

I made that statement after mentioning the fact that not a year before I met my husband he was dipping. Had he been dipping when I met him, we wouldn't be married and have a beautiful son. We'd both still be unhappy and alone. It's more of a matter of "to each his own". If bad teeth, blonde hair, fat, skinny, short, tall, black, white, whatever is something that turns you off about someone else, then that's all up to you. But, if you exclude a group of people from your repertoire of possible love interests then you have the possibility of excluding a wonderful person that you would otherwise find incredibly attractive, inside and out.

I'm a smoker who's considerate of non-smokers -- I even kept my smoking down to less than 12 a day for the past 9 years. I can understand issues non-smokers would have with the smell not to mention that it's an important part of general hygiene, especially if the smoker fails to brush. However I don't see why its such a deal breaker if one gets used to it. It seems unwise to exclude someone from relationship potential based on that single defining factor. I suppose however, it would make one less attractive if other factors were equal.
Second hand smoking is more deadly than the smoking itself.

What about a casual smoker? Or someone who smokes something besides cigarettes in a responsible manner?

What about a casual smoker? Or someone who smokes something besides cigarettes in a responsible manner?
Second hand smoking is more deadly than smoking itself.

I'd not mind dating or casually fucking a smoker, but beyond a year it's serious and they'd have to give it up or me up.

That's news to me. Could you cite a reference or something?
http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/secondhandsmoke/a/secondhandsmoke.htm
Secondhand smoke is serious business

http://heartdisease.about.com/od/smokingandheartdisease/a/2ndhandsmoke.htm?terms=second+hand+smoke
Secondhand smokers have a risk of coronary heart disease that is 30% higher than for nonsmokers who are not exposed to secondhand smoke. In contrast, the risk for actual smokers is increased by 80%. So, while the dose of smoke inhaled by passive smoking is 100 times smaller than for smokers, the increase in risk to the nonsmokers is much, much greater than that. Indeed, their excess risk is almost 40% as high as the excess risk to the smokers themselves.